Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!)
Quote | Reply
Our Cuisinart "Extreme Brew" died Christmas morning! It makes good regular coffee and we have been happy with it. However, we would really like a built-in grinder.

Good news is my Sweetie promises a belated gift. I would like a coffee maker with a built in grinder. We don't do the fancy stuff - just good, fresh, strong, black coffee - and a bit snobbish about that, even though it is simple . . . suggestions please.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Dec 25, 20 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve looked into these in the past and iirc the general consensus was that all the built in grinders are terrible. It’s been a while so maybe that has changed.

Integrated is easier, but probably not as good. Guess it depends on whether you put more emphasis on simple or snobbish.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gaggia Brera. Does it produce extremely refined and sophisticated espresso?

No.

Does it produce coffee and espresso that’s damn good and good enough for my plebe-like palate?

You bet your ass it does.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
price range? these suckers can vary in price GREATLY.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m tight, but can afford whatever. So I guess purpose and value is the issue. FYI - I do have a disc wheel!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo, built in grinders are not great.

Coffee snobbery gets really expensive, really really expensive, really fast.

For the "I want damn good consistent coffee without a loan" it's really hard to beat the combination of a Baratza Encore grinder and a Bonavita 8-cup drip machine.

You won't wow anybody with sex appeal, but you'll make damn fine coffee.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make coffee for my wife and myself using a java press burr grinder and an old fashioned french press. It's more time consuming, but worth it in the end. I wouldn't trade it for an expensive do it all machine. I do plan on upgrading to an electric kettle for heating up the water. Right now I'm just using a pot on the stove with a thermometer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got a Jura S8 for Xmas....still in testing mode but all the reviews by self proclaimed coffee snobs are great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve gifted a few Juras over the years and they’ve always been a big hit. The E6 and D6 have both received rave reviews from family.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [TRI_ATL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m really particular about my coffee and espresso - my brother’s brother-in-laws call me the Little Barista - and I also decided against a built-in grinder as I didn’t want to afford the cost of one (that does both well). I decided on a Baratza Encore for the grinder after doing it by hand for a while - really happy with it other than the small amount of extra grounds that drop out of the burr into the counter after I remove the catch tray. I usually do a pour over or French press for my coffees, but bought the wife a OXO coffee maker and it makes a really solid cup when I taste hers. The Baratza makes great espresso - you might not get true Turkish fine out of it but it’s really hard to tell.

Whatever you do on the grinder get one with a burr (instead of blade).
Last edited by: mrfreeze: Dec 25, 20 16:01
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with mrfreeze.
Consistently even grind is crucial for the perfect cup. I also am a big fan of Baratza—we opted for the Vario, which has the high torque motor and ceramic burrs. Has been consistently grinding every morning for the last 6 years without a hiccup, and still going strong.

For brewing, can highly recommend Technivorm Moccamaster, handmade in the Netherlands. It will consistently brew to a perfect 200F/ 95C every time without fail, the optimal temperature extraction—few machines come close to this performance.

While the Baratza Vario and Technivorm Moccamaster are pricy, they are high quality, last years and years, making consistently great coffee every day without fail.

My days can be all over the place, but I can say that they always start with a perfect cup of Joe—small pleasures are sometimes worth it. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another thought: if the grinder is integrated with the brewer, then when either item fails, the whole unit fails. Well, maybe some people have the mechanical expertise to get it working again. But, no offense, you presumably don't, because you asked. This is not a knock on you, I don't think most of us have that expertise. I certainly don't.

So, why not get a separate grinder and a separate brewer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you just want a regular pot of coffee, then ignore the suggestions for the super automatic espresso machines.

For regular coffee with a built in grinder, your best bet is to get the same thing you had before, the cuisinart. If you want to spend a little more, the other option is the Breville Grind Control, which is really just a slightly more fancy version of the cuisinart.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As other people have said get the encore. I had ground for 10 years with a good hand crank burr grinder and I’ll never look back now.

As far as machine? You don’t need one get a french press and a solid pour over and you’re fine unless you want an espresso.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [Jae K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jae K wrote:
Consistently even grind is crucial for the perfect cup. I also am a big fan of Baratza—we opted for the Vario, which has the high torque motor and ceramic burrs. Has been consistently grinding every morning for the last 6 years without a hiccup, and still going strong.

For brewing, can highly recommend Technivorm Moccamaster, handmade in the Netherlands. It will consistently brew to a perfect 200F/ 95C every time without fail, the optimal temperature extraction—few machines come close to this performance.

While the Baratza Vario and Technivorm Moccamaster are pricy, they are high quality, last years and years, making consistently great coffee every day without fail.

My days can be all over the place, but I can say that they always start with a perfect cup of Joe—small pleasures are sometimes worth it. :-)

Agreed that Moccamaster is awesome. We have one and visited relatives in the Netherlands a year ago. Upon seeing a Moccamaster in the kitchen we commented to which the 78 year old owner said "I wish that thing would die so I could get a new one!". They are so well built, make such consistently awesome coffee, it's hard to not have one. I also agree the combo units are when one part fails, the entire thing is no good, much like the old days of combo VHS/TV machines.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"But, no offense, you presumably don't, because you asked. This is not a knock on you,"
------------------------------------
You are spot on! No offense whatsoever. I was just looking for a bit more convenience. Perhaps I just go back to what I had, which was good.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burr grinder is a must. The bladed type grinders burn the bean. Still waking up and forget what burr grinder I have. It can be a little messy but its just a small amount of ground coffee it will leave on the countertop.

For the coffee maker I have an old Espresso maker, forget the brand of it too, if I want Espresso. Do pour overs, and French roast if I have the time and even have a ceramic burr hand grinder, once again if I have the time. My mainstay is a Cuisinart drip that I carnage the water filter on monthly and only use filtered water.

For the bean my main stay is French Roast, occasionally Espresso and toss in a tasty light roast here and there to mix things up. I basically shop my coffee from a local roastry.

I love my morning coffee and it’s what gets my day started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saecco Vienna Plus

I've had mine for 15 years and it still makes perfect espresso (with crema) and americanos (with crema). I don't use the steam wand.
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
For the "I want damn good consistent coffee without a loan" it's really hard to beat the combination of a Baratza Encore grinder and a Bonavita 8-cup drip machine.

You won't wow anybody with sex appeal, but you'll make damn fine coffee.

+1, the Technivorm Moccamaster is a nice upgrade on the machine side, but pretty similar in coffee output from what I can tell (probably will last longer/more repairable)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a cheap snob. So I bought this about a year ago. I have a few gripes but I use it like a warrior every morning. Would I buy it again? Yup. Absolutely. Is it my dream built-in coffee grinding coffee maker? Nope.

Pros:
Cheap
Reliable
Super super easy to use
Pretty easy to clean
Makes really yummy coffee consistently

Cons:
Hella loud - sends the cats running every morning
I wish 100% of the grounds made it to the filter, but I'd guess 3-5% of the grounds stick to the grinder every time and don't get brewed (wasted!)
I have to clean (1) the pot (2) the lid to the pot (3) the filter basket (4) the filter basket lid (5) the grinder, and (6) the grinder lid EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

https://www.amazon.com/...le?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [Jae K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jae K wrote:

This. We had two Cuisinart Grind and Brew machines. First one lasted about two years and the second one about the same. Since they are too expensive to be considered disposable, I then upgraded to the Moccamaster and it looks and works as new after 5+ years. The coffee is far superior as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plenty of advice here already and I'll just give my two cents. Coffee is one of my big hobbies, and it predates my cycling hobby as well.

1) Grinder is essential, even more than your coffee maker. Baratza is good, and the encore is a solid entry-level grinder. I bought a virtuoso in 2009 (before the encore was released) and it still works for all my non-espresso grinding. I've made several repairs over the years but nothing crazy. If I were to be in the market again I guess I would consider the encore or Sette 30 as the Sette series has a unique design with low retention but doesn't get as crazy in price as the others. I've gotten encore grinders for family as gifts over the years. A solid unit though it is a slower grinder than my virtuoso, and I think that is something you might want to consider.

2) For actually making the coffee think about how much you want at a given time. Manual methods can be had cheaply (aeropress, various pour overs such as Hario V60 or chemex) but they will differ on volumes they can handle. Considering the importance of water and temperature, your most effective option might be a manual method with decent kettle and water filter.

For a drip machine the bonavita might be the most cost-effective good machine (I've had one since ~2012 or 2013). The main alternative is the technivorm which is a big increase in cost though not a slam dunk in quality. Ratio is newer, and their "six" machine looks to be the better balance of cost and performance though it is still technivorm-level expensive.

3) None of this pertains to espresso. Espresso is probably my favorite brew method but I reserve separate machinery for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save yourself the trouble and get yourself a Son Of A Barista machine. It’s small, makes exceptional espresso and the pods are cheap. In fact the machine is “free” when you buy the pods currently.

https://sonofabarista.com/...yr&sca_source=BB

I was skeptical but my wife doesn’t like to use our Breville so she wanted something easy when I’m not home to grind/brew for her. Reviews are amazing. I now can’t imagine bothering with the Breville!
Quote Reply
Re: Coffee maker w/ grinder help - PLEASE (Ours died this morning!) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to the Gaggia Brera as the least expensive all in one coffee machine. It's really an espresso machine but makes pretty good one touch coffee. I have the Gaggia Anima, which is similar but one model level higher. These machines grind fresh beans each time and dump the used pucks into an internal container. Incredibly convenient.

And they even make decent lattes & capucinos, if you're so inclined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
it's really hard to beat the combination of a Baratza Encore grinder and a Bonavita 8-cup drip machine .

I have been using this exact setup for several years. For relatively low cost I make a cup of coffee as good as any local shops.
Quote Reply

Prev Next