Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coach Recommendations for Pointy End of 70.3
Quote | Reply
Any intel would be great. Looking for some recommendations as to whom I should initiate a conversation about coaching for this season.

Desires (in order):
Someone with experience at the pointy end of the sport-ie potentially bridging AG to BOP Pro in a few seasons
Reasonable cost-as in, I'm just out of school and have some student loans still
Understanding of me working 40 hrs week and coaching high school mtb
Bonus: I live at 6k elevation, comfortable translating that to sea-level for racing

History: F18-24 looking at 4:50-55 this season depending on the course. Done 3 halves in past two seasons. A race is 70.3 Worlds. Decent cyclist who has never been able to maximize bike split, terrible swimmer, run is making steady gains with increased mileage. Overall consistent and not injury-prone, not a great communicator. Generally love racing.

Thanks!
Last edited by: fate: Apr 16, 19 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Coach Recommendations for Pointy End of 70.3 [fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check your inbox, I sent you a DM.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fate wrote:
not a great communicator

I deeply appreciate that 1) you know this 2) that you admit this.

Why do you believe that is?

How does it manifest?

And if you are interested in learning a great deal about this process would curiosity and questions that you want answered help you break this down?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should go about contacting athletes who have made that jump. Talk to people who you feel are similar in ability level, background, personality, and time availability and see who coached them then reach out to those coaches.

Full disclosure, I'm a coach of several people like yourself, but by posting this you've opened yourself up to getting a slew of people messaging you trying to convince you to pay them. Find similar athletes w/ success stories and follow their lead.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach Recommendations for Pointy End of 70.3 [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel Sanders

"Those who can't do - coach"

haha I had to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Steve Johnson (Dark Horse Tri) as he has a very strong group of pointy end age groupers including the OA female winner at Oceanside who just posted her race report on here. He also has a knack for making his female athletes very strong on the bike so might be a good fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Brian Stover (desert dude on this forum) may meet your criteria.

https://accelerate3.com/about/

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Angela Naeth https://www.iracelikeagirl.com/ You want the pointy end?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
You should go about contacting athletes who have made that jump. Talk to people who you feel are similar in ability level, background, personality, and time availability and see who coached them then reach out to those coaches.

Full disclosure, I'm a coach of several people like yourself, but by posting this you've opened yourself up to getting a slew of people messaging you trying to convince you to pay them. Find similar athletes w/ success stories and follow their lead.
I like this approach but I'm going to be biased here. I'll let you message me if you want to have a talk with my coach but both my wife and I are very similar to you and have had good success with similar goals to you.

We both come from running backgrounds and while I have some swimming my wife had none. No biking background until we started triathlon 2 years ago. After about 5 months of being with our coach, we both raced our first 70.3 at Raleigh in 2017 at 24 years old. I got my worlds slot, she missed by 1 spot. Texas 70.3 in 2018 I went 4:08:29 and she went 4:52:03, both improving on our previous times by 30+ minutes. At that point we both established the goal of going pro and I got that at Indian Wells 70.3 in December with a 4:03:24 and my wife was 6th amateur with a 4:46:56.

Our coach is great, very flexible with our training but unwavering when he knows whats best for us. Has really developed our bikes into our strengths despite being new to it. Perhaps most impressive is that despite the much decreased running miles compared to pure running, my wife PR'd in the 5k from her high school/college days off purely 70.3 training. Something is definitely working here. If you'd like to get in touch with him just send me a private message. He is based out of Philly but has always coached us remotely. We've met up with him a few times and even came to our wedding!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Coach Recommendations for Pointy End of 70.3 [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:

i would agree with this completely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tower26 (https://www.tower26.com/coaches/) Gerry for the swimming and Jim for the running/cycling/tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tower26 (https://www.tower26.com/coaches/) Gerry for the swimming and Jim for the running/cycling/tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you need a hands on swim coach. Swim coaching is hard to do remotely. Find someone in your area. If not, then you need a coach who is really good at coaching swimming remotely. This should be a top priority. Sorry no suggestions on who that would be.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach Recommendations for Pointy End of 70.3 [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
peace242000 wrote:

i would agree with this completely.

Agreed with the above. This is how I get almost 100% of my athletes.

I personally know three of the coaches who have posted or commented. And I think they all know their stuff.
It's hard to say which of them is the "best". It really comes down to who is the easiest to communicate with, and who has training ideas that you believe in.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach Recommendations for Pointy End of 70.3 [MOPinCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOPinCO wrote:
Check out Steve Johnson (Dark Horse Tri) as he has a very strong group of pointy end age groupers including the OA female winner at Oceanside who just posted her race report on here. He also has a knack for making his female athletes very strong on the bike so might be a good fit.

I trained with Steve Johnson (DarkHorseTri) for about five years and think that he is pretty amazing as a coach.

Definitely worth looking at.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply