Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Classic tri photos, old and new..
Quote | Reply
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=iom8u8

These old duathlon threads got me to dig this one up, and I think it would be fun to see others in your personal archives out there.

This was me and Tom Gallagher at one of the Coors biathlons. We viewed biathlons as a fun diversion from our professional triathlon duties, so Toms attempt at fashion here is a mock on Kenny Souza and Kim Bushong. Most of you don't know who Kim was, but he was my first training buddy in the late 70's, early 80's. He just ran and swam with me and wasn't into triathlons, but at the last minute decided to go to Hawaii with me and race. His only problem was that he had not run a step in his life, so he crammed a couple 10 milers in before the race. The 2 of us led the race for about 5 hours, I had my first DNF, and he went on to get 8th I think. ANyway, he sported a full leopard skinsuit at the next Ironman and led Dave Scott and Scott Tinley off the bike by about 10 minutes. Unheard of in those days. They of course ran him down, but I'll never forget that leopard spotted skinsuit. And now neither will you all, Tom got it form Kim, (2 sizes too small) and wore it here, along with one of Souzas thong Bikinis(also 2 sizes too small). It just so happened that we wound up into a final 200 meter free for all sprint, and as you can see, Tom just cracked up. I think it was 3rd, 4th, or 5th place, can't remember, but it sure was a crowd pleaser...

I would love to see if anyone has the Mark Allen squatting right in road in Hawaii,with a couple miles to go, building a chocolate pyramid...

Also the mid 80's USTS in Atlanta of Tinley and Molina, sprinting downhill to a dead heat finish.....Looked like the finish of a 400 meter run...
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
Neat to see! I actually have a piece of the Bruce Dern narrated video of the 82 race with Kim Bushong wearing that leopard skin outfit. And those Nikes you both were wearing...I loved that shoe...looked cool as all get out.

Just in passing, I found the '86 race on a video to DVD transfer on e-bay a few weeks ago. Man, Dave was LEAN...and ran ridiculously fast. And the Hinshaw brothers and Mark looked like they were riding what were essentially funny bikes for 112 miles too...

Put a few more up there MM!

Best,

The other MM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I would love to see if anyone has the Mark Allen squatting right in road in Hawaii,with a couple miles to go, building a chocolate pyramid.."

I vaguely remember watching that on TV. The camera was pushed in on him and he just stopped. Camera pulled wide and he was just starting to drop his shorts as they cut away, showing just enough so you knew what was happening. Probably did more to promote that IM competitors are a crazy lot - they'd crap on themselves to win.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Great idea. I have al kinds of old photos. None scanned. This is the only one I have.

Old School Fleck - IMH, circa 1993 heading back down the hill from Hawi. Someone from Inside Triathlon snapped this one of me from one of the press vehicles as I was joking about the rain that was falling at the time - it felt like I was back home in Vancouver!

http://tinypic.com/ip5e7t.jpg

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck you are skinny. No wonder the run was your best event. I think I read 6'2" 160 once...right?

Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=ip6urt

Here is an earlier newspaper story of Rick Wells and I sprinting it out for the win in San Diego. For those that don't know Rick, I believe he went on to win the first ever world pro championship. He was a world class swimmer from NZ turned triathlete, who got drunk almost every night of his career. No one could train on a hangover like Rick......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty

What is the name of those Nike's you were wearing - I'm having a mental blank but we ran in those things for years - they were great shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that Lance in the leopard print?

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ROFL! Cool pic but geez, I wouldn't want to be seen next to a guy in a leopard suit with a thong on the outside ;). Thanks for sharing.

John
"A profoundly peaceful run; a gift to myself" Frazz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Mark,

Great idea. I have al kinds of old photos. None scanned. This is the only one I have.

Old School Fleck - IMH, circa 1993 heading back down the hill from Hawi. Someone from Inside Triathlon snapped this one of me from one of the press vehicles as I was joking about the rain that was falling at the time - it felt like I was back home in Vancouver!

[url "http://tinypic.com/ip5e7t.jpg"]http://tinypic.com/ip5e7t.jpg[/url]

Fleck[/reply]

Holy skinny-ness batman! Damn you look lean! And I love the elbows on the pads!

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Anyone ever seen this photo??

(just trying to keep this thread at the top in the hopes that someone will post more classic tri pics)
Last edited by: woyts: Dec 17, 05 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [woyts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than a pic of Julie Moss splayed out on the ground in front of the finish line, that is probably the most classic photo ever taken.....How about some of you duathletes out there, any pics of Kenny in the neon green g-string?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I have a set of those aerobars in my closet.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJ, is that you with the Fabio hair?

That one is almost funnier than the leopard skinsuit!
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=ippeth

So one of the ones I was looking for, I found in an old Triathlon magazine. It is the atlanta USTS whenr they measured the swim in feet instead of meters. The race director actually said, "They're about the same aren't they?" Unbelievable......Closest non chip timed finish of all time, even the photo could show no clear winner...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty, you kind of look like molina in that pic.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=ippi5k

I hope this comes out clear enough for you all to see ok. Here's the quiz, where and when was this race held, what was it's significance, and how many people can you name there in the front couple rows. Lots of famous people there......

By the way, how do I print these pictures as photos with my text here? Someone else did my first one for me, so it must be a no brainer. Probably why I don't know how to do it, too many tortured and murdered brain cells.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On Internet Explorer:

You must have the picture hosted on a website. Then create a post, making sure that you are using the Advanced Editor. Click on the Mountain icon above the text entry box (2nd icon from the right). Paste the link to the picture into the box you get from clicking on the Mountain icon (you can get that link by making on right click on the picture and getting its properties)

If you are Microsoftly challenged like your neighbor then you are out of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=ippro3

monty, you kind of look like molina in that pic.

It should have been me in that pic. I was so bummed that the swim was shortned. I still got out of the water in first, but then because of the timing screw up, the gates to the park were still closed. So I had to get off my bike and runaround on the grass over 2 gates. By the time I got back on my bike, Tinley and 20 other shitty swimmers were riding past me through the just opened gates. I basically did a little Norman Stadler fit, and went to start the beer drinking. The link above is a race with Molina and I in San Diego, I guess we could be brothers. Funny thing is that we were both born on leap year, 4 years apart though. That race was the old USTS distances, 2k swim, 45k bike, and 15k run. He caught me at just over 7 miles into the run, sure wish it was 10k back then.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty,

Tom was my roomate at UCSB in 1980-82. He was a water polo player and I was swimming. I remember when Tom started training for Ironman. He started riding between Santa Barbara and his home in Long Beach. I thought he was nuts. None of knew he could run either. I can still remember his story about being in the top ten at Kona in 83 or 84 on the bike until he had to make a pit stop on the side of the road. We always wanted to get to the bathroom before Tom, he would roost forever. I think he went from #8 to something like mid 20's or something. Typical Tom. Great picture of him, he has a great sense of humor.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a cool photo.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of guessing...but are those guys wearing old Nike Mariah's? Or they might be Duelists?

Cool shoes. They don't make them like that anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Classic tri photos, old and new.. [DS Trainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Mariah was my favorite shoe, I was really bummed when they stopped them. I was sponsored by Nike for 8 years, so I had a good supply of them, but not enough for eternity. I believe that by the time of this race, it was the Dualist that was closest to the old Mariah. I wish I could find a shoe now that felt as good as those old ones did. Maybe it's just my old body, but I race in training shoes now.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next