Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleat Hardware?
Quote | Reply
I have new cycling shoes. I have a set of new Look Keo cleats ... but I have no hardware. I've searched online, and specifically, the screws and rounded-rectangle shim/washers don't seem to be sold separately. Went to lbs, and they told me they didn't have any hardware either. Just what was sold with the cleats themselves.

My existing shoes' hardware will be lost with the shoes when I can resolve this ... meaning that the screws are so rusted, I cannot remove them from the shoe to measure.

So, does anyone know the screw dimension sizing? I may just be able to order from McMaster or Grainger. Was hoping that I could possibly order the washers from there too.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Hardware? [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't answer your specific question but if I were in your situation, I'd either buy a new set of Look cleats (you're going to need them at some point anyways) and use that hardware or buy some cheap knockoff cleats off Amazon (around $10) and have the hardware tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Hardware? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I can't answer your specific question but if I were in your situation, I'd either buy a new set of Look cleats (you're going to need them at some point anyways) and use that hardware or buy some cheap knockoff cleats off Amazon (around $10) and have the hardware tomorrow.

This is also what I'd say.

I always put a dab of grease / copperslip on the threads too to help get them back out at the end of the.cleat's life.

For knock-off ones, Wiggle do some of their own 'lifeline' brand ones for half the price of genuine Look cleats at the 'standard' 4 degree float.(just a different colour to the Look ones).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right - tough to source.
I could get you a bolt size in a bit.

I was trying to find the T-nuts for the shoes.

I've got plenty of hardware in the shop (buckles, 8-32 SS etc) but nothing for cycling cleats.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Standard Keo bolts are M5 x (I think...) 11mm. Rectangular washers are going to be a lot harder to find.

You can get a complete replacement set here. Might also be worth checking with your bike fitter (if you have one). Fitters tend to have a pretty good collection of cleat parts.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At one time I think I had 20 sets of hardware.

Since I cleaned up I may only have 5 sets now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just buy a new set of cleats that has the hardware. They come with hardware. Sooner or later you'll be replacing the cleats anyway, so just get a new set now, and use the hardware that comes with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Hardware? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
silly that the LBS can't rustle up some hardware for you, there is always a jar of hardware on the bench. Handing out a couple of screws and washers is just common and decent customer service.

I can easily mail you some!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Hardware? [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northwave has t-nuts available as spare parts - Hawley/Lambert carries Northwave so any shop with that account can order.
Specialzed, Giro and Bont have tnut replacement kits available

Specialized has a very specific t-nut shape for SWorks 6 and Sub^: so best to check what kind of nut you have!
Also note that some are Ti, so anti-seize compound is recommended instead of grease. The new Rapha shoes are a prime example.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Hardware? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the rectangular washers, in the past I've just got round washers from a hardware store and used an angle grinder or dremel to cut the washers to shape. The bolts themselves I've also sourced from a hardware store - there's nothing special about them that they need to be purchased from the pedal manufacturer - just need to match the thread pitch and bolt length.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleat Hardware? [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
For the rectangular washers, in the past I've just got round washers from a hardware store and used an angle grinder or dremel to cut the washers to shape.

This^ I've done it a few times. Takes five minutes. Quicker than a trip to the LBS. Works just fine.
Quote Reply