Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coaches and/or coached athletes
Quote | Reply
First off, I'd like to say I'm not trying to call anyone out on something here. I'm just wondering if my perspective and expectations are off.

I took the plunge and signed up with a local, well respected coaching group. They have facilities and group rides/swims and it looks like a fabulous program. I also signed on with a coaching option. I decided to go with a coach for the first time because of a couple of reasons. My time is very limited and working with a coach should toss out any "junk" training that I would create for myself. Secondly, I'm coming back from a major injury and was looking for some guidence to keep that in perspective in my training plan. I've never had a bad injury before, and wanted a some guidence in that regard as well. Lastly, I haven't done crap since Moo 04 so it's a bit of a rebuild.

I've been disappointed thus far. It's only been two weeks, but for my first week, I received my training plan for the week at 10PM on a Tuesday night. This plan went thru the following Monday. This week, I didn't get my training plan until 10:30PM Monday night. A majority of the workouts are exactly what I've been doing which I suppose is fine. But here is where my questions/worries exist.

First, he talked about the importance of a proper bike fit. On the phone he said he would look at his schedule and we would get together Wednesday or Thursday and he'd let me know what works and touch base. I sent a follow up Wednesday afternoon on this and heard nothing back. Secondly, my saturday says, "Group Ride". No time, no distance. This group has two rides planned for Saturday. Both are very specific (very long ride for IM-WI/IM-Canada peeps), or 50K Team TT practice. I'm training for Beach2Battleship, so I could do a portion of the long ride for steady state work or the team TT for interval work with some SS after. So that's the question I sent along with the bike fit follow up on Wednesday. Nothing. So I sent a follow up email on Thursday morning asking for a reply about the Saturday ride by Thursday night so that I can get things coordinated at home for the weekend. Again, nothing in response.

Are these legit concerns? At this point I kinda feel like my schedule is being phoned in here in fire and forget mode. There are a lot of elite athletes in this group and I'm not one of them. Does that matter? I'm not looking to get my ego stroked or hand held, I'm just looking to train smarter than I think I have been.

Since this is a group of coaches, I've been told that I can email the head of this group if I have any questions or concerns. I don't want to feel like a pansy narc or anything, especially since it's only been two weeks.

Any thoughts from you folks?

Thanks!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Coaches and/or coached athletes [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you need to express your concerns and if it cannot be rectified seek a refund and withdrawal fromthe program

Simply share your experience withyhe head coach in the group and ask if this is par for the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this program run by your local cable company? Your "coaching" sounds just like the service I get from Comcast.

You have every right to be upset. Don't get me wrong, having no clue on Friday what you are going to be doing on Saturday morning has worked OK for me, but, I coach myself and I'm free ;-) If you are paying for this, you are getting ripped off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work primarily as an online/distance coach and would expect you to fire me if I treated you this way. You should contact the head coach and address these concerns, he or she may not be aware of the sub-standard service you are receiving.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely raise your concers; either with the head coach or the coach you've been interacting with. If an athlete I was coaching wasn't satisfied with the services being provided, I would want them to discuss that with me in order to solve the problem.

You are paying for a service and if that service isn't meeting your expectations or living up to its billing then you need to let the coach(es) know so the problem can be addressed. If it is not, then I would say you need to take your money elsewhere.

Good luck in getting this resolved,

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be concerned. I hope you didn't sign a contract saying you're obligated to pay for a certain number of months or pay a starters fee. I would ditch you coach and get a new one ASAP. This is why...

Earlier this year I signed up with a "big name" coaching service, expecting the name to carry with it a level of service. Moreover, the coach was someone I'd met in person and really liked. However, as I coach I was very expected. My plan was a day or two late every week, I got no explanation on why I was doing my workouts and had non existant communication. Eventually, I had two weeks in a row where the plan was 3 weeks late and he was giving me about 3 hours of training to do. At that point I wrote a similar email on another forum and got a lot of suggestions to move on.

I fired my coach and hired a new one. I spent three weeks interviewing and asking questions and finally made a choice. It's been night and day. You're paying for a service. You're the boss, and if you're not satisfied you need to move on. I have so much more confidence just knowing that I'm heading in the right direction now. Never settle...

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1

if this isnt fixed, you should fire the service.

its not wierd that a lot of the workouts are similiar to what you wre already doing (there are only so many workouts in the world), but here is what is weird:
-late responses
-only getting your workouts on tuesdays when the schedule starts on tuesdays
-lack of detail on group ride

--------------------------
Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell your coach that timely and detailed communication is a deal breaker. As with any complaint, it's best not to give him an angry rant but state clearly that your expectations are to get your workouts on time, to have enough detail for you to figure out what you need to do and to get timely responses to your questions. If he can't meet these expectations then tell him you will find a new coach and ask for a refund.

Your coach may spend a lot of his time away from a computer so ask him what the best way and what the best times are to get in touch. Someone who's spent their life in athletics may not be as experienced/comfortable with technology as someone who spends all day working on a computer so email might not be their best method of communication.

As with any working relationship, you have to figure out how to best work with each other. He should have been be professional enough to get you off to a good start, and he hasn't done that, but you need to figure out if he's one of those diamonds in the rough who's worth sticking with our if you should find someone else to work with.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with everybody else here. This doesn't sound like the sort of one-to-one you're supposed to be receiving, especially when you're getting your weekly schedule so late on a Monday night. In my experience, mid-afternoon by Sunday is the absolute latest it should be coming, if one of the coaches has talked to you earlier that day or the day before.

BK
Quote Reply
Re: Coaches and/or coached athletes [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If said coach doesn't make you feel like you're the only client, he/she isn't managing their time and probably has too many clients. Move on.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply