Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set?
Quote | Reply
Mundane subject of the day: I've seen all kinds of recommendations about cleat position. Everything from 1st MTP joint over the pedal axle, to average of 1st & 5th MTP joint over the axle, to all the way back on the shoe slots, to mid-foot. At this point, my shoes demonstrate a variety of cleat position ideas.

Today, I'm changing cleats, so I thought I would ask what people are doing / recommending. Where do you have your cleats positioned? Does it work for you?
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Oct 24, 19 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since late July I've had my as slammed back as possible with my shoes, which as I understand it really isn't that far because most shoes don't accommodate too far back without modding. I think it took me probably a month to adjust to it though I didn't think there was an adjustment period until I had some unexplained problems at Boulder 70.3 which was less than two weeks after I adjusted them back. A month after that at Santa Cruz and no issues at all. Feels better even. Ran better off the bike than I ever have (also some fitness gains though so not attributing everything to the cleats). If you're heading into off season I'd slam back. Seems like most of the expert opinions are in favor of that and it's realistically not going to hurt anything.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you a triathlete? All the way back...

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote an article many many moons ago (pre-Slowtwitch I believe) suggestion 1/3 of the way back on the shoe. I have ridden that way ever since and it has worked well.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always had trouble with a bone spur from an old broken toe, and proper cleat position (as recommended by my fitter) aggravated the hell out of it. So I slammed the cleat back all the way, and problem solved. To make things even, I did it on both sides. I had no idea I was way ahead of my time, as now it becoming the thing to do.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Oct 24, 19 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone use the speedplay cleat adapter to go further back?

I just ordered it and will test it out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Middle of 1st. (traditional road placement). Briefly tried moving them to midfoot (speedplay adapter), but found my power wasn’t as good (didn’t give it much adaptation time though).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I was recovering from Achilles issues, I started experimenting with mid-foot cleats. 1st with the Speedplay adjustment plate and now custom drill shoes for a true mid-foot placement. Changed to MTB style SPD pedals/cleats with the simpler 2 bolt pattern. Works great! Wish that I had done it years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Mundane subject of the day: I've seen all kinds of recommendations about cleat position. Everything from 1st MTP joint over the pedal axle, to average of 1st & 5th MTP joint over the axle, to all the way back on the shoe slots, to mid-foot. At this point, my shoes demonstrate a variety of cleat position ideas.

Today, I'm changing cleats, so I thought I would ask what people are doing / recommending. Where do you have your cleats positioned? Does it work for you?

Here is an excellent article by a very smart man. Enjoy.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...edal-cleat-position/
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, very excellent article. Thank you. So, why then isn't there a HUGE movement amongst triathletes toward a mid-foot cleat position?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So, why then isn't there a HUGE movement amongst triathletes toward a mid-foot cleat position?

I think there is a movement.

You have to watch for toe overlap with front wheel, but in most Tri’s you aren’t making too many turns and if you are they are low speed 180’s - so you aren’t needing to pedal through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the way back

If you’re changing though be very careful. Either do very short rides to start to adapt or move back slowly
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are almost as far back as the shoes will allow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midfoot / under my arch

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about on a road bike? For triathlon if it makes a difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not on the road, no

Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Position: Where do you have your cleats set? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another good reason to use shorter cranks: less toe overlap since the crank does not extend as far forward.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply