Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Comeback trail for Geezers
Quote | Reply
Well into 60 - 64 AG. Starting back into some training after quite a layoff. (3 yrs) Time off has not been entirely inactive. Some of each discipline taking place. But with no regularity. Times are pretty slow compared to the glory days. I have also noticed that I struggle with 2 daily workouts. The second workout often feels very flat. I know speed is gone for good most likely. But does any semblance return? I know it will a long haul back. Never should have stopped but my heart/mind just needed a break. How about some encouragement from the comeback trail.
Quote Reply
Re: Comeback trail for Geezers [plant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m 64 this year. Had back procedure in 2015 and had to take full year off. Went through the motions in 2016 and then started to get back into it in 2017. I had mixed results in 2017/18, but stuff really began to click again in 19 and got my Kona slot at IMAZ.

The two biggest changes for me, are less intensity and less running. I’m best at the bike and decided to focus on what I’m best at and have most fun at. When I did this my consistency and volume increased pretty easily. Due to this I dropped a bunch of weight and this made everything easier. I also due weights/yoga/stretching 3 days/week which I at least enjoy and probably helps as well.

Also, I stopped worrying about how fast I was (and used to be). I’m in it for the joy of exercising, mindful that these are the good old days, right now....when I stopped focusing on results and just focused on having fun, the results came...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't taken any lengthy training or racing breaks since my mid 20s and I turn 62 in a month. Despite the consistency, my 5K race pace is now slower than my marathon race pace at my peak, so aging happens. On the positive side, when I look at the age-graded charts, my age-graded 5K times now are comparable to my 5K times in my youth so I'm slowing down at the same rate as my peers! During the pandemic, I've realized more than ever that just being healthy is a win, so congrats on the comeback and enjoy every session!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Feb 18, 21 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in the 60-64 group also. I didn’t train for 30 years (thirty). Back in my 20s I was fast, but not elite fast. After two years from starting from nothing (couldn’t run a mile, but I wasn’t over weight), hurricane Harvey flooded our house and I had to take off another year rebuilding the house mind wasn’t into it).

Started back again in 2018 and did my first tri last Nov (70.3j. It wasn’t fast, but I am seeing speed coming back. Took over two mins per mile off my half marathon from September 2018 to February 2020, and I believe I could go another min faster now.

It took a lot longer than my mind wanted, but I’m continuing to make progress.

Stick with it and I’m sure you’ll make a lot of gains.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, semblance returns. Ease back in to a base with consistency. Splurge when weather good and feeling good for longer or second workouts. Ensure your training is fun. Suggest focusing on camaraderie first and competition second--that brought a lot more pleasure back to me in the sport after a longish layoff. Buy a couple of pieces of new stuff: race/workout gear to keep the mind current with the sport. Maybe we think we don't need it, but somehow it makes the body look and feel young again. And maybe even experience a speed rush nearer your glory days than you think today.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 57 and am on the comeback trail after a few years of illness and injury and a lot longer fighting off the Black Dog.The one thing I notice is how sore I am.all the damned time.My swim is almost back to where it was 20 years ago,my bike is coming along but run?...Forgetaboutit! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Comeback trail for Geezers [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Black Dog? Explain please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy, aged up to 70 this year (yahoo)! Though no races happened this last year (should have done Roth, which I have done 3 times previously) I have kept on tri-ing on my own. Pools here in Henderson Nevada are open (I get 2 swims in a day= 1 aerobic free, the 2nd technique/strokes). With good weather I can ride and run indoors or out. When the pools were closed last spring I got out and ran more and I can see improvement there (not speed though). I find that I have better success in handling multiple per day workouts if I moderate the intensity (which means 90%+ low). The swimming helps save the legs/hip joint. I have also discovered you tube ride and run videos that provide more variety rather than the same route every day. It would be nice to do a race again, but my bucket list now includes volunteering rather than racing at Roth and local races. Sounds like a lot of fun to me!
Last edited by: bswift: Feb 18, 21 12:46
Quote Reply
Re: Comeback trail for Geezers [bswift] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's an age up birthday year for me too; I get to be the "young" guy in the 65-69 AG this year :) I can't comment on comebacks because I've only had a brief outage due to cancer remediation in '16 and otherwise have been always moving forward since I started this journey in '89. Retirement last year (and the pandemic) gave me the opportunity to train as much as I could tolerate which according to the Big Kahuna stats was north of 1000 hours in 2020. My advice at our age is ~90% zone 1 for running and run every day if you can (100/100s have taught me that). Bikes and swims are different (for me) because of the lower stress on the body. And, when you increase the volume increase your SLEEP!!! My #1 recovery tool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. Took couple years off in early 60s to get rest and rehab from torn meniscus and arthritis. Got stem cells for knee and started racing again with decent results, swim and bike good but run has been work in progress since then. COVID forced less training over last year, but plan on hitting pool soon after second vaccine shot and sights set on one more IM in 2023 after gradual build over 2021-2022. Use HRV to tell me how I am recovering and absorbing training.
Quote Reply
Re: Comeback trail for Geezers [Pieman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pieman wrote:
Black Dog? Explain please.

Depression.
Quote Reply
Re: Comeback trail for Geezers [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"On the positive side, when I look at the age-graded charts, my age-graded 5K times now are comparable to my 5K times in my youth so I'm slowing down at the same rate as my peers!"

What age-graded charts do you feel are the best/most accurate to use?
Quote Reply
Re: Comeback trail for Geezers [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjgwoody wrote:
"On the positive side, when I look at the age-graded charts, my age-graded 5K times now are comparable to my 5K times in my youth so I'm slowing down at the same rate as my peers!"

What age-graded charts do you feel are the best/most accurate to use?

USATF road age-grading calculator 2020 I haven't done much comparison with other charts/calculators.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
79 already qualified for Kona 2022 I will be 80. So the rules are simple (jack Lalane) use it or lose it. And you will lose it fast. You can now take no long layoffs if you want to do long course. I can only tell you what I am doing and it is pretty simple. I no longer do a daily plan. Every week 200 on the bike 20 on the run they can fluctuate sometimes higher or lower a little. 100 mile bike every week 11 mile run every week then everything floats around those 2 things....yes I still do bricks very important. Stay away from track workouts you are not doing 10ks. Rest days very important those are more or less swim days. Be very smart on what you do I ride gravel I do mountain biking but nothing that will screw up my shoulders or pull hamstrings like baseball or basketball. You get hurt the game is over you will not come back at this age.....lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a lifetime doing triathlons I had to stop running at age 68 due to the effects on one knee from long distances. I continued swimming and cycling expecting that they would be my only exercise outlet. I actually managed a degree of success in aquabike. Nevertheless, after a period of not running for four years I experimented with a short run at age 72. The previous issue had declined to the extent that I began to increase the distances, eventually reaching 10km. With great caution not to exacerbate my knee problem I am able to resume olympic distance races and am gradually building up speed.

The path back to running was assisted greatly by my cycling as it kept my leg muscles working well and also maintained my cardiorespiratory level such that running was not going to be a heart stopper.
Quote Reply