Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Collins Cup....2020?
Quote | Reply
I thought this was supposed to originally happen last year.

Then I thought it was moved to this year.

Now it seems it's moved to 2020?

Is this some imaginary idea of a race that will never come to fruition?
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [907Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon event equivalent of vaporware !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
907Tri wrote:

I really doubt it will ever happen. There are so many races and too few pros to go around.
The concept is also not appealing? 3 regions/teams racing an IM distance? Most prefer to watch super league!
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
Triathlon event equivalent of vaporware !

There's a lot of triathlon vaporware.

TriHabitat
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

I am still struggling to understand the concept of this race and how it will unfold. Hasn't made sense to me at all.

I believe at one point in was an ITT with pros going off and different times or something of the such?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.thecollinscup.com/

Just heard of this for the first time for some reason. Looks like its actually happening although there is still no set date and the distance of the race (races?) seems unclear as well. Seems like it would be fun to be a part of.

*Waves hand at team USA captain* (unless it's full distance only)

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Jan 16, 20 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like 1/2 to full distance races in the series. And I like the ranking system, except I dont see anything in the formula for short or long courses? They base the par time on what they think can be achieved on the day, and I like that they also take the race day conditions into account too. But what if the course is really 109 miles on the bike, or 25.2 on the run, or 115 on the bike? Seems like if you dont take that into consideration, you are either going to reward or screw the athletes on the day for their ranking..

Unless of course they are also going to go into the course certification business, that would be great.. Otherwise they could cave man it by using an average of folks garmins and other measuring devices, but they need something to know what distance was actually covered...

Hope they pull it off, with that kind of commitment from so many athletes, they better have a pretty hefty purse on offer..
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they make this shorter, maybe Oly distance, this would have the potential to be quite entertaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They need to check their mathematics too whilst they're at it...

"In addition, athletes will be awarded bonus points of ½ point for every two minute margin by which they beat their opponents in their respective races. A maximum of fifteen minutes margin per race can earn a team a crucial 1½ bonus points"

Half a point per 2 mins. 15 mins max. That'll be 7.5 points then not 1.5.

Even Dianne Abbott could get that one right.🤣 (little ref for the English out there)
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they make this shorter, maybe Oly distance, this would have the potential to be quite entertaining. //

But that would be tough, as there is already a lot of competition in that space. First is the ITU, and they already have their own ranking system, World Series, world champs, and of course the olympics. And now there is super league, which if it stays funded, will carve out a nice niche next to ITU. And they will of course have their own rankings too for the series.

SO what's left is longer races. I agree, not as exciting to watch, but far as I can tell, triathlon does not make much money on eyeballs outside of maybe Kona on tv each year. So a real ranking system for that side of the sport would be great, the WTC one failed miserably, and doest really reflect much other than a couple races. This will bring into the fold all the other big names outside of ITU into some cohesive environment. One where they can shine a little bit more, maybe get a little more press, thus a few more $$. But like I said, gonna have to be a lot of $$ in these Raes and series for the big names to show up, otherwise it is 2nd tier pros with nothing better to do. At least if the big names show up, that makes it a bit more interesting, even though it is long distance racing we are talking about. Match ups make the race, not the race itself...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that’s like saying Ryder Cup won’t work because there are already 18-hole golf events.
The event would be very different—different enough draw other interest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But how would it be different, and how do you poach athletes from the olympic path??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I misread but aren’t these races individual one on one on one races?? It’s a one time event, why couldnt ITU athletes double dip?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears that I may have missed something. I think you are right, it is a one day race, it looked like a series to me. When I saw the ranking requirements of 1/2 to full, I just assumed that the races would be a series of those. But looking closer(they need to explain this a bit better) it is 12x 3 person head to head races. I can't seem to find the distances, maybe all different ones? In that way, the teams can place different individuals in different spots?

So they stagger the starts of the 12 races over 2 hours it looks like, I kind of fail to see any excitement in that format. SO back to my original premise, it will have to be match ups we care about, but even then, probably a done deal pretty early in each race. With only 3 athletes, just the nature of competition. Hell, we often have a hard time getting a race between 2, rarely 3 athletes in LDT, and that is with 20+ starters. It is going to have to be a lot of money to get known big names to do this. Maybe the countries will buy in somehow and kick in some $$, but I doubt it. They seem to be all in on ITU/olympic stuff, that is where federation dollars go these days..
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
907Tri wrote:

I really doubt it will ever happen. There are so many races and too few pros to go around.
The concept is also not appealing? 3 regions/teams racing an IM distance? Most prefer to watch super league!

Agree. Worst PR Stunt of all time.

What's next? The professionals getting together to buy Ironman?

Give me a spell.

Slow N.E.W.S. day?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/...b_button_share_sheet

This, and a bunch of the top athletes like Kanute, Rudy, Hoffman, Lawrence, Lucy etc. absolutely flooded my Instagram feed with a whole lot of "proud to be apart of the PTO..." or just mentioning it in general. Looks like there's going to be a big announcement tomorrow 09:00 GMT

Dominic Pollizzi

Last edited by: zestypollizzi: Jan 20, 20 20:26
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zestypollizzi wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/...b_button_share_sheet

This, and a bunch of the top athletes like Kanute, Rudy, Hoffman, Lawrence, Lucy etc. absolutely flooded my Instagram feed with a whole lot of "proud to be apart of the PTO..." or just mentioning it in general. Looks like there's going to be a big announcement tomorrow 09:00 GMT

sure sure. It won't be the who's who of the sport.

It will be a few.

Their goal has been to get the best Ironman / 70.3 and Olympic athletes into their professional organisation and race.

They won't do it. 50% of the top professionals won't race, that's if they put something on.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To anyone, not PJC, although you might even agree with me. What in the history of the PTO makes you think they'll actually do something? They used their social media channel to attack the largest promoter in the game and to continuously push their "event" back every year. I'm pretty miffed that Rinny and Tim are associated with this shady organization.

Players Associations coalesce, they don't form top down like this idiotic thing is. So what happens when the Collins Cup fails to even happen? Or just flops after year 1?

So far the only organization doing anything for Pros, other than Ironman is really Super League. And we don't know how long Super League's VC runway is. Remember, Northpoint, they're Venture Capitalists. If this thing isn't on track to put them in a positive revenue cycle this will die in five years easy.

Hilarious that there are a bunch of Bahrain Endurance athletes on board...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jan 20, 20 22:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
sure sure. It won't be the who's who of the sport.

It will be a few.

Their goal has been to get the best Ironman / 70.3 and Olympic athletes into their professional organisation and race.

They won't do it. 50% of the top professionals won't race, that's if they put something on.

Nope, not a who's who. I mean Jan, Gomez, Brownlee, Charles, Haug, Carfrae, Kienle, Holly etc., who are they?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like the site is live https://thecollinscup.com/team-europe/

I dont understand this at all but, i would bet on team europe
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks very cool to me. I will watch it.
Quote Reply
Re: Collins Cup....2020? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at the Calendar...so basically it's just the Challenge Championship at Samorin with a larger prize purse. Nice little bait and switch.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Instagram, Sanders and Hanson, and Lauren Brandon are doing it...not sure who else, but that's a good start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read a press release that said they have the top 35 men and women signed on. Presuming it is their new ranking system they used for that, this is really cool.

2 million bucks for one event, that is going to be something that will be very hard to miss if you are a long distance triathlete. Hell, some ITU folks are certainly going to try and cross over for this one, especially if it is just a 1/2 distance. And I just read the resume of the guy funding the whole thing, seems like a pretty solid dude, with a long running business going back to the 80's.

Funny how virtually all of the last decade race start ups, have been from rich guys with a big interest in triathlon. I suppose with WTC with such a stranglehold on the sport(long distance), that it was just impossible for others to compete in an organic manner. Perhaps we are seeing the future of professional sport, much like our Basketball, baseball, and football. I think this is great, and certainly a few million dollars in pros pockets will not hurt their causes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I figured there must have been a bigger release but only saw a few posts on IG. I think this looks cool. At least for me, other than Kona and Olympics (and maybe 70.3 worlds) this is probably the only other event I will make an effort to see. I don’t watch much triathlon on tv as I don’t find it very interesting but this event looks very cool!
Quote Reply

Prev Next