Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Comparing CP30 power values
Quote | Reply
Is there any where I can compare CP30 values vs others. I know Rich has a site but I seem to recall seeing what a typical Cat 1/2/3 etc produced for a cp30 test. My wife just did her cp30 (it was 195) and we're curious as to how that measures up.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Comparing CP30 power values [John Pemberton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to Gordo's forum :

www.gordoworld.com (click on the forum link)

If you post your values and ask for comments, there should be quite a few people answering there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is close to what my wife does for the same test and she rode a 6h05' in Florida this year.
She is a skinny 108lbs woman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com/profile.html

This links to Andrew Coggans "Power Profiling". About half way down the page is a link to an excel spreadsheet with the actual numbers. According to him it's designed to look at ones abilities accross different durations, i.e. see if your threshold power is significantly better developed than your anaerobic power. Coggan gets peaved when people use this chart to compare with CAT labels on the left. I still wonder though, if that's the case, then why is the Y labeled as such?

Anyway, it's interesting, although probably not terribly helpfull for pure triathletes, since it really doesn't matter if your 1 minute power is realtively much weaker than your threshold power.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com. Click on the "power 411" link and then the "power profiling" link. It is an article written by A. Coggan that includes a spreadsheet that can help someone gauge their power/weight ratio against various cats of cycling. The table uses max power over 20 minutes as a test.

Roughly, figure you've got to be mid Cat 3 or better to have the potential for a Kona-quality bike split.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting thread- 2 questions:

John- how did your wife measure her power output? Inside on a CT, or on the road using something else? I know the results are probably equally valid in either case, just curious.

Julian- great cadence/gearing post earlier, should be included in the slowtwitch hall of fame IMO. Why do you say that Cat. 3 or better power/weight is required for a potential Kona qualifier? Is that based on research, or your impressions and experience regarding the numbers provided in the referenced spreadsheet? Again, I'm not sure what difference it makes in interpreting the data, but am curious about what informed your conclusion. Thanks in advance.

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Comparing CP30 power values [kenwil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken,

It was done inside on a CT. We've done them before and made sure it was properly calibrated, etc. so I feel its pretty accurate. I tested mine the next day at 277-which is about what I expected.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks John, I sort of expected that would be the answer, given that about half the population of North America is wearing long underwear right now. I'm coming around to the realization that a CT may be in my near future...

Ken
Quote Reply
Re: Comparing CP30 power values [kenwil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why do you say that Cat. 3 or better power/weight is required for a potential Kona qualifier? Is that based on research, or your impressions and experience regarding the numbers provided in the referenced spreadsheet?

Just one guy's opinion, that's all. I spent some time looking over IM splits of people that I know either personally or that I otherwise follow through their own training logs (online). I've ridden next to people on long rides and in TTs that went on to qualify, so I've got a decent sense of what it takes and what kind of power output is required. That, plus my own testing with my Powertap out at the local TT course. Finally, I played around a lot with various parameters on analyticcycling.com's calculators.

My best hunch is that, if you line up a Kona-quality triathlete at a 40K TT event, they're gonna finish at the high Cat4 to low Cat2 range. A mid-Cat3 rider is doing ~300 watts in a 40K; a front-of-pack IM rider is averaging 200 or so in the IM. An IM rider is riding two "levels" lower than the 40K rider: [1] the duration is longer, of course; and [2] the IM rider is not maxing the effort; he/she is saving something for the run.

I'm guessing that a good IM bike split is about 60-65% of power in a 40K TT. That's how I gauge my own progress. I use 2x 20' intervals as a proxy for a rested, race-day 40K TT, and take 60% of that. Right now, I cannot hope to ride to a qualifying split (my 2x 20' is 250 watts). But, give me time to train, and who knows...
Quote Reply
Re: Comparing CP30 power values [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thanks. I couldn't get to Kona with a 250cc Honda (still have to run) but having quantifiable goals, no matter what the absolute number, is obviously a great way to train. Another reason to train with power...

Ken
Quote Reply