Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've kept off soda for a couple of years now....a few years back, my old Suburban was having real battery/alternator issues...not being too handy with cars I took it to the local gas station, one of the few filling stations that has great, enthusiastic mechanics working on site. I explained the problem to the mechanic, who told me to buy her a Coke. I thought it was an odd means of payment, but this is a quirky place, so I didn't think twice. She proceeded to pour the Coke all over the battery contacts and I watched as the cola ate through the corrosion and gunk that had built up on the battery contacts. Ate it away like acid. That was pretty much it for me and soda....yeah, I'll occasionally have the odd Mexican coke after a really hard/hot run, but watching that Coke eat away battery corrosion and thinking of what it does to the stomach shifted me to water, iced tea, sports drinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [B-Dub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a dentist, I can comment there is substantial evidence that coffee can have anticariogenic properties. (It can prevent decay). Of course, that is without creamer or any sort of sweetener. There is absolutely no value in drinking pop, in my opinion.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for tips/assistance from those who stopped drinking soda. Trying to stop it completely - regular and diet. Ideas please?
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unsweet tea. I started with lots of Splenda and then ramped down to just straight. It's refreshing, has a touch of caffeine, and tastes great with a shot of lemon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbonated water. I still drink soda when I need the sugar (between workouts,) but the carbonation in the water is still very satisfying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
cloy26 wrote:
I had a pepsi max six months ago from a vending machine because the coffee bar was closed and I was in need of some caffeine.

I took 3 sips and deposited it in the trash can. cannot do.

Drank 4 pint bottles of Diet Dr. Pepper when I was stuck in the airport all monday. Loved it, felt like a champ, got zero calories and suppressed appetite. Good times.
Suppressed appetite? Really?
I'm not sure how much evidence there is to support it, nor do I have a reference to hand, but there is a theory that sweet food or drink that doesn't actually contain the calories that it tastes like it should, will actually cause cravings to satisfy the calorie discrepancy.
Like I said I don't know how much data there is to support this but it seems credible to me.
Given that cravings, in the long term, are more powerful than will power, this would make "diet" drinks a very bad idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'll share some helpful stuff and then give the shameless plug.....

If caffeine is your concern when drinking coffee then you should be paying attention to the roast level of the coffee you are drinking.

Lighter roasted coffee has more caffeine
Darker roasted coffee has less caffeine

if you are a Starbucks fanatic... they pretty much blast everything they roast on the surface of the sun, so not a whole lot of caffeine there.

There is a huge misconception out there that the darker the coffee the more of a jolt you will feel but that is not true. The roasting process is essentially drawing water and other minerals out of the beans so it looses its potency the darker it is roasted.

Like many of you I stopped drinking soda all together and went to unsweet tea to cut out large amounts of sugar in my diet, which in the south makes you alien. I felt a lot better and it was much easier to cut weight I was holding over from my college days.

now the shameless plug..... if you want good coffee, check out TampaCoffeeClub.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sick of "soda snobs". I drink diet sodas when I go out for lunch or dinner. I hate it when someone says "you know sodas bad for you". You know what, Just let me eat my damn dinner while you shove fat down your throat and drink your water.

I dont buy the fact that diet sodas are bad for you. Sure there's artificial sweeteners and dyes but you'll need to drink 1000 colas a day to kill the rat they tested it on.

As for the acidity......... you do know that your stomach acid has a pH of about 1-2. So when I drink my acidic diet cola it's actually buffering my stomach.

I do buy the fact that if you drink diet soda you will probably eat more than if you drank water. Just going to that sweet tasting soda makes you want go back for more fries or that second helping of nachos.

Soda snobs are on the same level as vegans in my book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't drink coffee until I was 30. I drank a shitload of diet soda though. I didn't drink diet soda because it was diet, but regular soda was too sweet for me. I started drinking coffee because I knew diet soda wasn't good for me. It took a while want a coffee instead of a diet soda, but I started sleeping better, I had some bladder issues that went away. Coffee doesn't make me poop quite like a diet soda in the AM, so race mornings I down one to get everything moving, but that's the only time. From time to time on a ride I'll grab a regular soda for the sugar and during IMs I drink soda when available. I also grab a diet coke from time to time and I can tell now crappy it makes me feel. I have to pee all the time when I drink it so I sleep like crap.

I drink my coffee black when I make it at home. Which is 98% of the time. If I go to to a coffee shop I drink a latte, usually a breve latte. I have a fear of bad coffee so I don't buy it from a gas station etc, those are the times I drink a diet coke or something if I really need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Looking for tips/assistance from those who stopped drinking soda. Trying to stop it completely - regular and diet. Ideas please?
Thanks, John

I used to drink two regular Cokes a day. I switched from regular to diet but not cold turkey. I just stopped buying regular Coke at the supermarket and only had diet at home. If I wanted a regular Coke I had to go out and get it. That dramatically cut back on my regular Coke consumption and gradually I lost the taste for it. Once you switch completely to diet you can start substituting iced tea. The flavored iced teas (I like Trader Joe's stuff) are pretty tasty and only have about half as many calories as juice.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:
I'm so sick of "soda snobs". I drink diet sodas when I go out for lunch or dinner. I hate it when someone says "you know sodas bad for you". You know what, Just let me eat my damn dinner while you shove fat down your throat and drink your water.

I dont buy the fact that diet sodas are bad for you. Sure there's artificial sweeteners and dyes but you'll need to drink 1000 colas a day to kill the rat they tested it on.

As for the acidity......... you do know that your stomach acid has a pH of about 1-2. So when I drink my acidic diet cola it's actually buffering my stomach.

I do buy the fact that if you drink diet soda you will probably eat more than if you drank water. Just going to that sweet tasting soda makes you want go back for more fries or that second helping of nachos.

Soda snobs are on the same level as vegans in my book.

No doubt!
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
jaretj wrote:
How will stopping drinking soda improve their health?

jaretj

6 years later and still not answered...

jaretj wrote:
jaretj wrote:
I dropped it for 6 months before my last IM...didn't notice a thing except I got to drink a lot of bad tasting water.

trolololo this thread is great.

I ran a 50k this past weekend and at mile 20 i emptied out my water bottle and filled it with coke.. wouldn't have made it through the last 10 miles if I hadn't! Life saver!
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both coffee and tea contain antioxidants (and different antioxidants). As long as you don't flood them with sugar it's some of the best beverages you can have. I usually drink 2 cups of coffee, back tea, and green tea a day (but I do work night shift so I may over do it haha.
Ai_1 wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
years ago, as a highschool track runner, i did a training camp with one of canada's olympic team coaches. asked for his #1 piece of advice for young runners, he said, "don't drink soda."

all that crappy sugar's bad enough, but it's the phosphorous that he was especially worried about - stuff's awful for your bones.

i'm in the same boat in terms of not drinking coffee - fortunately i drink tea. best of both worlds, i think - it's got caffeine and maybe some antioxidants, but is otherwise nutritionally pretty inert (especially compared with soda or a double-mocha frappucino).

i think soda's useful in training/competition - there's times when a can of coke works miracles on a long ride or late in a marathon. but as daily habits go, it's a shitty one.

-mike

I drink both tea and coffee. While tea contains caffeine it is, I'm pretty sure, quite a bit less than coffee at normal drinking strength. I'm curious what other significant nutritional impact coffee has? I normally drink my coffee much the same way as my tea. i.e. sometimes black or sometimes with a small amount of milk. Sometimes a very little sugar and sometimes none. I don't worry about health impact nor do I think I need to. I'll occasionally have a cappuccino or latte, more calories but it's just some extra milk so no big deal. On the other hand if you're drinking coffee based concoctions laced with flavouring syrups and whatnot then you're half-way to sodas!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink 3 cans of diet coke a day, my doctor says I'm healthy.

Name 1 health benefit of diet coke and how it keeps you healthy?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

MmmKay, but the pH of your mouth is right around 7-7.5. Whereas the acid may not affect the stomach so much, it does bad things to your mouth (especially your teeth).

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

MmmKay, but the pH of your mouth is right around 7-7.5. Whereas the acid may not affect the stomach so much, it does bad things to your mouth (especially your teeth).

The acid on your teeth from soft drinks is overrated. Sodas are a little bit more acidic than coffee. The frequency of sugar is what's destroying teeth these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
cloy26 wrote:
That carbonation, though...

Nothing burping once or twice can't solve.

Agree. I don't get the "flat coke" thing. Nothing better than an extra, extra, extra cold coke after a workout. Carbonation never bothered me.

Although... I do think this thread is beginning to make me cut my soda intake by at least half. I had 1 diet soda with dinner tonight, after a run. Orange juice for breakfast and water the rest of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:

Kinda like the vegetarians. They comment on my steak and potatoes, yet they can't do a damn ironman. So, who is healthy and fit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

The acid on your teeth from soft drinks is overrated. Sodas are a little bit more acidic than coffee. The frequency of sugar is what's destroying teeth these days.

True, frequency of refined sugar is a HUGE consideration with respect to dental health. But why?? It's my understanding that bacteria utilize the sugar, metabolize it, and the waste product is.....ACID.

Not to turn this into a dental seminar ( I'm actually attending one right now, yawn)...but everytime you eat or drink ANYTHING, there is a measurable drop in pH in the oral cavity...so frequency of eating can also be a factor in decay risk.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

It keeps me from drinking 3 beers a day
It keeps me from ingesting an extra 600 calories a day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

It keeps me from drinking 3 beers a day
It keeps me from ingesting an extra 600 calories a day

Though I am still working I don't have enough retirement built up to live into my 90's. Coke Zero is my pleasurable path to shorten the time line to match my meager retirement savings. Maybe I should also add in a daily ration of bacon. mmmmm......bacon :-)

Not counting the substantial risk I take being on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny :)
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
mercuryvapor wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

True, frequency of refined sugar is a HUGE consideration with respect to dental health. But why?? It's my understanding that bacteria utilize the sugar, metabolize it, and the waste product is.....ACID.

Not to turn this into a dental seminar ( I'm actually attending one right now, yawn)...but everytime you eat or drink ANYTHING, there is a measurable drop in pH in the oral cavity...so frequency of eating can also be a factor in decay risk.

I actually wouldn't mind if you turned this into a dental seminar. I'm still a few CEU short for 2016. I figure my Peter Dawson and Pikos courses this summer should ensure me enough CE for the year.However, I'm still going to drink my diet soda with lunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This problem was solved in 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnTbmPxv5g

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee or Soda, better or worse? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
This problem was solved in 1984

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXnTbmPxv5g