Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Commmuter / Road Bike
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of replacing my commuter / road bike. I have an old Nishiki that is too big for me that has been my commuter bike. Any suggestions on what I should look at (I know it must fit)?

I don't want to spend a ton of money as it will get locked up for 10 - 12 hours at a time but I would also like to use it for some of my training. I guess if I am leavng it out I shouldn't get a flashy looking bike.

Thanks

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Commmuter / Road Bike [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you want the bike to handle? do you have a materail in mind? is looks important? how much can you spend? why did fluffy have to die?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breezer is making some cool commuter bikes now. Van Dessel makes a good looking single speed with a flip flop rear hub that would work great for commuting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been commuting on a Bianchi Veloce for about 5 years. It is a steel framed bike with Campi components and has been bulletproof maintenance wise. I think they're selling for around $1,000 now. I like the steel frame because of the abuse a commuting bike can get with curbs, potholes, etc. I really like how solid the Campi components have been. I've had no fuss with either derailleur, brakes, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a fuji robauix (sp?) off of ebay for $750. 105 components and made of Al. It so far has been a great comuter.

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get one of the new ones with disk brakes. Discs will keep maintenece a bit lower (brakes pads and rims). I am getting the REI Novara Big Buzz - straight bars, disc brakes, road geometry. $700. I like straight bars for winter (easier to ride with gloves on), and I put on road bars for warmer weather. I do from 13 to 40 miles a day commuting and I am really looking forward to this bike. A couple other companies have disc-brake road bikes, usually marketed as either touring bikes or cyclocross bikes. Cannondale is one, I think Giant has one too.

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a cyclocross bike... fits wider tires... built to take punishment but still has the faster road geometry...

They are also cheaper than a road bike

More maneuverable than a touring bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Commmuter / Road Bike [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for a cyclocross bike. I ride and race my commter and it works out great. Straight bar is not needed, you can get the brake levers for upright riding that a lot of cyclocross racers use. $800 for my Jamis Nova last year. Just put on some good pedals and some smooth tires.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam,

I'm a big fan of using a fixed-gear bike for commuting and off-season training. For everything you ever wanted to know about fixed gears, check out http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html.

You won't spend much money, there's little risk of a thief being able to ride it, the training benefits can be significant, and the fun factor will be huge. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any specific questions about fixed-gear bikes.

Michael Bey
Last edited by: Michael Bey: May 15, 03 17:56
Quote Reply