Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift
Quote | Reply
My wife, who has a mass of slightly over 40 kg, tried to contact Zwift re: their artificially imposed low mass limit of 45 kg (or 100 lbs). The zwift rep basically ignored her question (the other question posed was re: how to get started with the 7-day free trial).

For someone whose power output and mass are low, a 10% artificial lead weight is quite a bit of virtual baggage to haul, as her sustainable output is probably ~75-80 W.

On Zwift's own forum, there's talks of an upcoming update that addresses the issue, but that's rather vague. I've noticed on zwiftpower that some were able to use mass less than artificially-imposed 45 kg, but have no idea who s/he was able to override the limit.
Does anyone know of work-arounds to this?

I mean, surely, I hope we don't need to send Zwift a copy of my wife's latest physicals as proof that her mass is indeed quite a few kgs below the limit?

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can set the limit lower if your are not an adult. If you lower your age enough the limit doesn't apply.

I know they were trying to reduce cheating, but a 65kg rider who lists at 45 still gets a huge advantage. I'm guessing the physics get weird if the weight is low enough (with the feather powerup, you could actually have negative mass).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. That seemed to have done the trick.

For anyone else wondering, this has to be done in the actual Zwift program (which is to say, not the user accounts page on Zwift.com). Any birth year giving an age under 18 will do, and one can then enter a mass < 45 kg. Afterwards, one can then enter the correct birth year, and the mass will not (at least for now) be bumped back up to 45 kg.
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember the days before the weight limit. You would pedal along and somebody would pass everybody at what seemed like the speed of light. Absurdly, ridiculously fast. They would pass and be out of sight literally in a second or less.

I haven't seen one of those in a long time now. But it used to be extremely common.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a tangent what trainer are you using? I have yet to find a trainer that reliable provides <90 watts at a reasonable cadence even in a 34x28 gear. It seems like 100 watts is the resistance floor and below this trainer reported numbers are wildly inaccurate (relative to my PM) with a tendency to over report power.
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
On a tangent what trainer are you using? I have yet to find a trainer that reliable provides <90 watts at a reasonable cadence even in a 34x28 gear. It seems like 100 watts is the resistance floor and below this trainer reported numbers are wildly inaccurate (relative to my PM) with a tendency to over report power.

that's an interesting point you bring up

I'm using a Hammer (1st gen), but I should probably install one of my "spare" SRM on her bike to see if the data matches. Will report back when i get this investigated.
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my kid set up on my Tacx Neo and it seemed to work great for her 5 mile 63 watt ride. The style of the trainer would also lend to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:

My wife is a featherweight also, with her typical training power around 90 watts. Her power seemed pretty accurate / reliable on a first generation Hammer and her current Wahoo Kickr Core. By accurate, I mean her power pretty much matched her power pedals, Favero Assioma.
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a kid account you can enter any weight but the W/kg and thus your speed will be calculated based on 45kg weight. It’s a massive frustration for my son, he weights 26kg and while in reality he is pushing 3-4W/kg, Zwift shows only 2-2.5. In Zwift forum parents ask for months to fix it as in any event kids get dropped immediately. No response so far...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So she's is 4kgs lighter than the min the Zwift allows.

And that matters why?
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [triprem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly your Son, and all people under 45kg are 'victims' of cheating/dishonesty by adults on Zwift.

Only yesterday I did a Cat & Mouse race; I was in B Cat, and got dropped very early on as the front pack was pushing a sustained 4.5w/kg. The Leader was warning people of DQs, and I did catch a few later in the race as they faded. But overall, it's a bit of a joke.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fully agree, the cheating is riduculous. At the same time it’s an easy fix: allow lower weight for child accounts only. They require additional verification anyway - i really dont get why Zwift cannot solve it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
scott8888 wrote:

that's an interesting point you bring up

I'm using a Hammer (1st gen), but I should probably install one of my "spare" SRM on her bike to see if the data matches. Will report back when i get this investigated.

To be fair, when I worked for a company developing power meters - quite a few of those start to fizzle out, accuracy-wise, below 100w as well. No data on the SRM though, I'm sure it won't be worse than any other option.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

And that matters why?

Is this a serious question?
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Sadly your Son, and all people under 45kg are 'victims' of cheating/dishonesty by adults on Zwift.

Only yesterday I did a Cat & Mouse race; I was in B Cat, and got dropped very early on as the front pack was pushing a sustained 4.5w/kg. The Leader was warning people of DQs, and I did catch a few later in the race as they faded. But overall, it's a bit of a joke.

I agree, but the type of cheating you mentioned is not something that the implementation of the 45 kg rule will eliminate. In the race I did yesterday, one guy has 41 filtered results on zwift power, what appears to be allergic reactions to a HRM, and a 20-min w/kg of 4.8. Yet he signed up as a B-racer and really changed the dynamics of the mixed-start race. Another supposedly B-racer is also similarly allergic to a HRM (though at least the power numbers aren't that ridiculous). I'm sure they entered their respective weights relatively accurately, but the 45 kg rule will not change their actions.

In your case, that dude should (in the ideal world) get a warning before the start of the race, based on recent race history; and if he refuses to switch, he should dumped out of the race. Or if Zwift wants to be more diplomatic, have it count as one of three "antisocial strikes", so at least he gets penalized and warned after the fact.

The cynical side of me thinks that Zwift believes it would make more money by allowing the egoists to cheat than it would loses by enforcing more stringent rules. After all, it does provide for a very good training platform, and one can get in very good training despite of the cheaters. Without Zwift, I have to be distracted somehow to do steady Z2/Z3 rides, but put my avatar amongst a group of other avatars, and the distraction is no longer necessary. As for my wife, we live in Wisconsin, and there's no way she'd be able to ride outside the next month or so. So you, I, my wife, and countless others will put up with the bush league cheating and weird rules, all the while the egotist cheaters can pretty much have their actions go unchecked.

Mario S wrote:

And that matters why?

even though you appear to be straight-up trolling, I'll answer this in good faith

At the very least, it makes it that she can maintain proper cadence on the hills and not run out of gears

As for the more superficial stuff, complete the in-game challenges quicker...
Last edited by: echappist: Jan 23, 20 6:52
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [triprem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triprem wrote:
For a kid account you can enter any weight but the W/kg and thus your speed will be calculated based on 45kg weight. It’s a massive frustration for my son, he weights 26kg and while in reality he is pushing 3-4W/kg, Zwift shows only 2-2.5. In Zwift forum parents ask for months to fix it as in any event kids get dropped immediately. No response so far...

My son was in exactly the same scenario. Entered his real weight in Zwift and it was bumped back up when he started racing. 40 mins @ almost 4w/kg only to come second last. Helluva work out though!!
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
I remember the days before the weight limit. You would pedal along and somebody would pass everybody at what seemed like the speed of light. Absurdly, ridiculously fast. They would pass and be out of sight literally in a second or less.

I haven't seen one of those in a long time now. But it used to be extremely common.

I just saw this happen a few weeks ago.....I was like what the???? Superman!! I figured it was just someone messing around trying to get under everyone's skin on that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m just jumping back into Zwift after a 2 year hiatus from training and intensity. I’m amazed at how light and strong the other computer generated images are. My image keeps getting dropped and feels so inadequate.
Just doesn’t matter to me as long as I’m getting my work in and I have other images around to mess with. I’ll save my ire for real d bags.
Egan Bernal came by the other night. Or, you know, electronic Egan anyway. I crushed him, btw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
[
At the very least, it makes it that she can maintain proper cadence on the hills and not run out of gears

At 40kgs and 70w, I think she maybe should focus on more important issues, like eating.
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
echappist wrote:
[

At 40kgs and 70w, I think she maybe should focus on more important issues, like eating.

Im just quoting this in case you ever develop a prefrontal cortex and discover social tact
Last edited by: echappist: Jan 24, 20 5:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

I'm going to chalk all this up to a rough week at work or something. I suggest you bow out of this thread.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 24, 20 6:05
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Mario S wrote:

I'm going to chalk all this up to a rough week at work or something. I suggest you bow out of this thread.

See? This is why I don't like to leave the world tour thread.....
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Omloop is only 5 weeks away!
Quote Reply
Re: Circumventing the artificially-set 45 kg body mass limit on Zwift [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Omloop is only 5 weeks away!

lads, i hope y'all are ready for the spring classics. May be the last hurrah for the likes of Sagan and Kwiatkowski, as the specter of a certain M vdP looms ominously large...

The wife and I were in de Nederlands over Christmas, and we were really close to have stayed at the Corendon hotel by Schiphol.

Anyways, I was thinking about starting a Spring Classics banter thread in a few weeks, hopefully early enough this time that we can hammer out the rules re: dark horses and such. May also be looking for a new admin to run this thing for a bit. We shall see
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I don't even understand that!
Quote Reply

Prev Next