Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold weather triathlon advice
Quote | Reply
We had a cool front and we have a sprint tri tomorrow. Forecast is for 48° F, wind 6-10 mph during the entire race.
  • Swim - doesn't matter, the water will still be in the 70s.
  • Run - doesn't matter, the weather will be perfect
  • Bike - Wow, that wind chill is going to be killer with an apparent wind speed of 15-35 mph.

I'm not worried about the swim or run but what should I do about the bike? We live in south Texas, I can tell you what to do for 70.3 miles when it is over 110° but this below 50° nonsense is new territory for me.

My inclination is to just tough it out on the bike, it is only sprint distance after all. Any suggestions? I don't have any cold weather gear and the entire family is doing the race, wife and three kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather triathlon advice [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you looking to be competitive? If so, I'd just tough it out with a normal tri suit. If you're just looking to complete it, I'd throw a jacket on after the swim for some extra comfort
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut a rescue blanket, stuff it under the front of your kit before the swim.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay home and drink. /pink-maybe.

If for some reason you don't come to your senses.... I did a sprint like that last year in Dallas. Major issues:

1. Frozen feet. Put toe covers on your bike shoes. Use the plastic down your trisuit trick.
2. Fogging of glasses. Use rainx on them.

If you can get to T2 without being frozen stiff, you will do very well. Most will be frozen and running 45s-60s/mi slower than normal. It took the entire 5k for my ankles to loosen up, and be able to feel my toes.

It might even be worth the time to put on full booties... Not sure. I'd have to try and practice that to see how fast it could be done.. Maybe pre-installed on shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather triathlon advice [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Frozen feet. Put toe covers on your bike shoes.
I don't have any cold weather gear for cycling, I wonder if plastic bags worn like socks would stop the wind?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That will probably work. I second putting a trash bag under your Jersey. You can rip it off during the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
put some warm water inside your wetsuit before the start

For the bike, arm sleeves are easy to adjust up and down or remove and tuck in somewhere
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Oct 26, 19 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done several sprints in the 40-50 degree range (and some even colder). If it's the normal S/B/R format, just have a towel to dry most of the water off yourself after the swim. Toughing it out on the bike at 48 degrees with nothing but a trisuit would be tough if it were me. I'd go with toe covers on your shoes and gloves on your hands. You might want to have an headband for your ears. If you include arm and or knee warmers, you'll spend some time dealing with them in T-1. Once you get to the run, 48 degrees ought to feel good, but I'd have some run gloves.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather triathlon advice [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
put some warm water inside your wetsuit before the start

For the bike, arm sleeves are easy to adjust up and down or remove and tuck in somewhere

Where do you get warm water from?
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather triathlon advice [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thermos.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleep in.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather triathlon advice [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put hothand under the toe covers. Gloves and head band for ears are must. I’m doing Waco tomorrow and it will be miserable on the bike for the first hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the help. Here is how it turned out.

• The water was so cold it stung more than felt cold. I really didn't care much, past the first 5 seconds it wasn't an issue.
  • I stuck my feet in plastic bags and it did cut out the wind. However, it also collected water that dripped down my legs so I'm not sure it was worth it or not.
  • I wore some light gloves on the bike which kept my hands perfectly comfortable.
  • Other than that, I just wore my wet tri suit. As soon as I got into the rhythm then I didn't even notice the cold anymore.
  • The run, of course was fine at that temperature. Although, my feet were completely number for the first mile. It didn't bother me, it was just really strange.

My wife and kids were a little freaked out, there were many swimmers calling to be pulled out of the water in their swim waves. It was just too cold and some people let it get to their heads and abandoned the swim. I've never heard of that before. But then again, we are more used to temp >100 than we are cold weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. How'd you place?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Cool. How'd you place?

13th overall, 3rd AG (It was a small race). I'm still having trouble with pacing, I'm not used to the sprint distance and I could have pushed harder.

More importantly, my kids got 1st, 2nd and 2nd. LOML got 4th and only missed it by 12 seconds, this is her first tri season ever. She blew about 4 minutes helping other women who were freaked out by the cold swim.

I'm looking forward to next season, I'm secretly hoping that as a family of 5 we will get 5 places at the same race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Especially Cool that's its a whole family deal.

Congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Booties for a 50 degree sprint race? You’re ten-ply, bud.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J/k - that can be nasty, especially with rain. I’d towel off, toe covers, maybe socks. Gloves with fingers for sure.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply