Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clothing for warm weather racing
Quote | Reply
Hi,
im going to do another warm and humid IM 70.3 race in Asia this spring and was researching some heat coping strategies/tactics.

One idea i had was to switch the dark long sleeved one-piece tri-suit into a two-pice, the benefit of this would be that i could run in a lighter run singlet, but i'm not sure if its worth it.

As i was wondering about this, Frodo mentioned in some pre Kona interview that hi's team actually picked a slighter darker color on his suit.
They had done some research and a darker color was actually warmer in the sun but provided better evaporation of sweat and therefor when you
sum it up, would be cooler in Kona conditions, they concluded.

So that leaves me with a few questions i was hoping some smart minds here at Slowtwitch could comment on.

1) Anyone know if there is any research on the dark/light clothing that takes into account sweat evaporation in hot humid conditions, or experience?
2) Would a singlet be cooler in a hot and humid condition over the long sleeved aerosuit with zip down to legal limit?

My own thoughts;
I don't think i will loose much time taking on a bike top in T1 since i would still have to take on the tucked/folded aerosuit. Normally i leave my aerosuit up over the shoulders but the plan this year was to fold it in under, i actually think it hinders my shoulder movements so i want to try to swim with only the swimskin over my shoulders this year.

Im a little bit concerned about loosing aero streamline on the bike with a two piece. However Roka has it's top suit model now available it a two piece long sleeve and i was thinking about perhaps a Drag2Zero bike top they seem very aero with shielded pocket s and skin tight fits.

Im also aware i will loose time in T2, but im thinking in the realms of 5-15sec here and if i ran run just slightly more comfortable/cooler it would be worth it.

Finally im sure all you tri nerds out there will swear on the tri-suit being the top garment to wear, but is it only to save transition time?
You don't see a single top runner running in a long sleeved shirt. Look at any marathon around the world, hot or cold you always see them running in light, loose singlets.

A penny for your thoughts, thnx!

Quote Reply
Re: Clothing for warm weather racing [Pesven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pesven wrote:
Hi,
im going to do another warm and humid IM 70.3 race in Asia this spring and was researching some heat coping strategies/tactics.

One idea i had was to switch the dark long sleeved one-piece tri-suit into a two-pice, the benefit of this would be that i could run in a lighter run singlet, but i'm not sure if its worth it.

As i was wondering about this, Frodo mentioned in some pre Kona interview that hi's team actually picked a slighter darker color on his suit.
They had done some research and a darker color was actually warmer in the sun but provided better evaporation of sweat and therefor when you
sum it up, would be cooler in Kona conditions, they concluded.

So that leaves me with a few questions i was hoping some smart minds here at Slowtwitch could comment on.

1) Anyone know if there is any research on the dark/light clothing that takes into account sweat evaporation in hot humid conditions, or experience?
2) Would a singlet be cooler in a hot and humid condition over the long sleeved aerosuit with zip down to legal limit?

My own thoughts;
I don't think i will loose much time taking on a bike top in T1 since i would still have to take on the tucked/folded aerosuit. Normally i leave my aerosuit up over the shoulders but the plan this year was to fold it in under, i actually think it hinders my shoulder movements so i want to try to swim with only the swimskin over my shoulders this year.

Im a little bit concerned about loosing aero streamline on the bike with a two piece. However Roka has it's top suit model now available it a two piece long sleeve and i was thinking about perhaps a Drag2Zero bike top they seem very aero with shielded pocket s and skin tight fits.

Im also aware i will loose time in T2, but im thinking in the realms of 5-15sec here and if i ran run just slightly more comfortable/cooler it would be worth it.

Finally im sure all you tri nerds out there will swear on the tri-suit being the top garment to wear, but is it only to save transition time?
You don't see a single top runner running in a long sleeved shirt. Look at any marathon around the world, hot or cold you always see them running in light, loose singlets.

A penny for your thoughts, thnx!

Your fastest and coolest cloth is probably a one piece suit with cooling fabric that goes to the elbows.

I had a Zoot suit with Carbon that cooled really well in the heat.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply