Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clinchers - Vittoria Evo CX v's Michelin Pro Race (700 x 23C)
Quote | Reply
I've run Michelin Axial Pro's at my last two IM's with no problems at all but it's time for some new tyres so I'm debating between Vittoria Evo CX (replacement for the Open Corsa CXs) & Michelin Pro Race.

I've been reading that the higher a TPI of a tyre the less chance of a puncture given that the Evo CX has a TPI of 290 as opposed to the Pro Races TPI of 127, so my obvious choice would be a Evo CX. But I am concerned that the Evo CX may not have as good a rolling resistance as the Pro Race, that said they do have similar PSI ratings and weights.

Any comments would be appreciated. Perhaps I would be better of with some Tubulars!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Clinchers - Vittoria Evo CX v's Michelin Pro Race (700 x 23C) [GH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run the Vittorias and my wife runs the Michelins

Michelin: Sizes/Weights:

650x23c 200g. (gray/black only)
700x20c 200g.
700x23c 220g.
700x25c 240g. (gray/black only)

PSI 118 max

Vittoria
Sizes: 19-622
700x19c 210g 145 psi
23-622
700x23c 230g 145 psi
20-571
650x20c 200g 145psi

I personally like the vittorias as they feel very much like a tublular [to me anyways]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Clinchers - Vittoria Evo CX v's Michelin Pro Race (700 x 23C) [GH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the technology used by Michelin and Vittoria is different, you can't compare the TPI - Michelin makes very good and puncture resistent tires with a low TPI. I'm very satisfied with my Michelin Pro - but haven't tried the Vittoria Evo CX.
Quote Reply
Re: Clinchers - Vittoria Evo CX v's Michelin Pro Race (700 x 23C) [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I run the Vittorias and my wife runs the Michelins

I personally like the vittorias as they feel very much like a tublular [to me anyways]
From a tub virgin, what does a tubular "feel" like compared to a clincher?

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights"
Quote Reply
Re: Clinchers - Vittoria Evo CX v's Michelin Pro Race (700 x 23C) [Fizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boy thats hard to quantify

I feel it's the ride quality, tubulars corner like nothing else [due to their round profile] and have this lively ride. Most clinchers I have ridden feel dead by comparison. The Vittorias that I currently run come the closest to having that live sew up feel. that said repairing flat sew ups is a royal pain in the butt and can not be done in the field. I used to carry two spares = two flats and you are walking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Clinchers - Vittoria Evo CX v's Michelin Pro Race (700 x 23C) [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't ridden the new Vittoria EVO series yet. I just switched to Michelin Pro Race on all my clincher wheels because I think they are the most comfortable clinchers I've ever ridden. I was a devout Conti guy for about 12 years, riding nothing but GP and GP 3000s for clinchers and Comp GPs for tubs. I haven't changed out the tubs yet, but the difference in comfort between GP 3000 and the Pro Race is remarkable enough that I ditched all my GP 3000s. Having only recently switched, I don't have any experience with the Pro Race longevity or cut/slash resistance, at least as compared to the Conti's.
Quote Reply
Re: Clinchers - Vittoria Evo CX v's Michelin Pro Race (700 x 23C) [Fizzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best comparison to tubulars vs. clinchers is the following:

Tubulars feel like every road, bump, hole, and pebble is carpeted and slightly downhill. The ride is softer, cornering is more controlled, quieter and the rolling resistance can be much much less.

I ride on Tufo tubulars with 440 tpi, their new Elite Jet, made in a clincher rim compatible base tape application as well. An awesome race tire, they are about 250 grams for the clinchers, and you don't need a tube, or rim tape to cover the spoke holes (a 100g savings!) Tubulars are only 160 grams.

My clinchers are Michelin Axial Pro Top Comfot in 700x25c.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply