Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
timr wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

I think they messed up with this by making the US its own country. In golf it makes sense. It triathlon, it should probably be one of the European countries and then then two international squads. Idk.

I agree. Unfortunately the US does not have enough strong athletes to make it interesting. They should've done North America and include Canada and USA as one. That would give us Lionel and Paula to make it more interesting in the points game.

Iā€™d make it the Americas vs Europeans vs The Commonwealth countries plus the rest of the world.

This was suggested after last years event also but unfortunately they didn't adopt it. I think it's the most sensible solution to even out the teams a bit more. It obviously would not help team USA but it needs to have it's own team for many reasons, and in the strong years they are more than capable of fielding a very powerful team. I feel you have to break up Europe somehow because it currently has a sizeable advantage when it comes to athletes to choose from which makes sense given it's double the USA in terms of population, and even more so vs The Internationals since most of the athletes are from the traditional triathlon countries, i.e. Australia, NZ, SA, Canada, all of which have small populations in comparison. This year of course they also had a Brazilian (Lopes) and Duffy from Bermuda.This year's Euro team didn't have a large GB representation, but it potentially could, i.e. LCB, a healthy A. Brownlee, and hopefully soon Alex Yee, so by making a Commonwealth team it simultaneously makes the Internationals stronger while (potentially) making Europe less strong, although Stadler says they could field 2 teams that could win šŸ˜†
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Sure, I think what I'm suggesting is, if this format doesn't work....cool. It'll be the end of the experiment.

I think PTO wants to push for the development of the athletes and the personalities. Every pro race is raced as you guys are suggesting by doing a mass start race. Suggesting they then race as xc scoring or 1 v 1 v 1 but still racing all together at the same time, doesn't imo meet the story that PTO wants to tell.

So this format may not work, I just dont see them going back to the wash and repeat of an male mass start race and female mass start race. They'll just take their ball and go home to something else.

I think a mass start but still having 1 v 1 v1 could work. It would be exciting seeing teams work together and trying to help their teammates do well. Draft legal might be the better option and allow them to work together like in pro cycling or sub 7/8
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 3 hour broadcast is fine but todayā€™s format (12 races going off every 10 minutes) leads to a 5 hour broadcast. Triathlon is not compelling enough to attract more than the most ardent triathlon FSM.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's too complicated imo. If your solution is a mass start, then make it as simple as possible and just xc score it. But doing a mass start + 1 v 1 v 1 scoring imo makes no logical sense to the viewer. That's over complicating it for the sake of trying to feature matchups in the fastest race possible.

So if your telling me the only way this works is to going to mass start racing, I would guess that the PTO is going to pull the plug (and money). And again if they go to mass start, what's the appeal? It's been done a hundred times before and it never catches on. And the current format may not be the answer, I just don't see the PTO adapting mass start solution it for this particular event.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 20, 22 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just saw highlights and what not of this race. rather see an ITU race since this is too long. but PTO is capitalizing with free broadcast and quality highlights/ pre match videos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top 12 male and females. Rankings 1-3 become team captains. Rank 1 gets first pick of rank 10-12. Rank 2 second pick and so on. 3 teams of 4 from rankings and a specials ā€˜Charles teamā€™ of PTO picks for 4th team. 2 day event. Final event is teams TTT and first 3 across the line time counts. Day 1 - match-ups if they want to stick with that. Prize money - put 20% of appearance fee as winning team takes all.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
mkq wrote:
Changpao wrote:
USCoregonian wrote:
The event clearly needs some changes from the current format.

1) At a macro level, it's not competitive. There's no reason for the US to be a standalone team. If they want a Ryder Cup style format make it Europe vs. World. Even then I'm not sure it's a competitive event
2) At a micro level, it's not competitive. There was one close race the entire day. The majority of the races were over midway through the bike.
3) The event takes too long. They need to find a way to compress the total time down to ~3 hours total.

The reality of long course racing is that races are rarely close and there are very few lead changes, which makes it inherently boring for all but the most dedicated fans. The best hope is that the team competition is close and comes down to the last races, but thatā€™s hard to engineer. All things considered, I think the PTO did a good job but itā€™s a tough task.

FWIW, the US dominated the Ryder Cup through the early 90s and itā€™s been mostly Europe since then so even a presumably successful model has not managed to find a way to keep the team competition interesting in most years. Brookline (ā€˜99) was an amazing comeback, but mostly one side wins pretty easily and there is not a lot of last minute drama.

There is a ton of drama in the Ryder Cup, even on Day 1. It doesnā€™t seem that you watch it.

The Americans dominated the Ryder Cup mostly until it became the US vs Europe (instead of GB and Ireland) in 1979. Since then, it is 12-9 in Europeā€™s favor, I believe. The last 4 have been split evenly. 2 of the last 6 were decided by 1 point which is remarkable, given the number of matches over 3 days.

Yes, clearly someone who references Brookline in ā€˜99 doesnā€™t watch the Ryder Cup. Dude, the US went roughly 50 years without losing. Then, starting around the mid-90s it lost repeatedly. Other than the amazing comeback at Brookline, it won maybe once in 20 years. An entire generation of American golf fans watched the US lose to Europe. Now the US has won maybe the last 3-4 straight. The point I was making is that golf shows it hard to set up a system that prevents domination by one country/ region. Iā€™d love a Collins Cup where the team competition was more open, the winning team harder to predict, and the finish came down to the wire. But the Ryder Cup shows thatā€™s hard to achieve; the talent of the athletes shifts over time and largely dictates the winner.

Time to look up the Ryder Cup and the results. Google is your friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks PTO for emailing me and spoiling the result in your email title, anyone signing up to your emails wouldn't be sat round waiting for your email to know the results would they?

Coverage was terrible!!! No splits just a point system I couldn't care less about, close to zero coverage of any of the men's races unless your name is Long, Sanders, Laidlow or Royle.

They need to split this into two days, as there's obviously far too many races to cover.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cxrider wrote:
Great to see that they made it a draft legal event for Sanders and Long

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on this, their fan club on here would have lost their shit if it was anyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy and Wilde have both been peaking for a sprint distance triathlon a couple of weeks ago, it was always going to be a big ask for them to jump distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
How was Spirit so fast?
4 min on Daniella, and another 3 to the next woman!?
That is kind of too good fitness to end a career on!

She was always capable of pulling off a performance like that it this distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
long course racing is now "WWE" .

Quote:
Eric Lagerstrƶm
Today at 1:59 PM
Ā· Bend, Oregon
70.3 heat training
Bleh. Thank God for that water fountain. Gotta ask Lionel what the relative altitude conversion is at 90F and -10% humidity

Now that is actually some funny banter!
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [giantredwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giantredwood wrote:
We must be using different timing sources. I see Spirig with the fourth fastest female time behind Ryf-Gentle-Findlay. She only beat Laidlow and Laundry on men's side.

The Collins cup website says she went 3:23:57. Should it have been 3:33?
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like your idea. that could be interesting and having teammates work together, kinda like what LS and SL did

Tridad
Last edited by: gillesgh: Aug 20, 22 21:25
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
giantredwood wrote:
We must be using different timing sources. I see Spirig with the fourth fastest female time behind Ryf-Gentle-Findlay. She only beat Laidlow and Laundry on men's side.

The Collins cup website says she went 3:23:57. Should it have been 3:33?

Interesting. I was using the PTO tracker app to look at the times. It looks like they mistakenly used her split at 15.7km instead of the full 18km of the run. I just checked the collins cup website and multiple times are different from the tracker. Jewett, Spirig, Royle all have wrong times on the website. Hopefully they get that sorted.

Ryf: 3:28:50
Gentle: 3:30:51
Findlay: 3:31:10
Spirig: 3:32:44
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Mike.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike.A wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:
timr wrote:
dcpinsonn wrote:

I think they messed up with this by making the US its own country. In golf it makes sense. It triathlon, it should probably be one of the European countries and then then two international squads. Idk.

I agree. Unfortunately the US does not have enough strong athletes to make it interesting. They should've done North America and include Canada and USA as one. That would give us Lionel and Paula to make it more interesting in the points game.

Iā€™d make it the Americas vs Europeans vs The Commonwealth countries plus the rest of the world.

This was suggested after last years event also but unfortunately they didn't adopt it. I think it's the most sensible solution to even out the teams a bit more. It obviously would not help team USA but it needs to have it's own team for many reasons, and in the strong years they are more than capable of fielding a very powerful team. I feel you have to break up Europe somehow because it currently has a sizeable advantage when it comes to athletes to choose from which makes sense given it's double the USA in terms of population, and even more so vs The Internationals since most of the athletes are from the traditional triathlon countries, i.e. Australia, NZ, SA, Canada, all of which have small populations in comparison. This year of course they also had a Brazilian (Lopes) and Duffy from Bermuda.This year's Euro team didn't have a large GB representation, but it potentially could, i.e. LCB, a healthy A. Brownlee, and hopefully soon Alex Yee, so by making a Commonwealth team it simultaneously makes the Internationals stronger while (potentially) making Europe less strong, although Stadler says they could field 2 teams that could win šŸ˜†

I would have liked more teams.

1) USA
2) UK
3) Scandinavia
4) (The rest of) Europe
5) Team Int

Team USA and Team International would remain the same whereas you would split the talent of Europe in 3, making it a lot more interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [giantredwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giantredwood wrote:

Ryf: 3:28:50
Gentle: 3:30:51
Findlay: 3:31:10
Spirig: 3:32:44

Lawrence 3:33:09
Haug 3:33:53
(NB Blummenfelt @ 3:09:18 so Ryf took only 10% longer.)
What I also noticed (in a data quirky way) was that the female matches 1 - 6 were won in ascending times. With only Philipp interpolating herself, seconds ahead of Haug.

Great to see Spirig win: the weak match up she was fixed was in the event an unnecessary PTO insurance. Findlay aced the bike. Excellent all-round from Gentle who (I estimate will jump to #4 in the PTO rankings).

Pointers for Kona? Ryf must be super pleased: excellent swim and bike. Haug and Philipp set up for a close race in Hawaii. Matthews atypically way off pace bike and run after a good (for her) swim. Moench likewise.
https://stats.protriathletes.org/...onships/2022/results
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Aug 21, 22 1:11
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ā€œeliteā€ race taking place now, Lucy Charles leading and Emma PB in 3rd. Looks like itā€™ll be a run off between them two. D Vries in 2nd dropping like a stone on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucy going to win comfortably, wonder if this means sheā€™ll race 70.3 worlds. Putting time into Emma on the run too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
Lucy going to win comfortably, wonder if this means sheā€™ll race 70.3 worlds. Putting time into Emma on the run too.
Impressive. Running 65 for 18km so about 1:18 pace for a half. She has a start slot for Kona from her St George 70.3WC win.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
Impressive. Running 65 for 18km so about 1:18 pace for a half. She has a start slot for Kona from her St George 70.3WC win.

Was thinking Kona might be too soon in her recovery. Maybe the 70.3 is more feasible. No idea where are is in her recovery of course so could be talking utter nonsense here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She just said on La Chaine du Triathlon a French Tri news that she will be discussing what is next with her team tonight but Kona is a possibility. She said she was surprised about how good she felt as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Le Corre takes the win..
seems he was drafting all the time and no official warned him. Last week he was in the euro champs in the front pack not giving a single relay... I guess he does not care...just the opposite behavior of other french like Luis or Bergere...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:

If she is racing Kona, great, but seems she was just planning 70.3 worlds and then tryting to qualify for Paris? That would mean no Kona till 2025? it is a big call to qualify for the olympics within team GB: one spot will be for GTB. The other one or two for Coldwell, Potter, Rainsley or Waugh or plus Learmonth and Stanford... Will she dare? I think she could get the spot in case there are 3, but she should work in her bike skills and anaerobic efforts.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
The head-to-head hasnā€™t exactly produced compelling racing. I like your version, and score it like a cross country meet.

Down for more teams/different team/different scoring but I think the H2H is compelling since this is the one race where you have it & really spend time hyping up the individual athletes.

Maybe do pods of 6 instead of 3 & then score by match. Might have tighter races. Maybe some team tactics. I think the bonus points should be taken out of the equation. There's definitely a way to create more drama & have a closer scoring system.

XC Scoring:
Europe: 1, 2, 5, 6, 16, 18 = 48
US: 4, 8. 10, 11, 13, 14 = 60
International: 3, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17 = 63

Good to see LCB back. Don't know how the weather was today versus yesterday. She went 3:34 & took down a strong field. 3:34 would be in the middle of yesterday's race but there would have been more (legal) drafting in the mass start race.

Solid times for the men. Le Corre went 3:11. That would've been 2nd behind KB but, as mentioned, hard to say how much time to subtract for pack swimming/biking. Pretty evident Sam/Lionel got a big (but legal) boost yesterday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next