Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long
Quote | Reply
Saw Sam Long is getting geared up for the race, who are the favorites?
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itā€™ll be an interesting day, especially with the 90 degree heat.

I expect Sam to do very well. George Simpson is a monster. Colby Lange and Greg Daniel both can do very well - itā€™ll be interesting to see how their team pursuit power translates to the longer effort. Richard Arnopol can put down a good TT. Jameson is in incredible climbing shape, so weā€™ll see if that translates well to TT. Matt McWilliams has thrown down some very strong tri bike splits, so heā€™ll be another wild card

Oh, and Iā€™ll give it a good go.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. Had I known this was going on I would have registered.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My money is on George. We had some Strava races here about a month ago. They were pretty climby, but he still put on some good results compared to Gavin Manion, who is a much lighter. I think George also mentioned that he is putting out some of his best wattage. That has to be rough with no racing.

I am honestly surprised every pro on the front range isnā€™t showing up. There wonā€™t be much else to race for, especially wil the foreign travel restriction, and just about everyone I know has still been training.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Jul 18, 20 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I almost made the drive from Virginia... Really bugs me that more states aren't having regular time trials. I'm working with our local cycling club to get some races going here but it would have been awesome to get that kind of competition.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw Sam got 2nd. Anyone know his power for the 40k?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
347 watts?? He did mention power was low. Wow
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should have come out! I tried to get some photos of the P12 race but by the time I figured out how to keep the focus good as they zoom by, most of the riders had passed. But here are some kinda crappy photos:

Here's the winner, George Simpson

Here's Sam

Here's Alex (doublea334 on here)

It was HOT. Miserably hot. I could't stand just getting out of my car for a few minutes to pick up my number. I raced in Cat 4, it was my first 40k, having raced my first TT ever back in early March which was a 20k. I got a flat during the warmup so I had to throw in a butyl tube and I made it to the starting tent with just 1 minute before my start!! I ended up in 3rd place out of 16, just 3 seconds out of 2nd (unofficial results) in 55:25.

Here's me just out of the start tent.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jul 19, 20 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
347 watts?? He did mention power was low. Wow

It was crazy hot.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the temperature?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think when I was taking photos of the P12 race it was 93-94 and bright direct high-altitude sun.

When I raced it was more like 100 but partway into the race there was at least occasionally a cloud over the sun.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope I'm not to blame for Sam not winning. Earlier this week I was on a ride and he passed me. I hope he didn't dig too deep to do that and had nothing in his legs for the TT.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3772331154
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
What was the temperature?

99 when I pulled into the parking lot 104 when I got back from my ride. Temps of 105 recorded on the course. It was horrible. Temperature management was probably the biggest factor in a good ride. I was great for the first 25K and crawled home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I think when I was taking photos of the P12 race it was 93-94 and bright direct high-altitude sun.

When I raced it was more like 100 but partway into the race there was at least occasionally a cloud over the sun.

I think itā€™s hard to explain how hot it feels in Colorado when the sun is out like it was today. You just melt.

I used to race and run in the Midwest at these temps and it was like running through a swamp but it never feels hot like here.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was Hot. I raced the P-1-2 and was thinking I would drink at 10k/20k/30k (every 12-13min) I was drinking water alot more, Sam was flying. Course was great for big strong fellas like George and Sam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to strava winner was over 400. Just insane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that the production model of your shoe in the picture?
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Is that the production model of your shoe in the picture?

Unfortunately not! I promise they are coming....

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4 riders in the 40+ race. Most boulder area riders were halfway up some mountain canyon by 8am yesterday. I did ride a little with sam in some group ride a week or so ago, he came down and was hammering on the 5pm ride after putting in 180 miles and 18k of climbing. I think he eventually blew up, but wtf, that's a little insane (not necessarily healthy).
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding in Boulder is always a humbling experience. About a month ago I was at the end of a pretty hard 70.3-power ride. All of the sudden, RVB just blows by me effortlessly.

Insane.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 43 but I raced in the open Cat 4 race. There were 16 entries there. The 40+ Cat 4 had 6 entries and 40+ Cat 3 had 7 (and a few impressive times).

I'm not gonna tell Sam he's doing things wrong. You wouldn't be even the 100th person to tell him he does too much.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jul 19, 20 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some more photos from the P12 race.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado Time Trial 7-18. Sam Long [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
4 riders in the 40+ race. Most boulder area riders were halfway up some mountain canyon by 8am yesterday. I did ride a little with sam in some group ride a week or so ago, he came down and was hammering on the 5pm ride after putting in 180 miles and 18k of climbing. I think he eventually blew up, but wtf, that's a little insane (not necessarily healthy).
I was one of those 40+ riders It was miserable. Average temp during the race was 101. I was doing ok through 25k and started to get really woozy, seeing spots, rode off the road a couple times. I knew I wasnā€™t at my best after a year of little training and adjusted my targets accordingly, but did not give the heat the respect it deserved. Slowest 40k in years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any time I see Sam Long mentioned now I think of that PTO interview with Amberger and Appleton where one of them says Long ā€œtrains like Tarzan but races like Janeā€

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

It is sexist and probably not accurate, but really funny...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next