Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Commuting worth it as part of building?
Quote | Reply
I've got a thing in May.

100mi, lots of elevation in the last 25mi. Pretty ho-hum first 75mi.

I plan to start in a faster group and drift back if necessary.

If I look at it from a time and energy spend standpoint, it'll take me 4 hours to reach the base of the climb and probably about 6.5 hrs total.

I can fit in a 4 hour ride each week before then pretty easily. Would adding 2 hours to that on the same day, as part of a commute to work, be beneficial? Or is breaking up the ride time with the work day defeating the purpose?

The issue is, I'm not too happy about the route I'd have to take to get to work on time. If you live in Raleigh and do Tri or ride road, you know Garner Rd.

So, is the commuting option beneficial with maybe a crap route, or just cut it at 4 hours a week and do a few other short workouts each week?
Quote Reply
Re: Commuting worth it as part of building? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes commute whenever you can, the miles add up. If you can use a different route than the one you don’t like. I used to take the busy road in the morning just to get there but take the 20 mile scenic along the river route back home and do intervals on the way or a good tempo. My morning car commute 35-40 minutes or 28 minutes on the bike. I did this for 10 of my 12 Ironman builds and 20 or so early season 70.3s. I only had to do a long bike on the weekends. Did this bike 3-4 times a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extra riding is never a bad thing! The more rides you do the better off you will be. It the commute is not a great one how about time on the trainer (if you have one).

You also want to mix in some interval workouts at and above threshold - hopefully you are already doing this.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live southern Wake county in Garner and work on Rush st. off Hammond. I have been contemplating this idea as well as its only 13 miles, but EVERYONE on the south side of Raleigh is forced to commute up the same 3 roads due to infrastructure limitations. If you don't die, let me know and I will do it as well :)

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Commuting worth it as part of building? [GWcanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes commute whenever you can, the miles add up.

Yes - agreed.

There is a tendency to over-think the training. To make it very complicated. To think it needs all these specific type of workouts and numbers, details. It's actually rather simple. More is more, and as long as that more is done a moderate level of effort, it's all good.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Commuting worth it as part of building? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I live southern Wake county in Garner and work on Rush st. off Hammond. I have been contemplating this idea as well as its only 13 miles, but EVERYONE on the south side of Raleigh is forced to commute up the same 3 roads due to infrastructure limitations. If you don't die, let me know and I will do it as well :)

Exactly!

I mapped a route from my house over to the Neuse trail, but it adds a lot of wasted time. Meaning, time spent at stop lights. Which is time wasted if not cruising.

I think what I'll do instead is just the day I do a night time long ride, also hit the gym at lunch time for some EM pace work. That would end up being 5 hours in one day, just one shy of doing the commute.

Not sure why I didn't think of that! Doh! Big dummy.

Problem pretty much solved there. I won't know what to do with myself at these more moderate intensities!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Commuting definitely makes you stronger and saves time training. Its not so much the workout, but what it adds to your workload. For example, my commute is 25 miles roundtrip, and if I jump on the Tuesday Worlds I can do 70 miles on a weekday. As far as dangerous roads go its better to longer and safe. My commute I go an extra 2 miles to avoid the death trap roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Commuting worth it as part of building? [GWcanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Commuting gives junk miles, extra miles, bike handling skills, and speed builds from stop lights. Never would've done a decent IM without commuter miles.
Quote Reply