Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compex / Marc Pro / Globus Tips
Quote | Reply
Looking to make my learning curve a bit shorter with the help of the ST faithful. Curious if anybody out there is using EMS as seen in the Marc Pro / Compex / Globus devices in their recovery programs. I've gotten my hands on a Compex and I'm putting it through the rigors but I'm finding the manual and application booklet very very vague. There doesn't seem to be any best practices or comprehensive guides to follow, or at least none that suit the end user.

Curious if anybody has experience with these devices? Any recommendations on which one is best suited for an endurance athlete? How about optimization methods to get the most out of the machines. Thus far I've been using Active Recovery and Reviving Massage in combination with the picture chart below.

Any comments or help would be great!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Compex / Marc Pro / Globus Tips [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I don't have experience with either of the units listed, the VA did give me an stim unit to help with neck pain caused by herniated disks. It seems(ed) to help a bit. I haven't used it to "recover" from a training session (all I'm doing currently is running), but after yesterday (2 mile run at moderate pace followed by 2 hours of baseball practice with my 15 yr old), I should have used it to see...pretty dang sore today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The most lovely Mrs Avago gave me a Compex Sport back in 2004 or so, and in the early years I used it quite a bit, and as time has gone on, some years I use it a lot, and other times it sits in a draw fro months if not years at a time.
But the only real value I found with it was using the Active Recovery program to flush out the muscles and ease the post exercise aches.
Quad, Hammies & Calves... that's it
would I buy one today? in my current overweight, undertrained and unmotivated state, most likely not.
If I was chasing the 1% ers, and wanted to be as fresh as possible for the next days sessions, then hell yeah, where do I sign...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Elite model & use the guide pictures. The wires are a PITA to keep straight/untangled but have you tried the wireless? My original Elite had a port go bad, had a heckuva time getting Compex to play ball over several years to rectify the situation (I've put in my 2 cents in another thread). But it took Michele Jones to get after it & make it RIGHT. They did the right thing & sent a new one & it works well & I use it a lot more now. I used it after some long runs on Active Recovery (my fav mode) or Massage. Pretty much don't use the other modes.

Agreed on the manual, it's vague. I sort of plant the electrodes wherever there is some sore/tight areas. We are in the same place on the manual. It's a learning curve to just experiment on what works best for you on placing them & what mode or level to use. Not much help but try contacting Compex to see if they have ideas...
Quote Reply
Re: Compex / Marc Pro / Globus Tips [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great insights thanks so much. I have been noticing it works well on my quads. I did the active recovery and reviving massage back to back and they felt "light" afterwards. Calf hasn't been as effective but I'll stick with it.

I've noticed the Marc Pro was exclusively recovery and seemingly more simplistic to use. Since I'm yet to purchase either I was hoping to come across some similar insights on their device.

Decisions decisions

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, just got an account to ask about this. How has EMS been going for you over the last 6 months? I always wanted to try it in addition to foam rolling during my ultra marathon training and it was just too expensive, but I found someone needing to sell their Compex wireless for $400 so I snagged it... too good of a deal to pass up!

my main focus will be calves and quads post long runs to help since i have back-to-back long runs on weekends
Quote Reply
Re: Compex / Marc Pro / Globus Tips [johnb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I landed the Marc Pro but I've used the Compex system. They are definitely different but both work wonders. I'd suggest using the Marc Pro pad placement as they optimized theirs for recovery and waste flushing. You can find the manual here and I've had other Compex users state they prefer these placements as well.

For me I focus on my glutes to stimulate them firing, calves, quads, hamstrings and the shoulder region. I would say I use it week in and week out 3-5 hours easily. I have a desk job so I just pump my legs for a couple hours in different groups throughout the day. I'd say it's given me a bit more bounce in my stride and I feel a bit fresher but that could be in my head. The real advantage was "teaching" certain muscles to fire and for that reason alone I'm happy with the purchase.

------
Last edited by: PushThePace: Jan 23, 17 19:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info!!

I've heard that the Marc Pro is favored for recovery, however I might stick with the Compex since I'm getting a nearly brand new wireless unit for only $400... worst case scenario I can sell it and still purchase a Marc Pro... win-win!
Quote Reply
Re: Compex / Marc Pro / Globus Tips [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just started using the Compex Sport Elite at the start of the year so I can't speak out lengthy experience, but so far using the Active Recovery or Recovery Plus modes seems to be effective. It is time consuming to place all the pads and wiring connections for both legs, but I do think at this time it was a good purchase.

Being new and not having a whole lot of information out there I still do not have a good feel for how much intensity to use in recovery mode. I guess it comes down to experimenting?
Quote Reply
Re: Compex / Marc Pro / Globus Tips [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I used the Compex that what I did. I would use the pad placement guide in the Marc Pro book (less time consuming placement) and then the active recovery mode. As time went on throughout my session I'd slowly amp up the intensity. TheCompex can get a lot more intense than the Marc Pro so I was never able to max out the setting like I have with my Marc Pro.

Anyway you slice it they do a good job of flushing the waste. I had debated this or Normatec boots and the fact I could do more than just my legs is what sold me on EMS vs Normatec.

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do like what I see on the Marc Pro web site. One of my first convincing uses of the Compex was a severe lower back spasm. It was a real challenge to place all the pads on my lower back in the arrangement by the book and I had to do it by feel. I know I did not get them in the exact position and really needed my wife to place the pads, but she was not available at the time. It was difficult with 4 pads and the wires. I must have got them close enough because it seemed to have good results.

I ran the Active Recovery mode first and it felt like it numbed the pain so I ran it again and upped the intensity. It felt a bit better and then just for stupidity sake I ran the Resistance mode with about mid level intensity. The lower back pain was intense enough that the EMS intensity actually felt pretty good. At first I wondered if this was going to be like a masking effect of a tens unit, but the discomfort was totally gone and was totally gone from that point forward. From that point I continued with some glute and hamstring stretching for the next several days. I am pretty much convinced that this was not a temporary masking or placebo effect. Probably not the smartest thing to experiment with the Resistance mode, but what the heck. I could not get comfortable with the lower back spasm as it was so I gave it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Compex / Marc Pro / Globus Tips [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The theory behind the muscle stim on muscle spasms is to fatigue the overactive muscles.
Keep in mind: Muscle spasms (and the pain that comes with) are often a form of splinting to protect you from hurting yourself more.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would add to your question, when would you use one of these devices versus Normatec boots for recovery?
Quote Reply
Re: Compex / Marc Pro / Globus Tips [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is similar. Have a had a Compex Sport for years. Use it on Active Recovery. Usage has been variable..if something's niggling, I'll use it, but then go months without taking it out of the box. I do think it has been worth it as it is one more tool in my recovery/injury prevention and treatment box. Good luck!
Quote Reply