Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clingmans dome - gatlinburg, tn
Quote | Reply
Question for those familiar with gatlinburg, tn?

I know traffic is awful going up clingmans dome in the summer but is it safe enough to bike up if i leave at the crack of dawn?
Quote Reply
Re: Clingmans dome - gatlinburg, tn [Bob S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't have clear roads ever. People go up to hike EARLY.

It's doable during the week, but I wouldn't do it on the weekend.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode it in mid September a few years ago and the traffic wasn't bad at all. I rode on a Friday morning and passed by the visitor station starting the ascent portion of my ride around 7:30.
Quote Reply
Re: Clingmans dome - gatlinburg, tn [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be in Pigeon Forge the week of August 10th and planning to make the climb up to Clingman's Dome while I am there. I appreciate the tip on going on a weekday, likely would have been during the week anyway.

I'm going to be taking my road bike, I've got a 39 on the front but not sure what I have on the back at this point. I will have to check (road bike doesn't get much love during tri season). I don't really want to have to pick up a new cassette for this ride. Would a 25 or 26 be enough. I am about 3.75W/KG these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Clingmans dome - gatlinburg, tn [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say that'll get you up. Depending on how good of climber you are it (most likely) won't be comfortable though.

If you're in the area to climb... Bluff Mountain, Butterfly Gap, "The Wall" and Foothills parkway are all good places to test yourself.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it with a friend a few years back on Labor Day- from Cherokee and back. If I remember gearing was 39x25 (on a titanflex set up w a steep STA) and I was fine. There was traffic, but I don't remember it as being that bad/scary. The trip back down was a lot of fun!!
Quote Reply
Re: Clingmans dome - gatlinburg, tn [reutebh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reutebh wrote:
I did it with a friend a few years back on Labor Day- from Cherokee and back. If I remember gearing was 39x25 (on a titanflex set up w a steep STA) and I was fine. There was traffic, but I don't remember it as being that bad/scary. The trip back down was a lot of fun!!

Same here. Did the ride from Cherokee on a Sunday morning. Granted it was May and likely "pre-season" for a lot of the vacation traffic. Roads were in excellent shape. The climb was way easier than expected, mostly because the pitch was never that steep. I would describe traffic as light to regular (regular being having cars/motorcycles regularly passing), but not heavy, even on the 7 mile spur coming off US441.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply