Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Clash Daytona race day thread
Quote | Reply
meanwhile, in non-Ironman news, we have a race today!

-perez sala rather predictably has a strong swim and now leads out the bike, looking great.
-jackie hering limited the damage on the swim and is riding 2:20 back in 12th.
-sif bendix madsen riding like the clappers in 3rd, with partner magnus cheering her on

the men race in a few hours, with a pretty interesting field. keep an eye out for jack laundry, who's trying the daytona/indian wells double.

some quality live coverage here:

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos for running the show via YouTube, not any additional accounts creation on any random websites...

What surprises me though is how shallow the pro field is. Maybe it's just me remembering that big day with USD 1m prize purse a few years back.
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
Kudos for running the show via YouTube, not any additional accounts creation on any random websites...

What surprises me though is how shallow the pro field is. Maybe it's just me remembering that big day with USD 1m prize purse a few years back.

yeah, for sure. more firepower in the men's race, for what it's worth!

Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

In a small show by Ironman of not wanting to totally abandon having pro fields, they upped the purse for Indian Wells last year (and this) to match Daytona. I think they knew that if they kept it at $30k with Daytona on the same weekend, no one would be there. Would be fun to have these fields combined, but better to have a few options for a late season pro race than none at all!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pulling for fellow Midwesterner Jackie Hering. Go Jackie!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this! When is the start of the mens race?
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow_bob wrote:
Thanks for this! When is the start of the mens race?

all details here!

https://www.tri247.com/...art-time-live-stream

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madsen and Olmo riding exactly the same speed as Sala. No idea whether they have strong runs and of course no idea how their legs will be after 15 laps down on the bars, without the option. Assume Madsen has a bit of Ditlev input (wrt TT cycling, for the avoidance of doubt). Hering at less than 4 minutes down is still looking in a strong position, wrt Sala anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not much love for Daytona on here then.
The shorter run distance didn't favour Hering: I thought she'd get the better of Derron on that last lap.
Sala ran well. Olmo ran better. Hope she gets love back for short course (as well).
Madsen in Ditlev mode from 2 years ago: quality swim, top bike but run is a holding operation (has had injuries for some of 2022 according to commentary).
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who's that new guy commenting? He's interesting to listen to; at least when he's not interrupted by that insufferable lady we always have ruining every broadcast she's on.

We know there's not much space in the run for comebacks, will be interesting to see where Hanson is after the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rider going all full suicide pace mode?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun to watch! That chainring looks huge, but he is flying out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. I think West is in a good spot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good work to Clash the leaderboard stats. It's great to see the athlete's name and +x:xx time to the leader. Instead of seeing different times at different timing mats that we can't compare.
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
Good work to Clash the leaderboard stats. It's great to see the athlete's name and +x:xx time to the leader. Instead of seeing different times at different timing mats that we can't compare.
Absolutely agree. The key is using 'time deficit' not actual time elapsed, and specifying which mat as well as time behind leader. That way the viewer can track movement (gains/losses) easily. Helps that the mats are so frequent which can only be practical on a closed short distance lap. PTO and IM: please take note: excellent maybe even 'best' practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Not much love for Daytona on here then...

haha, you expect ST to react to actual triathlon racing when instead we can create multiple threads and thousands of posts saying basically the same thing about IM moving away from kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
West and Pereira are flying, so fast, enough real estate?
Quote Reply
Re: Clash Daytona race day thread [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Luis is closing in on Bishop. Looks like its turning out to be a very close finish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luis catching Bishop while West/Pereira catching Luis. Should an exciting second part of the run. Hanson too far for anything better than 5th place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The battle between 3/4 is amazing slugfest! When the catch Luis that will be fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like Luis is in control, but will Pereira now hold on to 2nd as West isn't done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya, he passed Bishop and looked back and then took off. Amazing effort!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very happy for Luis, even more after his disappointing previous experience in Daytona. He races "in the sun" as Sebi would say, always pushing super aggressively at the front, from start to finish. In Brownlee's absence it's good to have such a profile to keep it all exciting.

Now, by the end of 2022, the old belief that racing short and long courses simultaneously isn't doable should be gone for good. Just put up decent prize money at 70.3/challenge 100km distances and the talented ITU guys will show how it's done. Can't wait for a proper showdown Luis vs Iden vs Sanders at a future 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why so few, if any flying mounts I wonder?

Is that not done anymore?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luis is back! I love it. My favorite triathlete of all time. Damn he was dominant in 2020. I'd love if he could fully regain his form. He looks on track, but can he put all the injuries behind?
Quote Reply

Prev Next