Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?)
Quote | Reply
Just won at Chattanooga. Hopefully he takes his slot. Bring it home with his second sub 2:50 marathon in just 6 weeks!!! Congrats:

4:20 bike, 2:48 run, 1st overall
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would assume not from what he said weeks ago...

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/feature/cody-bealss-power-file-from-mont-tremblant/
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How soon would he have to accept it?

To have a Kona slot locked up this early would be big. Given how well he performed back to back I think he could do well on the island and I think it’d be good get experience in the Kona conditions.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duh... obviously. I know he said he's not interested in Kona but I bet he changed his mind. Why else would you do another IM so soon? I'm guessing he took advantage of a weak field and secured his slot for 2019.

devashish_paul wrote:
Just won at Chattanooga. Hopefully he takes his slot. Bring it home with his second sub 2:50 marathon in just 6 weeks!!! Congrats:
4:20 bike, 2:48 run, 1st overall

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listened to him on Bob Babbit's podcast recently. He said he might consider it, but would be in no rush. He's a smart guy and another world class product of the MSC Series in Ontario. He's aware of the 'apprenticeship'; he's also said he doesn't want to go there and not be in shape to contend - so he's in no rush.
He said in 2019 he'd like to do MT and defend, and perhaps another IM - maybe Kona, maybe another.

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [steve_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully he takes the slot. I thought IM Chattanooga was the one he picked so that if he had a good race and could get the slot, he would have the option of taking it. I assume it is just a small financial outlay to take the pro spot now, so he may as well take it and has an entire year to decide if he races or not. Sucks if you are Matt Russell and Cody is waffling and takes the slot as I am certain that Matt WOULD go if the slot comes to him (I think there is only 1 pro slot per race?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would assume he took the slot, as there is no downside, as Pro’s do not have to pay for entry. He can decide next summer to do it or not :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He had an impressive day.
Nose in the wind all day long.
Great race at IMMT and today validated his efforts a few short weeks ago.
I'm not sure he has a real weakness. I think he has the horses to do some damage in Kona.
Last edited by: Raw Oyster: Sep 30, 18 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
How soon would he have to accept it?

To have a Kona slot locked up this early would be big. Given how well he performed back to back I think he could do well on the island and I think it’d be good get experience in the Kona conditions.

I think he has to accept it tomorrow, but there's always the choice of accepting it now, and then just not going later.

I have to admire his patience and sticking with his plan. Any other pro who wins their first two races at the Ironman distance would be itching to pull the trigger. His response is a modest "we'll see."
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 30, 18 18:01
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Oyster wrote:
I'm not sure he has a real weakness. I think he has the horses to do some damage in Kona.

We both agree on that....so how do we actually GET HIM TO SHOW UP AT KONA and hurt Jan and crew in 2019?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully he takes it. I imagine his sponsors really want him to. Like y’all said he can always take it and decide later.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [steve_c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OMG apprenticeship thing is dumb...Javier only did one lol...the only shots you get in life are the ones you take. He's qualified, he needs to go. Now he has a whole season to get ready.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He might not feel ready to contend in 2019. But racimg in 2019 and gaining valuable experience might be what allows him to contend thw year after!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Raw Oyster wrote:

We both agree on that....so how do we actually GET HIM TO SHOW UP AT KONA and hurt Jan and crew in 2019?

Come on Dev, nobody hurts Jan, except Jan ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am sure Cody will tell what our plans are when he is good and ready, keep an eye on his social media but of course give the guy a chance, he only crossed the finish line shortly before you posted!

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, definitely has to accept today. Saw the new system at IM Wales, where the MPro winner Matt Trautmann took his slot. FPro winner Lucy Gossage declined and it rolled to second, Camilla Pederson, who accepted.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Am sure Cody will tell what our plans are when he is good and ready, keep an eye on his social media but of course give the guy a chance, he only crossed the finish line shortly before you posted!

Hey, we're impatient around here!!!! I've been waiting around since Peter Reid won Kona in 2003. Just Aussies and Germans in between, so we need another Canuck shot at a Kona win. Lionel is our chance this year as long as he does not keep doing daily 3/4 IM events in the lead up!!!! (Damn, I turned this into another Lionel thread)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw, how was the race start without the swim? I saw somewhere that they would do like a time trial start. But how can you be sure you have won when crossing the finish when it is a time trial?

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The OMG apprenticeship thing is dumb...Javier only did one lol...the only shots you get in life are the ones you take. He's qualified, he needs to go. Now he has a whole season to get ready.

you continue to validate that you have no idea what you are talking about

kona is a terrible terrible race that should only be undertaken as a financially invested pro when you are ready to race, mentally and physically. otherwise you're just throwing money down the drain which, as a pro, you generally don't have a lot of.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Oct 1, 18 6:04
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:

Cody can sometimes be impulsive (win 2 70.3s in two weeks and try to find a third to go 3 in 3) but by and large he is a super thoughtful, planning based athlete.

No doubt he has some long term goals (70.3 worlds?) but he has a history of liking to defend titles (Ecuador, Eagleman) and racing so called 'home' races here in Canada, so I can see him doing IMMT again.

In his favor he has things like his nutrition, and training load very well understood. Both bike and run form is super efficient and he has potential to swim 1st pack.

I am sure Ventum would like to see him on the Queen K.
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m at the awards. Cody took the spot!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

kona is a terrible terrible race that should only be undertaken as a financially invested pro when you are ready to race, mentally and physically. otherwise you're just throwing money down the drain which, as a pro, you generally don't have a lot of.

Yes, but taking the "when I feel I'm ready approach" could mean never. He's qualified, so he needs to take the shot because he has no idea what could happen to him after.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Yes, but taking the "when I feel I'm ready approach" could mean never. He's qualified, so he needs to take the shot because he has no idea what could happen to him after.

Apparently he feels ready! Or at least he's leaving the option open.

He just told the crowd at IMCHOO that he's taking his 2019 slot this time.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for Cody.

Quote Reply
Re: Cody Beals Going to Kona (2019?) [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
Btw, how was the race start without the swim? I saw somewhere that they would do like a time trial start. But how can you be sure you have won when crossing the finish when it is a time trial?

Pro field started one minute a part... seeded numbers 1 to 20 there's was a random draw to decide who starts when.

Amateur field was also TT start but 2 by 2 every 5 seconds a part... as first shows to the line to start.
Quote Reply

Prev Next