Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Closed back pads and hard bumps
Quote | Reply
Hi,

IĀ“m looking into closed back pads or a custom made system (with open or closed back). Does anyone have enough experience with them to tell me what happens when you hit bumps at speed? Because sometimes when I ride my TT I hit some bumps hard enough to give my elbows some airtime.
I'd love to have the extra security and positional fix that those kind of pads could give me, but I'm a little bit worried what happens when I have lift-off. Do you land on the vertical part of the pads? Don't you get lift-off because you're locked in completely? Or is it something else?

PS: I do ride with quite some tilt (at least 20deg pad angle) and a lot of reach (elbows in front of chin?).
Quote Reply
Re: Closed back pads and hard bumps [SkippiTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m currently running the TriRig closed back scoops at about 12 degrees of tilt. My elbows are relatively forward with an angle generally more than 90 degrees.

On the notoriously bumpy Powerman Arizona course just over a week ago I did find myself wanting to occasionally move my elbows back to ā€œbraceā€ myself against some of the bumps and cracks. The backs of the scoops did prevent this, but it turned out to be a non-issue as long as I kept the right balance of having a relaxed upper body while having the ability to lock myself in by using the extensions and extra area of the pad. If I had been able to move my elbows back further then it likely would have caused my head and torso to pop up further just to ā€œfeelā€ more secure. In reality I think it just takes an adjustment in how you control the bike as you should still have plenty of leverage to keep your elbows in place. You could always move some of the padding back to cover that lip though if it does become an issue.

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Closed back pads and hard bumps [SkippiTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to overload with TriRig pros, but as I've been using closed back scoops for a few months now I'll chime in. I wouldn't say I've ever been concerned with airtime on bumps, but something like the scoops actually provides a hidden solution for this if you want to use it. Like many of us, I'll shift my elbow position back and forth a bit while training and racing, just small amounts to what is the most comfortable at the time. Because the Scoops have so much backward adjustment (mounting hole wise), it's possible to just set them back a bit further than you normally would for small cups. This way, your ideal/neutral position might actually have your elbows placed slightly forward from the true 'scoopy' part of it if you will. For me, this allows me to still shift back and forth when I get antsy, but for you it would also mean your elbows would have to travel quite far during the airtime to end up landing on the closed back part. Depending on the closed back cup you're using, it may not be so much of a vertical wall, but more of a shallow curve, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you landed on it anyways.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply