Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Comment my first video please
Quote | Reply
Hi ST,

Today I posted my first video on Youtube. I want to build an endurance-oriented channel to share what I like doing, promote my coaching business, and also to have fun making videos.

Is this the kind of content you'd enjoy to watch?

I'm looking for constructive comments, critics and suggestions - especially as I'm still wondering whether English-speaking audience is willing to listen to someone who is not a native English speaker (creating a channel in French was an option but I decided to give it a go in English and make a "test video" to see what were the initial reactions).

Thanks for your time and help!

Edit: is now out for those interested in seeing the improvements ;-)

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Last edited by: captainolek: Feb 7, 21 5:03
Quote Reply
Re: Comment my first video please [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey man, don't worry about your english! it's pretty perfect and if people can't understand you/don't like listening to it (talking to Amercians here...) then be very careful speaking to anybody from the UK as the Scottish, Brummie, Yorkshire, Welsh accents etc. will leave you with no idea of what's being said!
As an aside I had a Scottish swim coach with a deep voice who had to repeat all his sets 2 to 3 times so those in further lanes could work out what he was saying his accent was so thick (yes I'm from the South Coast if any brits were wondering so no it probably wasn't that thick😂)
Quote Reply
Re: Comment my first video please [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TommyBTri wrote:
Hey man, don't worry about your english! it's pretty perfect and if people can't understand you/don't like listening to it (talking to Amercians here...) then be very careful speaking to anybody from the UK as the Scottish, Brummie, Yorkshire, Welsh accents etc. will leave you with no idea of what's being said!
As an aside I had a Scottish swim coach with a deep voice who had to repeat all his sets 2 to 3 times so those in further lanes could work out what he was saying his accent was so thick (yes I'm from the South Coast if any brits were wondering so no it probably wasn't that thick😂)

Thanks! That’s reassuring :-) any remarks or suggestions on the substance? (Not so much the topic that is just made up for this test video, but the video itself)

Anyways thanks for taking the time to watch and comment!

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Last edited by: captainolek: Feb 1, 21 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought it was great for a first video, well put together. I’m a fan of bits of action (often to music but not always) to mix it up in the video, for example when you were running a pan around at what’s around you and at the pod on your foot as you run, like That Triathlon Life videos (not expecting that cinematic quality Eric is a master!) however that’s just me, felt it was a good watch. Almost podcast like, which is a good thing I think as in I’d happily put it on and watch whilst I do an easy turbo or listen to it whilst I ride as much as watch it for the sake of watching, which as I say I feel is a nice vibe to have that it can be experienced well in different ways.
I would add if you’re doing it to build followers and became a big thing you’d likely have to get a bit more hyperbolic and clickbait-y, not just in title but also in the hype of the video (big youtubers seem to like shouting excitedly about things a lot😂) but unless that’s what you want I much prefer this kind of video and you can build a nice little community with this kinda thing.
Last edited by: TommyBTri: Feb 1, 21 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Comment my first video please [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TommyBTri wrote:
Thought it was great for a first video, well put together. I’m a fan of bits of action (often to music but not always) to mix it up in the video, for example when you were running a pan around at what’s around you and at the pod on your foot as you run, like That Triathlon Life videos (not expecting that cinematic quality Eric is a master!) however that’s just me, felt it was a good watch. Almost podcast like, which is a good thing I think as in I’d happily put it on and watch whilst I do an easy turbo or listen to it whilst I ride as much as watch it for the sake of watching, which as I say I feel is a nice vibe to have that it can be experienced well in different ways.
I would add if you’re doing it to build followers and became a big thing you’d likely have to get a bit more hyperbolic and clickbait-y, not just in title but also in the hype of the video (big youtubers seem to like shouting excitedly about things a lot😂) but unless that’s what you want I much prefer this kind of video and you can build a nice little community with this kinda thing.

Thank you very much, this is mega helpful! Hard to know where to start really but that’s precisely the kind of comments that can help take the right direction!

Hope you’ll enjoy the next ones then and again many thanks ;-)

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was well made for your first video, i did enjoy it. I know youre not a native speaker, but work on removing the uhh and umm when you speak. Maybe draft out what youre going to say first. It gets fairly frustrating to listen to after a bit. I know youre not doing it in purpose, you are probably translating in your head as you go along, but thatd be my advice

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Comment my first video please [rsjrv99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsjrv99 wrote:
This was well made for your first video, i did enjoy it. I know youre not a native speaker, but work on removing the uhh and umm when you speak. Maybe draft out what youre going to say first. It gets fairly frustrating to listen to after a bit. I know youre not doing it in purpose, you are probably translating in your head as you go along, but thatd be my advice

Oh man I know how it feels listening to this (believe me I tried to cut out as much as I could) and this is very frustrating indeed. Funny enough I don’t think that’s the way I actually speak in a « conversation mode » (or it must be very annoying for the people I’m chatting with...)

Remark duly noted and I will definitely address in the next one! Many thanks

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also as a general question for those getting on this thread: would you watch similar content if it was in a foreign language (in my case French) with English subs?

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
Also as a general question for those getting on this thread: would you watch similar content if it was in a foreign language (in my case French) with English subs?

Yup. I’ll often watch English language videos with subtitles and the sound off, especially when my (very loud) kids are in the vicinity.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
TommyBTri wrote:

Thank you very much, this is mega helpful! Hard to know where to start really but that’s precisely the kind of comments that can help take the right direction!

Hope you’ll enjoy the next ones then and again many thanks ;-)

Enjoyed the first video and I'll add to TommyBTri's suggestions which are spot on. If you scroll through the entire video quickly at the bottom, it allows you to see how much "content" is added vs. the "talking head." Content is king for Youtube and any social media and as TBT said, the bits of action to music goes a long way to keep viewers entertained. Adding additional visuals while you are commenting will prevent viewers from clicking away or fast forwarding. Similar to the bit where you were placing the pod on your foot, while you are being descriptive, show what you are talking about, for example showing the watts and headwind was good, but then showing the screen output from the Stryd and data would have been better. Keep in mind you are not just trying to gain the attention of the "bit generation" but to keep it throughout the entire video whether that is 2 minutes or 12. Best of luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Comment my first video please [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
captainolek wrote:

Yup. I’ll often watch English language videos with subtitles and the sound off, especially when my (very loud) kids are in the vicinity.

Thanks - and also good to know as English subs will be available whatever the language ;-)

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Comment my first video please [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
Enjoyed the first video and I'll add to TommyBTri's suggestions which are spot on. If you scroll through the entire video quickly at the bottom, it allows you to see how much "content" is added vs. the "talking head." Content is king for Youtube and any social media and as TBT said, the bits of action to music goes a long way to keep viewers entertained. Adding additional visuals while you are commenting will prevent viewers from clicking away or fast forwarding. Similar to the bit where you were placing the pod on your foot, while you are being descriptive, show what you are talking about, for example showing the watts and headwind was good, but then showing the screen output from the Stryd and data would have been better. Keep in mind you are not just trying to gain the attention of the "bit generation" but to keep it throughout the entire video whether that is 2 minutes or 12. Best of luck!!

Many thanks for such a thorough comment. It's definitely the direction I'm willing to take for these videos, the 2nd one is in the making and there's already way more "content" :-)

Again thank you for your time!

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dropped in case you are interested to see my improvements thanks to your comments (at least I hope so)

I will likely stop hijacking the forum every time I release a video so please consider subscribing if you want to follow the adventure! :-)

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply