Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner
Quote | Reply
Three years ago, I watched Shane Miller's tutorial:

He was cleaning his chain and cassette with an ultrasonic cleaner and I loved the results. I got one and have been using it since on a small fleet of five bikes.

What seemed like a complicated, multi-step process became a breeze. So I want to share a quick tutorial with pics on how to do it:

How to clean a chain with an ultrasonic cleaner.

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner and have any additional tips, please comment. Does it worth the investment? For me, it does, since I use it on five bikes and before each race. For occasional use and on the budget, towel and degreaser works fine. @gplama do you still use your original ultrasonic cleaner?
Last edited by: Vilen: Aug 16, 19 10:22
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner [Vilen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind off topic, but I couldn't resist -

I actually watched those videos over a year ago, and was inspired to get my own US cleaner to clean my lubed chains and parts. Worked fine, even with a cheaper unit, I did have to use degreaser solution in the unit, and my not-new parts weren't exactly sparkling when they came out but the black stuff was definitely OFF. Got seriously annoyed though when the black stuff was right back in force for chain tattoos on the very next short ride, which is the normal deal for lubes.

I then watched some videos on WAXING your chain, and it seemed too good to be true - super clean, you can even manhandle your chain with no chain tattoo! I got the small crockpot and a block of cheap paraffin wax, and found all those claims were true, and it's actually even easier to rewax your chain (which cleans it as well) vs recleaning a lubed chain off the bike like you're supposed to. And it tests fast (by the stuff I've seen online)

The only small drawbacks I've noticed is that the longevity is shorter than wet lubes (but still totally adequate) and it might not protect your metal as well as wet lube in wet conditions (from rust).

Any reason you're not going to waxed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my question on this, as I want to do this: How do I also get all the grease off my chainrings and from my rear derailleur so that I am not all gunked up again 2 miles down the road?
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even though this is a bit of topic, but now you've got me thinking about trying out to wax the chain. I'll have to do some digging and research. If it works out well, I might even do a write up too.

Thanks fo the insight, @lightheir!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the old ST thread - I actually did a very same post about waxing around that time, and there have been quite a few good ones since.

I seem to recall you have a nice bike and take good care of your stuff - you would be the perfect candidate for waxing, and I think you will absolutely LOVE it. (I'd recommend regular lube for folks who don't care about maintaining their bike other than minimally and never care about cleaning the chain.)

Going to waxing has been
- cheaper (I'm still using the exact same wax block I bought in the first place well over a year ago!)
- easier (at least compared to the true equivalent, which is removing a lubed chain for off-the bike deep degreasing)
- And most importantly SOOOOOO much cleaner (!!) No more chain tattoos ruining your pricey cycling/trigear, and no messes when you flat on the road or drop a chain and have to touch it. You literally cannot even compare the two after riding more than 5mins on the roads. And the wax continues to self-clean as it flakes off!
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 16, 19 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a cheap firm bristle toothbrush and scrub them while the chain and cassette are running in the ultra comic cleaner and/or are drying.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
(I'd recommend regular lube for folks who don't care about maintaining their bike other than minimally and never care about cleaning the chain.)

Funny, I switched to waxing chains last year in part because I'm too lazy to clean my drivetrains. (With waxing there's no need.)
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
lightheir wrote:
(I'd recommend regular lube for folks who don't care about maintaining their bike other than minimally and never care about cleaning the chain.)

Funny, I switched to waxing chains last year in part because I'm too lazy to clean my drivetrains. (With waxing there's no need.)

Hah yes true! No need for the sucky chain-tool for lube (which works terribly no matter what I do, at least compared to wax!) or ultrasonic cleaners and hard-to-dispose of solvents which make a mess.

Just dunk it in wax, swish it around, and remount. Life is good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff... I do the same with my drivetrain... clean with an ultrasonic/degreaser and I also wax. A tip is to keep an eye out for a 25% coupon from Harbor Freight, knocks a little off of the ultrasonic purchase.

One thing I've added to my process is the Wippermann chain link. You can remove it by hand, also comes in handy for shipping my bike as I like to take my chain off so it's not dangling, no need to pack my link pliers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a good video. I use the gasoline-container cleaning method once every month or so to get the chain super-clean. SimpleGreen after a ride and Squirt Wax. Works awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/...eOxbnzDQA&t=449s
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started waxing my chains a few months ago. I have two bike and rotate three chains. Easy and clean, cannot imagine going back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to know what size for the monster 50t MTB cassettes.
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is 2.5L version Tank Size: 9. 84" (L) x 5. 90" (W) x 3. 15" (H), but there are bigger 3L and even 10L available on Amazon. I think the 3L would fit, 2.5L maybe.

https://www.amazon.com/...amp;ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll never go back. I do ultrasonic and wax. I preboil my ultrasonic water to make it go faster. Heater is too slow.

1000 miles no lube and no grease stains on clothes or the house.

Watts gained is a bonus be damned that’s worth it enough to have less mess!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vilen wrote:
@gplama do you still use your original ultrasonic cleaner?

Yep! Does anyone know if it works on babies? ;)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cleaning chains with an ultrasonic cleaner [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerosol engine degreaser and a brush, rinse w hot water. Keep it away from disc brakes
Quote Reply