Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Coach leaving coaching company, what to do?
Quote | Reply
My Coach works for one of the bigger coaching companies, and recently informed me he'll be leaving the company for personal reasons. I'm really bummed, because I really like my coach. I'd appreciate advice on what to do.

I have been working with this coach for a little over a year with really great results. I returned to the sport after several years sidelined to the couch due to overuse injuries (thanks to a prior "no pain, no gain" type coach). Despite not having swam, biked, or run in years -- Coach got me back into shape for a great Ironman last season, including a significant PRs in an HIM, 5K, and 10K.....and more importantly no overuse injuries, and I've just really enjoyed the relationship. I feel like Coach "gets" me. I am learning a lot, growing as an athlete, feel like I have a good longer term plan.

My options:
1) Stick with the Coaching Company, and get assigned a new coach? The value prop according to the coaching company the coaches have a huge workout library, lots of educational content, proprietary technology... essentially that a lot of my success isn't just do the coach but the resources of the mother-ship.
2) Stick with my Coach. My understanding is my departing coach also runs a small coaching company with a handful of local athletes. I could ask Coach to continue working with me on a 1:1 basis. I'd lose the resources of the mothership, but I kind of wonder if I'd actually get more personal attention because I've heard these big companies overstretch their coaches with too many athletes. It would also be significantly more affordable, though that's not really important.
3) I've been considering trying TrainerRoad for some time. I have friends who say their plans are pretty good. But honestly, I'm not too keen on this because I do like my coaches help season mapping, formulating race plans, making adjustments for my insanely busy life, etc.

My Coach, probably just being an honorable person, suggests I give the replacement coach a shot for a month or two, and if it's not working out I can fire the big company then I could cancel with them and come back to my Departing Coach as a backup plan.

I'm kind of leaning to #2. And if for some reason that doesn't work out (workouts aren't a detailed as I want or something) I guess I'd probably revisit #1 or #3.
Last edited by: wintershade: Feb 8, 19 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Coach leaving coaching company, what to do? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least it isn't mid season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coach yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same thing happened to me when my coach left QT2. I work with the coach, not the company. Assuming there is no non-compete, what is the issue? Simply go with the the coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the coach! The way you described is what people search for years. You obviously have confidence in him, which is perhaps the single most important thing to have in a coach. Stay with him......

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why fix what ain't broke...stick with the coach!! :))))))

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Coach leaving coaching company, what to do? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I work with the coach, not the company. Assuming there is no non-compete, what is the issue? Simply go with the the coach.

This is how I feel.

I assume there is some kind of non-compete. But I'd be happy to speak with the company management and explain my decision, that it was 100% my idea, that the departing coach actually made a strong case for why I should stay with the company, etc.

I does seem like a good opportunity to self coach (I've been racing on/off for nearly 20 years, so I kind of know what I'm doing), but I don't know... I'm just really busy (busy/stressful job, newborn at home, etc.) and not financially constrained.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two follow-up questions:
-- Has anyone stuck with their coach after leaving the "big company," only to find some kind of deterioration in coach quality without the oversight of the famous head coach
-- My one reservation about current Coach is one of my longer term goals (within next 5 years) is to do Ultraman. Coach is an IM (World Champ), but never has competed in nor coached an Ultraman competitor, so I'd be the guinea pig for that. Getting an Ultraman coach now though feels a bit premature, and perhaps unnesessary. Any ultramen with advice?

All that said I do feel like we're tracking well to intermediate-long term goals (sub-3hr marathon, 4.5 watt/kg FTP, etc) and we have a good rhythm going, ran a 10K PR this weekend in fact.
Last edited by: wintershade: Feb 4, 19 14:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this an indirect way of you being dropped by your coach mid season? Did you at least get a trucker hat?

Jokes aside, what exactly is the "mother ship" providing you beyond a coach? You mentioned that it was beneficial in that you got a second coach when the first one didn't work out, but now that you've found a coach you really like, does the fact that the "mother ship" has more coaches really matter now? Do you feel that your coach was getting guidance from other coaches and can't structure your workouts on his own? Are there other benefits like access to VO2 testing, aero testing, body fat analysis, etc that you would no longer have access to?

Seems to me you stick with your current coach and save half the cost. There could be a non compete clause with the coaches exit, which is why he's advising you to stay with the company rather than asking you to stick with his private coaching business. But usually non compete clauses in these cases are just in terms of solicitation. It would be a pretty bad PR look for the coaches previous parent company to actually block customers from getting coaching where they want to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't even tell the company what you're doing. Go with option 2 and if the coach is uncomfortable because of some non-compete BS, they will tell you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non-compete agreements only work when someone is purchasing a company...people can sign them but with a decent attorney they'll get thrown out.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of those coaches who ran into this very thing, where I left another company. With a non-compete clause, and some other details "if I had remaining athletes" when I left, there were stipulations involved it that was the case, without disclosure on said contract--and out of respect for the owner, I will keep shush on here.

However, I basically emptied my roster & had NO athletes at the time of leaving (it was in what most call the off season)...I kept my end & did not ask anyone to come with me, as I had started up my own coaching company. In short, all the athletes chose to follow me on their own, in order to continue to work with me when I was "up & running" which did not take long, save for ONE athlete.

I suggest, if you have a great relationship with the coach, and have success, why would you go through the "feeling out period" and flub your way through that break in period again with someone who doesn't as you say--"get" you? Assuming of course, the coach is willing to have you come on over. Stay with the coach. My athletes did & they continued with success. That's my 2 cents. Just be honest with the coach & express your concerns or situation YOU are in--oh, and stop stressing...it's not productive for your progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach leaving coaching company, what to do? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that perspective Rocky. Much appreciated.

Your perspective makes a lot of sense. I'm not super keen on "feeling it out" with someone new right now... just as I get ready to ramp into my early season races. It would really throw me off if we weren't gelling mid-season. Then what?

I'm curious though, what, if anything, do you think changed for the athletes who ultimately returned to you... I mean, I need to have an honest conversion with my Coach about what would/wouldn't change in more detail, but just trying to get a feel from what others have experienced.
Last edited by: wintershade: Feb 4, 19 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Thanks for that perspective Rocky. Much appreciated.

Your perspective makes a lot of sense. I'm not super keen on "feeling it out" with someone new right now... just as I get ready to ramp into my early season races. It would really throw me off if we weren't gelling mid-season. Then what?

I'm curious though, what, if anything, do you think changed for the athletes who ultimately returned to you... I mean, I need to have an honest conversion with my Coach about what would/wouldn't change in more detail, but just trying to get a feel from what others have experienced.

For one, they didn't pay as much (haha), as I had to give a "cut" to the head coach. So I passed that savings on to them. I also did things how I felt they should be run. The way a business runs is also affecting how a coach does/can coach to an extent, as there may be certain restrictions as to what kind of training logs you use or equipment are *encouraged* by the business, there could be a ton of things depending on the business. I do know that it was the best thing for ME and as a result, it showed in that I became even more passionate for what I do as a coach. Running my own show, not having ever spent a dime for advertising on a full referral only business...marching to my own drum.

I don't have the level of product sponsorships on board like the old place, but I never wanted that. As an athlete, I did not like the "team gear" for that which I coached under--and without having to be loyal to any one product line or company that has a suite of products, it allows a hybridization of various companies that suit ME. So in that, I think the athletes have a limited amount of discounts through me, but can pick up many through USAT sponsors. It's not a big deal. Unless...you get a sweet deal on a certain bike or wheels. So those are about the only things that changed.

Aside from that, they continued with success & can feel the passion for coaching I have. They refer others to me. You have to have a passion for what you do in life, not hate what you do with a passion...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote this today on my FB page:

"The longer I coach the more I realize coaching is about relationships and education. I spent this morning answering questions about training nutrition; equipment choices; head posture on tri bike versus head posture during a deadlift; talked one athlete off the cliff because he was worried about missing a workout; calmed another's nerves because she was worried about a marathon that is 9 months away. The actual training plan, while very important, is a small part of what I do."

If you have a good relationship with your coach and you are progressing and performing to your expectations then stick with him.

Tommy Johnson
Sport Speed Lab
FIST fitter / Retul fitter
USA Triathlon Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People buy people. It really is as simple as that. If you like him, stick with him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for "stick with the coach"!

Coach/Athlete compatibility and trust counts for a lot. And it takes time for a coach to know what makes you tick. You do not want to start from scratch if you don't have to; That and the fact you said you;ve had great success with him so far.

Finally, it will probably be cheaper to deal with him directly!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Coach leaving coaching company, what to do? [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you remember to ask for the complimentary trucker hat before he left?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll be the contrarian.

It's the off-season, try a Trainerroad plan and see how your FTP and 5k speed develops vs. your numbers from your coach (assuming you had some metrics built into your plan). If it doesn't look good, go back to the coach, you can always claim that you didn't want to be the guy who got him into non-compete issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach leaving coaching company, what to do? [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the time frame your looking at to "self coach" and then compare numbers?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As most others have said, sticking with the coach you have built trust with is the clear winning choice here.

Regarding your question relating to your coach lacking Ultraman-specific experience, I'd say that so long as they are interested in continuous learning and are as excited about your Ultraman goals as you are, it won't be an issue. There are a handful of important distinctions between IM and UM training and race execution, but it isn't rocket science. I was the UM guinea pig for my coach and it worked out great.

Are YOU in the Zone?
http://www.discomfortzone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
I work with the coach, not the company. Assuming there is no non-compete, what is the issue? Simply go with the the coach.

This is how I feel.

I assume there is some kind of non-compete. But I'd be happy to speak with the company management and explain my decision, that it was 100% my idea, that the departing coach actually made a strong case for why I should stay with the company, etc.

I does seem like a good opportunity to self coach (I've been racing on/off for nearly 20 years, so I kind of know what I'm doing), but I don't know... I'm just really busy (busy/stressful job, newborn at home, etc.) and not financially constrained.

I used to be a personal trainer and when I left the company many of my clients chose to come with me. I did not solicit their business, one day I simply announced to them that I am leaving, the rest was up to the clients. I wouldn't talk to the company, once your contract with them expires they don't own you, you can go and spend your money wherever you want, none of their business. In a training/coaching business it is well known that the client develops the relationship/rapport with the trainer, not so much with the company or its owner. There was a non-compete and they tried to use it against me, they tried to use it against another trainer who left before me and both times a simple letter form my lawyer, who didn't charge me because it was written by a law student, did it all. As long as the coach does not solicit your business of offers you any incentives to go with him, you are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a coach that you feel "gets you" and seems like he's doing the right thing advising you to stick with the mother ship, stay with the coach.

If he left and was trying to take all his athletes with him, I'm sure the mother ship has a no compete and he'd get in trouble, and that's unethical.
If you chose to follow him, that's your objective and totally within your rights.

Just tread lightly when you move with the coach.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Coach leaving coaching company, what to do? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What's the time frame your looking at to "self coach" and then compare numbers?

Great question Brooks! What's the athlete going to do 6mo down the self coached road when they've fried themselves from a ton of intervals? Then what?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an assistant coach and Accelerate 3 is a small company with < 30 athletes under roof so a different situation from a business perspective.

In any case even if the asst coach leaves I'd be a big asshole to tell the athletes they can't go with him. Maybe a larger coaching company might not feel bad about causing a divorce from a successful pairing but to me that's unethical on the coaching business's part. Sure I get protecting margins etc but ultimately the coach/athlete relationship is important. Your coach can be the best coach ever but if you lose a year of your life every time you see an email from them that's not the coach for you. SAme thing if you're a coach & every athlete contact causes you to cringe. Send the athlete on somewhere you both will be happy.

One day Dusty will leave A3 to hang out his own shingle. He should he's an awesome coach, first person I've ever felt 100% comfy trusting my brand with. His athletes go with him, and I think they should.

As an athlete that athlete/coach relationship should be your first priority. It's tough, at least it seems tough to find a knowledgeable coach to work with where you're hitting on all cylinders almost all the time.

IMO if you like working with that coach you should let them know you want to be a part of the new gig. Your option 2 is the best option IMO, by miles (or kms if you prefer metric)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next