Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coming back from last at CdA 70.3
Quote | Reply
A little race recap, tried to keep it relatively short. This was my first 70.3 and my first tri since 2009.

For not being a life-long swimmer, actually I really just re-learned swimming in January, the swim went pretty well. Started in the slower group (rolling start) because of the unknowns of how I would do and ended up passing a fair amount of people but all-in-all it felt smooth.

The bike started out great. I felt calmly energetic, was passing some folks and hanging with some faster people (not drafting obvi) but not burning any matches and just having fun. At about mile 12 I began to notice my chain rubbing on the front der. Then between miles 18-19 as I started up a climb, I went to shift into the smaller ring which resulted in A) the shift not happening, and B) the most horrendous chain suckage noise you'd ever want to hear on race day.

Pulling off to the side I'm looking at my front derailleur which is at about a 45-degree angle to my chainline and it is not wanting to leave that position. Naturally, my multitool in not on my bike so I'm pretty hosed. But there should be a course mechanic driving around that'll hit me up at some point, right?

Not really. Over an hour later (I lost track of time because my watch actually stopped, thinking I had stopped) the race SAG truck rolls up and asks if I'm okay. They tell me the "grim reaper" isn't far behind them and that I'm in the last position on the course.

"All I need is a mechanic to help for like 3 minutes and I'll be good to continue" I say, so they get on the radio and a mech rolls up no more than 2 minutes later. He cuts the derailleur off, clips the cable so it doesn't flap in the wind, puts me in the big dog ring and away I go.

The next 6-7 people I see are off their bikes walking up towards Mica View. I know that I've got some serious time to make up and do not want to get DNF'd so I'm mashing it pretty good. While it's kind of fun to be passing so many people, I was literally in last place so I'm not taking too much joy in it.

About 6 miles outside of transition a guy rolls up next to me and starts chatting, asking how I'm doing. He looks way too fast to be in the back so I ask him if he's a pro, turns out to be Andrew Starykowicz who finished 3rd a little earlier. We chatted for a few miles, SUPER nice guy. Def one of the highlights of my day.

Back in T, I rack the bike and head out for the run knowing it was going to be brutal on my now shaky legs. I had no idea it was going to be THAT brutal. The cramping started pretty early on and it was an absolute sufferfest. My watch was off and I had no idea where I was time-wise, so I just kept on moving forward as best as I could. With 2.7 miles to go a volunteer told me and the gentleman I was silently shuffling with that we had 30 minutes to get to the finish.

My legs were cramping like I had never felt before, but I started to jog. Me and this other guy, who was 62 but I have no idea what is number was, towed each other all the way back. He would run, I would run, then we'd walk. Then I'd start running and he'd start running, then we'd walk. We never said a word to each other, never even made eye contact, but without that guy I'm not sure I would've made it and there's a good chance he feels the same way.

Finally I finished, at 8 hours and 14 minutes. The most unnecessarily difficult 70.3 I hope to ever have. I wasn't really ill-prepared, not any more than the avg person competing in their first race would be. I just lost well over an hour on the side of the road and then blew myself up trying to get back into the race.

Anyways, I got the medal and made it through one of the most mentally challenging things I've ever done. And guaranteed that I'll get a PB at IM 70.3 Arizona in October.

So, that's my race report. I wouldn't bother sharing it if It weren't so abnormal...so there it is.
Last edited by: mackey: Jun 27, 18 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: Coming back from last at CdA 70.3 [mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on the race! most of us have all had days like that, however the stars get aligned so that whatever can go wrong does go wrong. way to stick it out and see it through to the end, it takes guts to be out there grinding when you're having an awful day

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the race report (such as it is).

I think that mentally it's difficult to deal with a bunch of things that go wrong on race day, but I always hope that it balances out. For every day where you hit obstacle after obstacle there is a day where everything goes perfectly. I'm still waiting for that day, but I hope it's out there. I hope it is for you too, since you've earned it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool

CONGRATS

Similar tech trouble

Chain came undone during a race. Yes I was that guy who worked in his bone the day before the race :(. I started walking to nearby houses looking for a chain tool about an hour later found one and got back into the race.

Came in Last place lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that's a pretty crazy and needlessly frustrating day! You probably handled it better than I did. I would have been just going nuts on the side of the road, especially knowing it was such a simple fix and being just grounded until you could get it done.

Also, I'll admit I'm surprised that many people were walking up to Mica. I've never done the CDA half, but I lived there and road that hill a ton. It's long, but I don't remember it being that snappy of a hill.

Well done, good luck on your upcoming PR!

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on hanging in there on a tough day and finishing! I had a similar day many years ago at Wildflower LC, and I still look back on that race as a point of pride that I hung in there and finished the race.

I was also at 70.3 CdA this past weekend. It was my first long course tri in many years, and I had a blast! What a great venue and race. I'd love to do that race again. The support from the local community was absolutely amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Coming back from last at CdA 70.3 [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the kind words, yeah it was needlessly tough but I'm glad I stuck it out. Sounds cliche, but I really proved something to myself.

The volunteers were absolutely amazing, they and community supporters in the neighborhood streets stuck it out all day and were very cool. I live just 90 minutes south of CdA and will definitely be doing it again next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love hearing stories of the guys/girls that won/podium the pro division out on the course cheering on the DFL crew!

Secondly...how was it riding a 1x, think you will convert?

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Coming back from last at CdA 70.3 [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
I love hearing stories of the guys/girls that won/podium the pro division out on the course cheering on the DFL crew!

Secondly...how was it riding a 1x, think you will convert?

Yup, super cool chatting with Starky. There were a few other pros out there riding around but I didn't catch who they were.

As for converting to 1x...doubtful! Though in my alone time on the side of the road I did ponder how if I were already 1x this wouldn't have happened. I think it would really depend on the course, but CdA is a little too "rolly". I feel like you'd either be dying on the inclines like I was, or spinning out on the downhills and flats.

That said, my gravel bike is a 1x11 and I love it.
Quote Reply