Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleveland Triathlon
Quote | Reply
I'm not seeing the website anymore? Anyone kniw the deal? My 1st ever Olympic Distance. A victim of COVID? :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Cleveland Triathlon [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it thankfully has died after years of woeful mismanagement and not paying the bills.

There is a new race, new race director, new course.

It looks to be pretty good with a protected swim and much the same run as when USAT AG championships were there.

https://rockrollrun.com

This is a very welcome change with good people running it now.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleveland Triathlon [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there still an IM distance race at Cedar Point?
Quote Reply
Re: Cleveland Triathlon [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
long gone
Quote Reply
Re: Cleveland Triathlon [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
No, it thankfully has died after years of woeful mismanagement and not paying the bills.

There is a new race, new race director, new course.

It looks to be pretty good with a protected swim and much the same run as when USAT AG championships were there.

https://rockrollrun.com

This is a very welcome change with good people running it now.

Agree... the past 3 or 4 years the race declined significantly. Used to be a big time race with a pro field, etc.. (Chris McCormack a prior winner) and in 2019 they were reduced to a disastrously mismeasured course, low participation, timing issues etc... I believe the 5k was close to 4 miles... Wasn't USAT sanctioned in 2019 and when I asked about it I was lectured about USAT stealing their business with Nats being in Cleveland at that time.

That being said... great to see HFP and Shannon K involved and looks like a whole new date and format... thanks for the info this is great news. I do lots HFP races and always 1st class.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleveland Triathlon [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a little-known fact outside of NE Ohio and die-hard triathlon fans that Cleveland hosted the ITU World Championship in 1996. It's hard to imagine the Grand Final coming to Cleveland today.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleveland Triathlon [TheMan232] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How's the water there these days? I remember doing the Old National City Bank Tri (later Rock$Roll) in the late 1990s when I was a student in Cleveland. Was never very thrilled about jumping in the water downtown, but overall it was a pretty good course (the run used to go around downtown), looks like the Shoreway bike is the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleveland Triathlon [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
How's the water there these days? I remember doing the Old National City Bank Tri (later Rock$Roll) in the late 1990s when I was a student in Cleveland. Was never very thrilled about jumping in the water downtown, but overall it was a pretty good course (the run used to go around downtown), looks like the Shoreway bike is the same.

Heck when I grew up in Cleveland my mom would make me change my clothes in the basement after a swim in the lake (Edgewater Park) due to the smell. Did a race in Lake Erie a few years ago and couldn’t believe how nice the water was.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleveland Triathlon [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:

Heck when I grew up in Cleveland my mom would make me change my clothes in the basement after a swim in the lake (Edgewater Park) due to the smell. Did a race in Lake Erie a few years ago and couldn’t believe how nice the water was.

The week of Nats in both 2018 and 2019 there was a storm and they had to release raw sewage (sh#t and p#ss) into the water near Edgewater Beach a few days before the race. Luckily it cleared up before the race per the local health officials. Other than that water is fine. I raced both years and didn't have a problem.

Don't think they had this issue for many years prior or since... just the week before Nats two years in a row.
Quote Reply