Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cody Beals Youtube
Quote | Reply
Just watched Cody Beal's new Youtube channel and I thought it was hysterical. Appreciate the honesty and the gentle digs at other pro's channels.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Youtube [Longrunhome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up, looking fwd to watching it:) Was hoping Cody would get into the youtube game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m really disappointed that he didn’t give a coupon code for the ropeless jump rope.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An absolute roasting of Eric Lagerstrom's channel. Good to see a guy stir the pot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stumbled on this channel and thought it was brilliant! I watch a few tri channels including Eric's, Lionel's and Heather Jackson. Cody's is just a refreshing change - not to say the other channels are rubbish, his just takes a different approach. I will be looking out for more publications for sure.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Youtube [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I’m really disappointed that he didn’t give a coupon code for the ropeless jump rope.

do they have a cadence sensor ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just watched a couple on the trainer this morning - good stuff. I like the fact that he's being honest (as he always is) about his feelings about sponsors and products. I look forward to more from him.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Youtube [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
An absolute roasting of Eric Lagerstrom's channel. Good to see a guy stir the pot.

Thanks for all the feedback! Just wanted to set the record straight. My attempt at humor wasn't a malicious or specific jab at Eric's channel. I'm a fan of his and Paula's. No one does the weekly athlete vlog style as captivatingly as Eric. Their success was part of my inspiration to take a crack at YouTube.

Since there are already some great triathlon vlogs, I'm trying a different tack. I know there's an appetite for athlete content with more humor, opinion and edge. This is new for me and it's definitely pushing my comfort zone. I'm looking at YouTube mostly as a personal development exercise in getting more comfy on camera and being less of a people pleaser and perfectionist. Not so much a business venture.

I'm also not here to neg on other pros. Reflecting on the first few videos and comments, I feel bad that that came across strongest to some. I have lots of content planned including collabs with other pros I respect (hopefully Eric & Paula some day). Let me know if there's anything you want to see!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Last edited by: Cody Beals: Mar 3, 21 8:34
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Youtube [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
bretzky wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback! Just wanted to set the record straight. My attempt at humor wasn't a malicious or specific jab at Eric's channel. I'm a fan of his and Paula's. No one does the weekly athlete vlog style as captivatingly as Eric. Their success was part of my inspiration to take a crack at YouTube.

Since there are already some great triathlon vlogs, I'm trying a different tack. I know there's an appetite for athlete content with more humor, opinion and edge. This is new for me and it's definitely pushing my comfort zone. I'm looking at YouTube mostly as a personal development exercise in getting more on camera and being less of a people pleaser and perfectionist. Not so much a business venture.

I'm also not here to neg on other pros. Reflecting on the first few videos and comments, I feel bad that that came across strongest to some. I have lots of content planned including collabs with other pros I respect (hopefully Eric & Paula some day). Let me know if there's anything you want to see!

I watched all of them, and I didn't take it as anything malicious at all. just you being you, and I thought they were great.

We need to start an ST drywall fund for your basement....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is so darn normal, likable, and pretty funny, I might just watch more. Good luck Cody!!
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Mar 3, 21 21:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive read enough of your blogs to know these videos is totally just you being you, its awesome. That coffee thing was hilarious, i legit paused the video I was laughing so hard. Looking forward to seeing more

That fan setup you have is great, never thought of elevating the fan there...i may need to take a trip to home depot...

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count another instant fan here. Love the new perspectives, honesty, and different approach of your videos - not to mention the video & editing is top notch. Waiting impatiently for more. Keep it coming, Cody!

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love your new YouTube videos. I'll be watching your 21 hour week on the trainer video tonight during my Zwift FTP Builder session.

I don't think you need to apologize. You don't need to apologize for being yourself. You can't control how some interprets your content. Just be responsive and I think people will love it.

You're very entertaining and funny. Keep the content coming our way. I also like your discussion on triathlete vloggers shamlessly shilling product. So true!

I can't wait to see all your upcoming videos. Thanks Cody!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great content ! ...... but please consider making the videos longer.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
bretzky wrote:

Since there are already some great triathlon vlogs, I'm trying a different tack. I know there's an appetite for athlete content with more humor, opinion and edge. This is new for me and it's definitely pushing my comfort zone. I'm looking at YouTube mostly as a personal development exercise in getting more comfy on camera and being less of a people pleaser and perfectionist. Not so much a business venture.

As fans of the sport (and as bored life-restricted virus hosts), we're all dying for more material that's generally related to SBR, and specifically related to the pros that participate in it. Unlike team sports, whose teams are implicitly anchored to a particular city, the only anchor that athletes of individual sports have on their fan base (as far as I can surmise), is how their personal lives resonate with those fans. So thanks for putting it and yourself out there!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Youtube [deantrives] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deantrives wrote:

Loving all this feedback, thanks everyone!

Noted on length. I was targeting 3:00-6:00 for most videos. That's roughly the limit of my attention span for video content unless it's really something new and engaging.

Shorter length also allows me keep the quality higher. Decent quality video is unbelievably time consuming and expensive to produce. My partner handles most of the shooting and editing. I pay him a fair market rate, not even taking into account his equipment which runs well into five figures. We're working within some major schedule and budget constraints.

ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Youtube [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
As fans of the sport (and as bored life-restricted virus hosts), we're all dying for more material that's generally related to SBR, and specifically related to the pros that participate in it. Unlike team sports, whose teams are implicitly anchored to a particular city, the only anchor that athletes of individual sports have on their fan base (as far as I can surmise), is how their personal lives resonate with those fans. So thanks for putting it and yourself out there!

Thanks for this. So far this project has given me new respect for anyone putting themselves out there. I find it extremely challenging, but in a productive personal development sense. It's much easier to play it safe and keep a low profile, especially in a sport in which athletes aren't usually known for their personalities.

I felt pretty overwhelmed reading a few hundred messages (not all positive) within the first 24 hours of the channel launch. That'll have to change! I had to back off social media for a couple weeks to get centered again. This can't become a distraction from training, racing and recovering.

Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Youtube [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I watched all of them, and I didn't take it as anything malicious at all. just you being you, and I thought they were great.

But you missed the point! I get off on the grungy vibe. It's a pain cave, not a pleasure palace, haha. Besides, I'm tapped out after painstakingly restoring the rest of that 1890s house.

Besides, I recall ST going nuts the last time a "pro" triathlete set up a crowdfunding campaign...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

But you missed the point! I get off on the grungy vibe. It's a pain cave, not a pleasure palace, haha. Besides, I'm tapped out after painstakingly restoring the rest of that 1890s house.

Besides, I recall ST going nuts the last time a "pro" triathlete set up a crowdfunding campaign...

This is no longer up to you, ST has spoken. By the end of this year you'll be zwifting in 4k in a fully capable wind tunnel with sweat dripping onto marble floors

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watched them all this afternoon on the trainer. Good stuff, definitely a different take on things.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Good stuff. I liked the length. It kept me interested and wanting more.

I watched them all while on the trainer tonight. Had to call the wife in when you did your nutrition segment for the long rides.

Cake? Fries?

My man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
deantrives wrote:

Loving all this feedback, thanks everyone!

Noted on length. I was targeting 3:00-6:00 for most videos. That's roughly the limit of my attention span for video content unless it's really something new and engaging.

Shorter length also allows me keep the quality higher. Decent quality video is unbelievably time consuming and expensive to produce. My partner handles most of the shooting and editing. I pay him a fair market rate, not even taking into account his equipment which runs well into five figures. We're working within some major schedule and budget constraints.

Honestly I really appreciate the shorter videos! I'm a busy person at times and honestly I can't justify watching a 15-20min video when so much of my free time is dedicated to triathlon already.

Keep it up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
after painstakingly restoring the rest of that 1890s house.
I wouldn't mind more of this content. I loved the dark, moody wall and all the plants in the first video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did someone say drywall?
Seems it's the new "thing" for Canadian pros to do.
I know a guy who can hang a sheet or two, as well.
Brent McMahon talks, yep... drywalling, and rivalries, on this week's Fitspeek.

http://www.fitspeek.com

p.s. I am Canadian and I apologize for this post and the audio quality of the podcast. (yikes )

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff, but man, why is his pain cave so unrefined?

He's clearly got the DIY chops to improve it, and it probably wouldn't cost that much to cover up the studs with drywall , get better lighting, and get good mats and stuff. I'd def do that if I were down there for 21 hours in a single week!

It always makes me kinda sad when I see pros with worse setups than mine (ok, mine is pretty respectable, but still!)
Quote Reply

Prev Next