Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [triproftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triproftri wrote:
Gotta agree with Talbot that the the pile onto Sam Long shouldn't have been shown by the PTO. They just endorsed bullying.

And before anyone else recommends toxic masculinity (suck it up! it's boys being boys!), think about how many kids might have seen this who are bullied at school -- people, it's a lot these days. A LOT.

Rap that Laidlow authored also pokes fun at Sam Long for wearing pink -- and, fellas, we all know those references are dog whistle for pink representing soft femininity...because the world thinks that women who can push a bowling ball out of their bodies and then return to elite level athletics are "soft." Laidlow just wore toxic masculinity all over that. Thanks to the PTO for normalizing bullying [slow clap]

@talbot you have an inside view of the PTO. Can you send this back? I know that every single one of my women friends are cringing at this display by the PTO. It's not helping draw women into the sport.

I wouldn't bother Talbot, look how much attention it's got!

We can go back to Triathlon all being nice and no one really gets paid.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope Sam Long crushes Laidlow.

If you listen to what he is saying, he cops to being obnoxious and flamboyant in the past, but he was never hurtful. He’s being bullied by a lot of 2nd tier pros who think his outlandish personality has garnered him more sponsorship money than he deserves. Maybe they’re right. But, constantly bagging on him makes these athletes look childish and petty.

Sam Laidlow better strap it on tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I admit I wasn't 100% up with Laidlows record but even in the video he admits he hasn't really won anything.

Definitely could have been exposed to Covid before the race and the disease started affecting him at race time but he said (on his discord channel) he started showing symptoms on Wednesday after the race which would make me think he probably caught it after the race. Most people I know that have caught it usually were exposed 2-3 days before showing symptoms. Just a guess though.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the reality is, whether Laidlow backs it up or not, one will get to say "I told you so" the other will have to take it, and then I bet dollars to donuts they hug it out, high five, talk the other person up as a great race. This isn't going to be some long term "personal" beef. It'll mellow out, while the PTO may still keep it some contrived on going thing like they have the Lawrence Salthouse "rivalry".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 19, 22 19:15
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where can you hear laidlow’s rap? I heard the bit at the opening ceremony but is there anywhere where he raps it in it’s entirety?
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:
I hope Sam Long crushes Laidlow.

If you listen to what he is saying, he cops to being obnoxious and flamboyant in the past, but he was never hurtful. He’s being bullied by a lot of 2nd tier pros who think his outlandish personality has garnered him more sponsorship money than he deserves. Maybe they’re right. But, constantly bagging on him makes these athletes look childish and petty.

Sam Laidlow better strap it on tomorrow.

I have no idea who wins that race especially with Lionel and Long ready to work together. Laidlow has shown his capacity to get off the front and he can bike well. Who knows if he survives the bike or run, but this matchup as with the others looks to be fun.

All of that said and I haven't bothered to watch much of the content, this is him taking the piss out of Long. You can opine on cultures, but this is simple bullocks that seems very at place with guys from GB. This doesn't even rise to the level of NZ or Aussie levels of non stop shit talk.

Long looked a bit weird chasing the Norwegians around videoing them.

This is interesting. Ego, media presence, cultural confusion and everything else we get go in to this content of actual people dealing with things in a very different way.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
But the reality is, whether Laidlow backs it up or not, one will get to say "I told you so" the other will have to take it, and then I bet dollars to donuts they hug it out, high five, talk the other person up as a great race. This isn't going to be some long term "personal" beef. It'll mellow out, while the PTO may still keep it some contrived on going thing like they have the Lawrence Salthouse "rivalry".

For whatever reason my GF just replayed the audio, it's far worse the second time I've listened to it. They should have stopped filming and had his mother spank him. That wasn't "trash talk" or "smack talk". That was just an idiot being allowed to be hurtful. Alex Payne probably should quit to if this is what the PTO is going to put up with.

At least in Rugby you get to hit each other for 80 minutes.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you link the audio you are referencing. I've watched several of the PTO hub videos and I'm just not seeing/hearing these massive "personal" attacks. (I've not seen or heard this "rap" that is being referenced only like the last line so I dont have a take on that "offensiveness").

So link the offensive stuff please.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 19, 22 19:48
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are you all talking about that is so offensive? From the admittedly limited stuff I've seen, both Sam's are not understanding each other and awkward. Lionel is just kind of funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't tell by his tone starting at 22:40. Then we won't really agree on much.

But apparently he publicly agrees that his conduct was disrespectful.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes we won't agree, and I think the most important comment from the whole interview was from the PTO staffer "we got what we came for".....He did say as Long was leaving "sorry Sam it wasn't our intention....". But as the previous poster suggested, this is all a mesh of different cultures and acceptances, etc.

So, Yes the PTO got exactly what it wanted, the most viewed PTO content has been this clip. Again the PTO's biggest goal stated several times by the CEO is to hightlight the athletes. This is again is content gold for them. But again this is PG level "attacks" compared to what you'll see and hear at many UFC fights (who the PTO is trying to replicate by putting biggest spotlight on the athletes).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 19, 22 20:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

For whatever reason my GF just replayed the audio, it's far worse the second time I've listened to it. They should have stopped filming and had his mother spank him. That wasn't "trash talk" or "smack talk". That was just an idiot being allowed to be hurtful. Alex Payne probably should quit to if this is what the PTO is going to put up with.

I must have missed something here. The only other alternative is that this is some cultural difference.

Please give references to what specifically is hurtful. Not the "clearly this was this or that" BS because I can't see what's hurtful.

The Wong - Pingpong joke was totally harmless. See, the premise for the joke is that the top 3 in the ITTF rankings at this moment are Chinese and that Wong (Western version of Huang/Wang) is a common Chinese name. Praising a country for its ability to develop athletes isn't seen as racist on this side of the pond.

Totally different to bashing an individual or a group for how they dress/look/feel or choose to live their life.

Again, I might have missed something but the duathlete comment and the part of the rap that Laidlow mentioned during the matchup was ok IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
If you can't tell by his tone starting at 22:40. Then we won't really agree on much.

But apparently he publicly agrees that his conduct was disrespectful.

?

Are you from the United States of America? I think there are cultural misunderstandings in this hilarious debacle between OG British cultures and the new Murica that is confusing people.

I think both Sam's don't get each other's culture at all. This isn't disrespect, it is misunderstanding at a comical level. Both athletes look poorly. Sanders is happy as can be to have a teammate whose head is glitching a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

What am I missing here? I've seen or heard absolutely nothing hurtful or even disrespect, just a bit of banter.

Can't work out why Sam Long was almost in tears either.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
triproftri wrote:
Gotta agree with Talbot that the the pile onto Sam Long shouldn't have been shown by the PTO. They just endorsed bullying.

And before anyone else recommends toxic masculinity (suck it up! it's boys being boys!), think about how many kids might have seen this who are bullied at school -- people, it's a lot these days. A LOT.

Rap that Laidlow authored also pokes fun at Sam Long for wearing pink -- and, fellas, we all know those references are dog whistle for pink representing soft femininity...because the world thinks that women who can push a bowling ball out of their bodies and then return to elite level athletics are "soft." Laidlow just wore toxic masculinity all over that. Thanks to the PTO for normalizing bullying [slow clap]

@talbot you have an inside view of the PTO. Can you send this back? I know that every single one of my women friends are cringing at this display by the PTO. It's not helping draw women into the sport.

I wouldn't bother Talbot, look how much attention it's got!

We can go back to Triathlon all being nice and no one really gets paid.

Talbot doesn’t get a pass in this. All of the questions he asks off camera are prompting Laidlow to say something regarding Long, egging the whole thing on. Their IG has been tagging both Sams for weeks. The entire thing is cringe inducing, from the navel gazing monologue to the sad attempt at rapping and all of the tattoos. The PTO and their contrived rivalries are a joke and the athletes know it but are there for the paycheck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:
If you listen to what he is saying, he cops to being obnoxious and flamboyant in the past, but he was never hurtful.

This is exactly it. Long's banter is goofy and harmless. He has also toned it down significantly. After he signed with Trek and SwissSide, he openly talked about his past persona being about over the top to get attention, but that he doesn't need to do that anymore. Laidlow's jokes go for the juggular and are in poor taste.

I guess some of us are Longs and some are Laidlows. If you think pink and Wong jokes are okay, then you're a Laidlow.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Longs personality brings this on though, the whole brash Yo, Yo, Yo, strongest legs, I'll drop Lionel in the swim etc, there is going to be banter/jokes/abuse between the teams, they aren't exactly going to be picking on Matt Hansen are they 😂. Same for the internationals, Lionel and Wilde both put themselves out there and get jokey attacks as well

I just think Laidlaw has hit a nerve after Longs rather unsuccessful Euro trip

Be interesting to see what happens if Long wins, will he be humble to prove a point and be the bigger man or return to his usual in ya face ott persona
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AS88 wrote:

The Wong - Pingpong joke was totally harmless. See, the premise for the joke is that the top 3 in the ITTF rankings at this moment are Chinese and that Wong (Western version of Huang/Wang) is a common Chinese name. Praising a country for its ability to develop athletes isn't seen as racist on this side of the pond.

Totally different to bashing an individual or a group for how they dress/look/feel or choose to live their life.

Again, I might have missed something but the duathlete comment and the part of the rap that Laidlow mentioned during the matchup was ok IMO.

A stereotype is a stereotype is a stereotype. It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative. It's reducing an entire identity to one aspect of culture. Not ok.

Same with the reference to pink. I'm not the biggest Sam Long fan, but I am happy he rocks the traditionally non masculine color. I wish there were even more gender stereotypes he would break.

I believe Talbot when he says it wasn't staged. There can be many reasons why it went down the way it did. I'm just not a fan of the hype train. It feels forced. I do like the racing, though! And the general behind the scenes stuff.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [barrec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the jokes laidlow made which went for the jugular? All I see are jokes about long being a duathlete and banter about how he is going to beat him? Long is 1 of those typical obnoxious people who can’t handle someone being obnoxious to him.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, nothing hitting a jugular. Mostly mocking the swim. Seemed to really touch a nerve when Laidlow said he out bike/ran Long at StG. Long went on a defensive about a car crash and then made up some hyperbole about laidlow mocking the crash.

Longs poor results this year have clearly gotten to him and Laidlows mocking has just pushed him too far. Given his past it just looks really poor that he can dish it but can't take it. As someone mentioned if Laidlow was going at Hanson, it would be way out of line but Long has opened himself up to this
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [barrec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
barrec wrote:
AS88 wrote:

A stereotype is a stereotype is a stereotype. It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative. It's reducing an entire identity to one aspect of culture. Not ok.

Same with the reference to pink. I'm not the biggest Sam Long fan, but I am happy he rocks the traditionally non masculine color. I wish there were even more gender stereotypes he would break.

I believe Talbot when he says it wasn't staged. There can be many reasons why it went down the way it did. I'm just not a fan of the hype train. It feels forced. I do like the racing, though! And the general behind the scenes stuff.

It’s probably a good sign for our times that people think this is offensive. It means they have nothing better to do, and no real actual social issues to think of.
What’s behind Laidlow’s comments is that China rules ping pong. You can decide to be offended, but when you have a second, check with Chinese people to see how they feel. Maybe you’ll realize you’re more offended than the people you think should be offended. Would you think it’s offensive to say Kenya and Ethiopia rule marathon distance?

Long’s reaction is utterly ridiculous. This kid seriously needs help from his family and friends. Away from social media. I hope he gets it so he can deliver to his full potential.

Hoping that non sense can be put aside. There’s amazing racing to focus on today.
Last edited by: ALG: Aug 20, 22 1:34
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
I can assure you this was not staged or fake. I dont think this video provides the built up and context to what happened. I like both sams. I do have to back sam long on this one. There was alot of personal messages sent and maybe to the point it was bullying. This was just the breaking point.

This was all real prob should of not been shown on Camera tbh but im sure you all saw the press conference and what sam had to say.

I do know after the door slam lionel went and got sam and got him fired up and chatted with him for a bit. You will deff see sanders and long working together.

i would be interested who edited the video ... as this person obviously wanted it to be the way it is .
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - INT v USA v EUR [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And they are off!!

Danielle keeping up with Duffy and True. I thought she'd be back from the start. Too me, this first match up is the most interesting of them all. Duffy obviously still in her prime and Danielle seems to be back to her old days of winning. Hopefully all 3 are feeling good.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - INT v USA v EUR [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather is cooperating for now. Ashleigh Gentle went off like a missile trying to drop Phillip and Sodaro.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup - Selections for INT, USA and EUR teams [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So probably the better word is contrived. If you watch the videos pto did all the interviews post the matchup ceremony. Meaning pto knew it had a tender box going and just kept poking the issue. Interesting that of all the 3 person sit downs that only this juicy interview got published before the races. All the others will just be used as filler during the races.

So sure real feelings are being hurt here but it’s all being pushed by pto: They know what they are doing.

And now the races begin.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next