Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Circular Breathing Torches me..
Quote | Reply
Hey team -

So, something I've started to notice since I've taken training more seriously.

I can't breathe in a circular pattern. That is, if I'm mid-run or bike and I start the in-through-nose-out-through-mouth, I immediately tank. I can run my heart rate up pretty high and continue breathing nose-only for quite a while. But, if I breathe at all through my mouth it immediately feels like I get punched in the guts, heartrate goes haywire, and I start breathing way up in my neck. I feel like this is a big limiter to endurance because literally everything says this is how to breathe, but I just can't. Likely because I'm doing something wrong - anyone experience this?

M.
Quote Reply
Re: Circular Breathing Torches me.. [m_hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m_hoop wrote:
because literally everything says this is how to breathe

Have you tried... just breathing? Like without thinking about it. What happens?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m_hoop wrote:
because literally everything says this is how to breathe...

Wut?!

Just breathe. Don't think about it.

I've been running for 30 years, have read and heard just about everything there is about running, and have never heard this. Every now and then someone says there's a technique to breathing, runnersworld wrote a book about it, but 99% of good, bad, and average runners have never once tried a breathing technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m_hoop wrote:
I feel like this is a big limiter to endurance because literally everything says this is how to breathe, but I just can't.

Can you provide some sourcing on "literally everything"? A quick Google search of breathing while running says exactly the opposite of what you are saying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m_hoop wrote:
because literally everything says this is how to breathe

WUT?! Nobody says this is how to breathe. I can't imagine why anyone would even attempt this. Just breathe. Naturally. Like you have done since you were born.
Quote Reply
Re: Circular Breathing Torches me.. [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This actually makes me feel a lot better and I'm happy to be wrong. I was getting information from (yes) Runner's World, a few IG endurance coaches I follow, and things like my peloton workouts. If there's as much and/or more suggestions to the contrary - or just comfortable breathing, that's great.
Quote Reply
Re: Circular Breathing Torches me.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the other way around. I can't breathe through my nose because holes are small, I never get enough oxygen. I will suffocate. I'm a big time mouth breather and it works well. On the bike, I open my mouth as wide as possible and breathe. One downside is nothing(dust or pollen) gets filtered, so my throat bothers me after the race. Just like others say just breathe the way you feel comfortable and don't think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I breathe in through my nose on recovery runs to ensure I stay in Z2 or lower. Can't imagine trying that at Z3+ effort.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some of you guys waaaaaay overthink things
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve never thought about how to breathe while running. Like not even once. I might be leaving a lot on the table. Or, You just might be overthinking this one.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 15, 19 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Circular Breathing Torches me.. [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google search........immediately find someone that was selling a "book and method".......yup, snake oil. Someone out to peddle BS to make a buck.
Quote Reply
Re: Circular Breathing Torches me.. [mkserge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Humans aren’t horses. We have tiny nostrils. Once you get above an intensity threshold somewhere in Zone I or II, (depending on your favored system/method of calculating), you are not going to be able to use your nostrils exclusively anyway, so it’s silly to try. As other people stated here, just breathe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did the green grape say to the purple grape?

"Breathe man, BREATHE!!!!!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try my new Trapezoidal Breathing™ and PayPal me the royalties each time you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Circular Breathing Torches me.. [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer to not breathe, thank you very much. I find the air in my lungs really weighs me down

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Circular Breathing Torches me.. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’ve never thought about how to breathe while running. Like not even once. I might be leaving a lot on the table. Or, You just might be overthinking this one.

+1000

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha ha, I thought I was on my saxophone forum for a minute. Circular breathing is something I worry about on the saxophone, not during a triathlon! Definitely don't try it in the water.
Quote Reply