Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
But the reality is, whether Laidlow backs it up or not, one will get to say "I told you so" the other will have to take it, and then I bet dollars to donuts they hug it out, high five, talk the other person up as a great race. This isn't going to be some long term "personal" beef. It'll mellow out, while the PTO may still keep it some contrived on going thing like they have the Lawrence Salthouse "rivalry".

For whatever reason my GF just replayed the audio, it's far worse the second time I've listened to it. They should have stopped filming and had his mother spank him. That wasn't "trash talk" or "smack talk". That was just an idiot being allowed to be hurtful. Alex Payne probably should quit to if this is what the PTO is going to put up with.

At least in Rugby you get to hit each other for 80 minutes.

What am I missing here? I've seen or heard absolutely nothing hurtful or even disrespect, just a bit of banter.

Can't work out why Sam Long was almost in tears either.

100% agree, theres nothing in it... Sam Long lost his shit because Laidlow gave him (and Lionel) a bit of banter about their swims... Sam Long looks like he can dish it out but doesnt like it back. He was happy enough to try and trash Laidlow's bike/run until he realised he was getting laughed at. There's some absolute snowflakes in this thread btw, how some people get through life is beyond me. Laidlow was clearly trying to have a bit of fun back and forth and Sam Long just took the bait and had nothing to give back, which is a shame as it could have been a fun interview between them.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race has started and Laidelow is off like a rocket, and the SL And LS are working together

Tridad
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30.2 miles Ryf +2:15 over Duffy.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [gillesgh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gillesgh wrote:
The race has started and Laidelow is off like a rocket, and the SL And LS are working together

The speed difference was crazy! Should be a fun race if they bridge him on the bike as they look like they will work together throughout.

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ali Brownlee ran 2:40:47 to win Ironman Klamar in 7:38:48 and secure a Kona slot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kanute Wilde Blu out is swim in that order within 5 seconds. Advantage Blu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:

100% agree, theres nothing in it... Sam Long lost his shit because Laidlow gave him (and Lionel) a bit of banter about their swims... Sam Long looks like he can dish it out but doesnt like it back. He was happy enough to try and trash Laidlow's bike/run until he realised he was getting laughed at. There's some absolute snowflakes in this thread btw, how some people get through life is beyond me. Laidlow was clearly trying to have a bit of fun back and forth and Sam Long just took the bait and had nothing to give back, which is a shame as it could have been a fun interview between them.

So Laidlow has won nothing and probably shouldn't be in even picked to be here, and he has a mouth. He has no results to back up his trash talk, much of Long's trash talk two years ago was pretty kind hearted and in the spirit of the general sport. I used to hate Wurf's trash talk...but you know what Wurf has? A personality and results.

Laidlow was right about him not bring cut from the same cloth. He's had everything given to him in this sport and raised by parents who have a tri coaching business. Long is a crossover and has earned everything he has the hard way.

____

Warnings? Lol

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 20, 22 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laidlow might pay for his comments when dealing with 2 motivated athletes who can time trial together (legally, but still significantly beneficial) but he consistently shows he is a very well rounded athlete who can push a race in all disciplines. If he can hang on for the run has been a question for him. This event is compelling from a match up perspective. I think they did a pretty good job of matchups.

It also shows just how bad Long and Sanders are on the swim. If a handful of athletes show up to any of their major events, they essentially are dead from the start. Yes they can ride and run through a field, but there is not much of a way to win with such a poor leg anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
TLT wrote:

So Laidlow has won nothing and probably shouldn't be in even picked to be here, and he has a mouth. He has no results to back up his trash talk, much of Long's trash talk two years ago was pretty kind hearted and in the spirit of the general sport. I used to hate Wurf's trash talk...but you know what Wurf has? A personality and results.

Laidlow was right about him not bring cut from the same cloth. He's had everything given to him in this sport and raised by parents who have a tri coaching business. Long is a crossover and has earned everything he has the hard way.

____

Warnings? Lol

I agree on Wurf in that he can back up his banter and is hilarious.

Laidlow is drier and its very cultural, but I think you all have read this wrong and made unnecessary drama. He has enough history to see what he might be able to do though is largely unproven. Dang though YOU are going in hard here on him with your shit talk. Laidlow is absolutely right that Long and Sanders' swim restricts them from being serious contenders in the bigger picture. A 3 man race with a 2 man TT chasing behind is a different story though with a guy who has had some troubles keeping it together on the run.

Depending on the moment, I can't make a decision who I want to win because every time I hear some stupid take about one of the 3, I want the opposite to happen. I think either both Sam's blow up because of their stuff and Lionel wins or Laidlow backs up his belief and confidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Long is a crossover and has earned everything he has the hard way.

That’s not true. He’s been lucky enough to grow up in a major sport hub, then try and give up snow sports before getting into tri, and also receive financial help from his parents for several years as he started his career making $0.
You’re a Long fan, we got it, but the spoilt kid, who cried like a toddler yesterday, isn’t the one you think.
Last edited by: ALG: Aug 20, 22 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3:10 on the 2 after T1, as expected and an ok T1 from LS for a change

Tridad
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [gillesgh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wilde and Kanute working well together a few words exchanged on the passes

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam is only 23, that's his 1st real season racing at the top level, and he already has two great races at the Ironman World championships and the PTO Canadian Open. So maybe give him a little bit of credit.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ALG wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

That’s not true. He’s been lucky enough to grow up in a major sport hub, then try and give up snow sports before getting into tri, and also receive financial help from his parents for several years as he started his career making $0.
You’re a Long fan, we got it, but the spoilt kid, who cried like a toddler yesterday, isn’t the one you think.

You think Long's parents are rich? That's hilarious. Obviously living in Boulder ain't cheap. But he's definitely not spoiled. You're overestimating the support in which his parents gave him aside from the roof they gave him while he was struggling as a young pro.

He's a cross over yes he ran some in high school, but he also played football in school. But he's still a cross over and not a kid who's been in the French age grade system and trained with the French National team. He's an age grouper to a pro.

______

Fully rotating commentators out and not having them talk over each other. They listened (well I hope they did and aren't going to try something else next year).

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 20, 22 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ALG wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Long is a fun athlete and so is this whole situation, but agreed on StroBro. He is overhyped on the hot takes and Long fanboism.

Objectively we know that:
1. They are all awesome athletes and fun.
2. Long and Sanders are back of the bunch swimmers.
3. Laidlow has a history of run struggles, but occasionally puts things together and is young.
4. Long and Sanders have awesome bike/runs and a ton of results.

5....This race is compelling. Who cares that some athlete is confident and another is confident too and personally grabs on to things as fuel? Lance, Michael Jordan all these types of people imagine enemies for motivation.

Why do people not get angry about Currie telling Baekkegard they will go well in the swim and Daniel will blow in the run? Those athletes all laughed at it. All of the drama with the Sam's is a non issue invented out of misunderstanding.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Aug 20, 22 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
44.8 miles Ryf +4:43 over Duffy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to see that footrace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

I have very mixed feelings about a sport in which you can get all the way to the top in your twenties without having to acquire the necessary skills at a younger age. It's out of the question in swimming. I know that there have been some women cyclists who started late and done well but Ryf won 70.3 Nice with an outstanding descent, based on her junior ITU years and riding the Swiss mountains. Just building a huge engine and pushing through all three disciplines doesn't really do the sport a favour. What differentiates a pro from an amateur? Just Vo2max and training volume? If road triathlons required Xterra skills then the crossover big lugs would very rarely sniff the front of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who makes the skinsuits for the athletes? I assume that because they are all wearing their teams colors, they aren't wearing sponsored suits who they have tested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“You think Long's parents are rich?”

Mmmh, read again, I didn’t say that. Just mentioned he didn’t have to earn everything he got like you suggested. That’s all.

Long reacted yesterday like a child who hasn’t heard “no” many times while growing up. Not to mention the press conference embarrassment.

______
Last edited by: ALG: Aug 20, 22 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
37.8 miles Findlay drilling it +3:52 on Matthews and Skye who are riding together. A bit of a surprise Kat that far back.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

Why do people not get angry about Currie telling Baekkegard they will go well in the swim and Daniel will blow in the run? Those athletes all laughed at it. All of the drama with the Sam's is a non issue invented out of misunderstanding.

You can blame PTO for contriving the drama?

Didn't see the Baekkergard one as that wasn't in the video. Didn't watch the ceremony (have a job 🤷‍♂️).

I'm gonna guess that was done in a joking manner. Laidlow's was not and perhaps he should take a speech class to learn tone and inflection of voice to express that. Hence the offense Long took.

Am I Long fan? Sure I guess. In the same way I actually like Wurf now.

Really a Sanders fan if anything. Also like Blu and Iden.
______
ETA: Daniela just crushing this. Bird is fully back.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 20, 22 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

You can blame PTO for contriving the drama?

Didn't see the Baekkergard one as that wasn't in the video. Didn't watch the ceremony (have a job 🤷‍♂️).

I'm gonna guess that was done in a joking manner. Laidlow's was not and perhaps he should take a speech class to learn tone and inflection of voice to express that. Hence the offense Long took.

Am I Long fan? Sure I guess. In the same way I actually like Wurf now.

Really a Sanders fan if anything. Also like Blu and Iden.

I haven't seen most of the videos except what people are posting. The Currie comment was shown in the live stream and they all laughed at it. You seem to spend a lot of energy to attack people in the race and outside of it.

I'm glad you have a job. So do I and it helps provide careers for everyone in my company. Its almost like we can have insight and opinions even with that, but without weird vitriol. Check it out sometime.

This stuff is fun. Lets keep it that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blummenfelt not pushing yet on the bike it seems. If it ends up being close between EUR and Int he may need to get as close to the 6 points as possible, but the run is too short for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see that they made it a draft legal event for Sanders and Long
Quote Reply

Prev Next