Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Complete Crisis of Motivation
Quote | Reply
So as the title states. in the past two months, my motivation to train has completely collapsed. (I'm a cyclist only, but the sport should have no affect on the collapse)

I went from 150-165#, mileage plummetted, and I have no desire to ride my bike inside. The few outside rides i've done, it doesn't feel like I've lost too much fitness, but i definitely don't feel like i'm in shape.

How do ya'll overcome a collapse in motivation and get back on the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [RKW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless your livelihood depends on it, you don't need to ride. So if you don't feel like it don't do it.

NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How do ya'll overcome a collapse in motivation and get back on the "horse"?

Do something else. Life's too short to worry about it. After I lost my motivation for triathlon a number of years ago, I thought about what inspired me. Turns out it was running and not swim/bike. Guess what, now I only run and am very happy. I'm sure at some point I'll lose that mojo for running and I'll turn to something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as the others have noted: you don't have to do anything. i tell myself that a lot and it makes things easier. when i decide i want to be active, i do it and i have fun. when i don't want to, i don't. for example i would argue swimming is important for triathlons not to mention great exercise, and yet i have only been in the pool four times since my last race on september 30. i also don't care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is for fun. If you don't want to do it anymore, it's fine to take a break. I've done it several times, the desire to start racing again always comes back.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m right there with you. I started 2018 with 50 miles on the trainer. I’m close to 1,000 miles now, but my run and swim volume are both down. I’m trying to take the approach of doing what I want when I want. This was supposed to be a big year for me as the third year of a three year build. I rode outside until Christmas Day. A lot of those rides were in the teens and alone. Several in snow flurries. Kind of thought it would make me tougher, but it’s actually taken the fun out of it. It’s become a grind of early morning torture. I’ve been sleeping in and slacking lately. Maybe it’s needed and this is just life telling me to lay off for a while. I’m kind of concerned with my first race of 2018 in late May.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can bribe yourself.

You can lie to yourself. (You say, "I'm not biking today," as you walk put the door to go for your ride. Then, "I'm just riding around the block." Then, "I'll just go 10 miles. If I hate it, I'll quit." These are all lies. You must ride at least 30 miles. You should be ashamed to ride less than that.)

Set a plan and then turn off your mind. Don't have any internal dialogue at all. Don't talk about it. Don't think. Just do.

Shift into "fantasy mode." You're smoking hot, with awesomely strong legs. The weather is great. A really attractive girl/guy is going to see you on this ride. Somehow you're 24 years old again. Your life soundtrack is rocking! Go get 'em, tiger!!

Use your tricks to work your way through the doldrums. At some point, you will realize that you've become really strong and biking feels good again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't train, just go ride. You probably didn't get off the training wheels so you could race so why not spend some time relearning what got you on the bike in the first place? I've still got my first road bike, it's been around the world with me, still has old 8 speed Shimano 600. It does now lack a computer, clipless pedals, a racing seat, and the old lower stem. It's great for riding the bike path with my daughter, riding to school with her or for going on 10-20 mile rides that go no place and accomplish nothing other than a ride. It's reminded me why riding was always fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [Fuzzybunnies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to remind folks that something doesn't have to be fun to be fun. Sometimes, the most fun happens when you think you're miserable. It's good to suffer through some low-motivation tough times. If you're only riding when you feel like riding, you're missing out on a lot of fun!

Also, the OP didn't ask for excuses or permission to be unmotivated. He asked for help getting his groove back.

I'm feeling feisty because the 100/100 is getting really hard for me. I've lost that lovin' feeling, too. But, I'm not stopping, by golly!
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [Fuzzybunnies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps do some local fun rides. Like a weekend no drop B group for 60 miles. With a coffee break. And scenery. Go do a casual mountain ride. Put a big platter on the back and spin easy.

Find a local brewery ride. Sometimes you get a patch for finishing a casual century.

In the couple weeks between intense interval plans that’s what I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My club is a big source of motivation for me. Nothing more uplifting than riding in a pack with 100 like-minded people. And if you place yourself in a position of responsibility, like leading some of the rides, that is a great way to get you out when you don’t feel like it. Maybe you could take a break til spring, and in the meantime shop around for a club in your area to join if you don’t already belong to one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. After moving city and job 8 months ago, working away for six months, then the family coming to join me at xmas... I still have little motivation, which is especially galling as I used to pull 18-12 training hours a week

When I was getting ready to move, I thought - Great! No family around, I am going to do a shit tonne of training during the week and have an easy weekend with the family. It's gonna be great! The reality was that I just couldn't be bothered after a long day in the office. After things settled down at work I got in a good five weeks on the static trainer in Nov-Dec.

However, when the family moved down to me in Dec, I thought - Great! Family is here, I am going to get back into the swing of it, a little here, a little there, no stress, just build back up slowly. The reality was that I couldn't be bothered, and spent to tonne of time enjoying family time, after a long day in the office.

Since xmas I'm leading a big org change and frankly I've not much time or motivation to train. I came to the realisation that the stress of missing training was only having a detrimental effect on me. Acceptance was tough though.

Since I came to being at peace with not training, I've had more desire to get out and do a little here and there, and enjoy it all the more.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, not looking for an excuse to not ride my bike - i'm more than capable of coming up with those. It's more I can't get over the drudgery of riding the trainer or rollers. Irrespective of what I'm doing, zwift, movie, etc. it still feels like being on a hamster wheel, and with my idiotic work schedule, I don't really have time to ride with any of the groups except on weekends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RKW wrote:
Yeah, not looking for an excuse to not ride my bike - i'm more than capable of coming up with those. It's more I can't get over the drudgery of riding the trainer or rollers. Irrespective of what I'm doing, zwift, movie, etc. it still feels like being on a hamster wheel, and with my idiotic work schedule, I don't really have time to ride with any of the groups except on weekends.

sounds like it's time to get a mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do Something Else- run, swim, gym -- the world's your fitness oyster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to the David Goggins interview on the Joe Rogan podcast... that fired me up yesterday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know the feeling, particularly as related to trainer. would suggest eliminating hard trainer rides. Do much easier wattage with short intervals that feel easy. Limit time on trainer to less that hour. Don't feel guilty for not pushing normal watts. Take shorter/easy outdoor rides. Forget what you have done in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may consider trying trail running or run/walk or hike. To me, it's a fantastic way to leave the rat race behind and enjoy the outdoors and get in tune with where you are at in life. Fresh air, trees and a little exercise does not discriminate. Don't make it easy though...run a bit! Another option is to simply reset your expectations and goals. Sign up for something, anything...get a partner in crime to to hold each other accountable to make it fun again. Each step of the way should be a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried watching bike racing? On days I'm unmotivated, if I watch the final few k of a sprint stage, or a midweek classic like Le Samyn, it gets me all fired up again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you take an off-season? When are your first races scheduled for?

If you didn't take an off-season, as some here like to say is unnecessary, then this is one of the possible effects of that decision. It's really hard to maintain motivation for hard training all year. Some can do it, most of us can't. If your races are far enough away, then take a short break now to recharge and do something else, and also take that time to think about why you put yourself through all the training to begin with. It may not be worth it right now, or it might be, but why make yourself miserable?

When I say "why make yourself miserable" I'm not talking about the discomfort of hard training days or rides in bad conditions, etc. You do those because they are worth the discomfort. But do ask yourself "why am I doing this?".

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're so inclined to 'unpack' your motivation, here are some key questions:

On a scale 1 (not at all) to 10 (totally), how important is it for you to do cycle training?

What's good for you about cycling?

What's not so good?

What are your challenges to cycle training?

What do you hope to get out of cycle training?

What's one thing (a behaviour) that will move you in the direction of your hopes?

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RKW wrote:

I assume you don't have the option to commute to work via bike, even one day a week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this on my run today, and I think motivation can be viewed as a cost/benefit analysis that you do as you contemplate a workout. Because the analysis is in your head, it is subject to the influence of your moods, diet, sleep, etc.

When you feel low motivation, your thoughts emphasize the cost and minimize the benefit of riding on your hamster wheel. So, to reverse that, maybe you should actively think of mentally minimizing the cost and emphasizing the benefit.

Step 1 is to recognize low motivation.
Step 2 is to id the thoughts that skew your cost/benefit analysis. Also, consider other things that might influence your thoughts (diet, sleep, overtraining, etc).
Step 3 is to change the thoughts so that you increase your attention to the benefits of the work out. Also, fix the diet, sleep, etc contributors.

Use external cues (like notes to yourself, race photos, race bibs, medals) to help you remember the benefits of riding the hamster wheel.

Watching fuuny movies or shows about bike racing, bribing yourself, fantasizing, riding in a group with others, etc are fun and will add to the benefits side of your analysis.

I didn't think beyond the above ideas because my run ended. There's more to it, I am sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Complete Crisis of Motivation [CalamityJane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the same mode, I travel 70-80% for my job and it has been a rough patch away from home. I don't have the motivation to run after work when on the road and then my bike training has suffered and I don't want to get on a trainer on the weekends. My first half marathon of the season is in May and I haven't ran over a 5k in months. Hopefully Chicago warms up soon because the dreadmill and trainer are not doing it for me and I need to get outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty drastic collapse and it certainly might be typical burnout. Is it possible that you have something wrong with your hormone levels? Both thyroid and testosterone hormone abnormalities can definitely cause a lack of motivation or low energy. Do you have a doctor that you can go see? Alternatively, it's pretty easy (at least in the US) to order a testosterone test from an online service and see whether you need to speak with a medical professional about getting hormone replacement.

Dietary changes could be playing a role here but not sure if you made any recently. Taking it easy for a while (like others suggested) might be the cure.
Quote Reply

Prev Next