Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coach or am I uncoachable?
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions and/or recommendations?

Had a coach many many many years ago

Didn’t work out well. Left on good terms felt it was most likely my fault. Don’t think I know what I was looking for

How do you choose a coach?

Maybe I need to be more specific with what I am looking for. Or am I being too specific?

I’m willing to learn. Heck I finally got it right with March dot com by asking for exactly what I wanted.

Instead if being politically correct. and have now been happily married for 15 years

So here goes

My perfect coach would believe in HUGE amounts of base work in level 1 and 2. For 6 months or so. I’m almost 60 and find this helps me avoid injuries.

Of the last 1040 self planned workouts have missed 9 because on injury and competed each of the other 1031

Motivation is not an issue for me.

I’m retired and have many hours to train and recover

Believe in Approx 3 months of specific strengthening such as hills. 3 months of tempo, intervals and 1 - 2 weeks taper Looking at another 70.6 with eyes POSSIBLY late 2020 or sometime in 2021

Not in a hurry. I’ll let my fitness dictate what races I’m ready for

Thank you in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Coach or am I uncoachable? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, if you believe that specifically in what is being done, then you're approaching uncoachable in that you'll likely not do what is written for you and instead go off of your gut of what is "right."

Frankly, I tend to write seasons in shorter blocks than that, because it's usually unrealistic that an athlete is only going to put one 70.3 on the calendar in a season. So therefore, we're looking at two builds/peaks in a given calendar year, with a shorter base period, and a minor recovery cycle mid-season. Strength typically before speed, but strength needn't come only from hill work. Also depends on what an athlete's prior year training has looked like, and what their specific race limiters appear to be.

Anyways.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Coach or am I uncoachable? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn’t very clear I think

I wasn’t saying only one build

Also happy to do strength with more than hills that was just an idea

I wanted to post some info and ideas. I think it’s important to believe in your workouts no matter who generates them. I wanted to spell somethings out as the coach I had before believed in track intervals starting day one and continuing all year. As well as a number of other things

For me personally I don’t think that is good for me. Maybe for all others but not for me IMO

I like a 3 week build 1 week adaptation

BUT I am willing to learn and change

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you are open minded then you are coachable. Coaching is a dialogue and not a dictatorship. I've made this comment a lot lately with the triathlon community - the "plan" only represents about 20% of actual coaching. The triathlon community, for obvious reasons, believes it is more, but that isn't where a coach will provide you the most value.

For your part, if you come to agreement with a coach on what the best approach is then commit to that approach and re-evaluate after a race.

Hope this helps and good luck with your season.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you should self coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote self coach for you. We are close in age. I've never had a coach, and I don't get nearly as regimented as you do in your first post. I've never even written out a plan. I just use up all my available work out time, by doing stuff, completely by muscle feel. Like you, I have no motivational issues. Just reading your "needs" tells me you know plenty to self coach. Heck, you're way ahead of me in spelling out how you want to work out. Also consider your goals... do you want someone to help to train to the edge of your ability, flirt with injury, and dominate your age group in all your races? Or just be healthy and finish respectably and injury free. I'm the latter, but still take home plenty of age group hardware.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Sep 7, 19 17:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on self coaching. Clearly.

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to think you have it figured out. Too figured out. I know pros who wouldn't speak so confidently about what they think is "right" for them.

Might be a self coach situation, but it sounds like you'd be better off if you forgot all the things you think you know and just trust an expert. Not sure that's in the cards though.

You say the word "believe" like it means "right." It doesn't. Believe typically means you think something is right but have no evidence. Otherwise you'd know it.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Last edited by: MrRabbit: Sep 7, 19 21:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AB, is that you? I heard you found a coach. (NFL joke) Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Coach or am I uncoachable? [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
AB, is that you? I heard you found a coach. (NFL joke) Lol

😂
Quote Reply
Re: Coach or am I uncoachable? [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
You seem to think you have it figured out. Too figured out. I know pros who wouldn't speak so confidently about what they think is "right" for them.

Might be a self coach situation, but it sounds like you'd be better off if you forgot all the things you think you know and just trust an expert. Not sure that's in the cards though.

You say the word "believe" like it means "right." It doesn't. Believe typically means you think something is right but have no evidence. Otherwise you'd know it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply

How did you learn what is right?

Do you have a coach? If yes how did you find him/her please?
Quote Reply