Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [SBR10003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBR10003 wrote:
spot wrote:
Elite Direto bike trainer. Got it 20% off from Clever Training. Should get it sometime in January as they are backordered.
Nice! How did you swing 20% off as opposed to their standard 10% off?

They had an early holiday sale that was just a few days, and after speaking with the Ministry of Finance (aka the wife), I pulled the trigger in early December. I think I saw the sale on the DC Rainmaker site.

Quote | Reply
Socks and a Mighty MP3 player so I can listen to my Spotify playlists offline without lugging around my phone.

https://bemighty.com/products/mighty
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
I'd have one right now. But the Cervelo disc option is about $5k too expensive and the only other contender, the Quintana Roo, is both $2k too expensive and I just don't trust the performance of the bike. I do believe it could be bottom rung aerodynamically. I mean, we all sat around and criticized Cervelo's development of the P5-X but that was actually the most tested bike ever made. That they didn't release that testing is beside the point. QR basically just slapped discs on their rim version. We're splitting hairs here, because it's like half a dozen watts, but that's everything in these discussions.

HuffNPuff wrote:
Are you referring only to the PR6 disc? What are your thoughts about performance of the PR6 with rim brakes? I.e., are you guessing the PR6 w rim brakes was bottom rung aerodynamically even before they slapped discs on the bike? I saw another thread where someone alleged that QRs testing suggested the PR6 was the aero equal of the P5. Yeah, I haven't see the numbers either.

That's what I'm guessing. But by "bottom rung aerodynamically", I mean I see it probably as being on par with something like the Felt B Series, or slightly worse. Then, my guess is that the disc brakes add a few watts. I just don't see how disc brakes don't add a few watts. It's just not possible. So my guess is the QR disc would have been last in our study.

Dan tells us that the QR just has to be "in the hunt". But what does "in the hunt" mean? How many grams of drag are meaningful? That's personal.

These are just guesses. I don't have anything to substantiate it except that QR is not a leader in aerodynamics. A disinterested third party should test it against a known quantity like the P5 or SC, but I'm not interested enough personally
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Cervelo P3 and new Campagnolo Record cranks, cassette, and chain for my Bianchi road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Tarmac Comp Disc. Should be delivered first week of Jan and can't wait to get out again after a few years away from the sport...
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [NormanT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
socks, toe warmers and arm warmers. ok, and an open mold gravel bike, arriving in pieces (missing frame and wheels, on their way from china).
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
P4 huh, how many bikes did you ride this year? I saw you did some aero testing, but didn't expect for you to be riding that. What made you go for this?

Sexy bike by the way.

Thank you -- I was really happy with how it came out and have been messing with it for a few weeks, finally finishing it up on Christmas day.

In 2017 I rode a Felt B2 for all races except one local Olympic for which I used the TriRig Omni, which I did not own but was testing for a review. I also owned a Diamondback Andean but I could never get that bike to work for me and returned it.

All these bikes had or have problems. I have never had a TT bike that I truly loved and could say flat out is a forever bike. I have a forever mountain bike, forever gravel bike, forever fat bike, and based on my experience thus far with the 3T Strada, maybe my forever aero road bike. But I just can't seem to find the proper balance among TT bikes between fit, performance, ease of ownership, etc., and yet is the bike I ride the most. I have owned something like 8 TT bikes and tested a couple more and they all suck. So this fall I resolved that 2017 will be the year that I find my forever TT bike. Then I'm just going to sell the others.

But why the P5? Well, the aero testing taught me that the P4 is probably the fastest bike ever made. The differences in aero drag between the P4 (from other testing) and between the P5 and P5-X (from our testing) are so minute that the weight differences in those respective bikes almost entirely bridge the aero gap. The P5-X is no faster than the P5 and the P5 is no faster than the P4.

Besides that, I have long been forced to use an undermount bar setup in order to hit my fit coordinates, and I hate that undermount setup. Besides the fact that it's probably slow, it's ugly and prevents normal BTA configurations, etc. Moreover, many of the latest and greatest bars are overmount only, like the PD Aeria Ultimate. Aside from the Neil Pryde frame, the 51 cm Cervelo P4 is the only frame that allows me to use most modern bars and to use overmount configuration while still hitting my numbers. The way it is built now is the lowest stack I have ever ridden at 542, and my extensions are above the bar. It's amazing. The pad-center reach is 500 and I will need to go longer by 5-10 mm.

Basically, this is not only probably the fastest bike I could build for myself but also the best fitting one. There are drawbacks, like the world's worst ever rear (rim) brake. No bike is perfect.

There's one other contender for me, which I also bought this off season at a banging price, is the Trek Speed Concept. I will build this up soon.

Aside from that, the new TriRig Alpha X extension clamp accommodation will allow me to use an "in line" setup where the extensions are neither over or below the bar. I plan to buy that front end and hardware and sell the Enve front end that is on my Felt B Series.

So in 2017 I will own three TT bikes: the Felt B Series with TriRig Alpha X; the P4; and Trek SC7. What I am preparing to do is find out which one I actually want to keep. I toyed with the idea of taking them to the tunnel to tease out aero differences, but why? They are almost surely so damn close that the totality of other factors between them would become the arbiter. And then I've spent days of my life driving this shit down to Mooresville and thousands of dollars to find out what I already know, which is that it doesn't make much difference at all when you have these amazing machines set up really well.

Longer term, I want a TT bike with rim brakes -- my forever rim-braking TT bike -- and a second TT bike with hydraulic discs. Actually I want that second one now, but the options out are far too expensive and/or hastily/poorly wrought. If Cervelo had a P2-X frameset that I could get for what I paid Trek for the SC7 ($2,000 even) I'd have one right now. But the Cervelo disc option is about $5k too expensive and the only other contender, the Quintana Roo, is both $2k too expensive and I just don't trust the performance of the bike. I do believe it could be bottom rung aerodynamically. I mean, we all sat around and criticized Cervelo's development of the P5-X but that was actually the most tested bike ever made. That they didn't release that testing is beside the point. QR basically just slapped discs on their rim version. We're splitting hairs here, because it's like half a dozen watts, but that's everything in these discussions.

I still can't wrap my mind around having a TT bike with hydraulic discs as my only TT bike, however. There is just too much that is a pain in the ass about them, especially for race day use. What happens when you get a rear flat on your P5-X? You are basically out of the race. Go home.

And yet I can't wrap my head around having a TT bike with rim brakes as my only TT bike. Because there is the prospect that you could actually die riding a Cervelo P4 with carbon clinchers in the rain. That shit is dangerous. You really want discs in the rain, especially when you're training.

Can you tell I think about this a little bit?

The P4 looks nice. I like your component selection.

The funny thing is I went through pretty much the same thought process, but ended up with a "new to me" SC 7.5. It was my choice because piecing the P4 together with a decent aerobar, P4 water bottle, and not as fiddly 2011 rear brake just wasn't working out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A book of Reinhold Messner about the great Antarctica-adventurer Frank Wild. It is a pity, that I finished the book already. I love adventurer-books (the one before was about the Raft of the Medusa).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
littlefoot wrote:
P4 huh, how many bikes did you ride this year? I saw you did some aero testing, but didn't expect for you to be riding that. What made you go for this?

Sexy bike by the way.

Thank you -- I was really happy with how it came out and have been messing with it for a few weeks, finally finishing it up on Christmas day.

In 2017 I rode a Felt B2 for all races except one local Olympic for which I used the TriRig Omni, which I did not own but was testing for a review. I also owned a Diamondback Andean but I could never get that bike to work for me and returned it.

All these bikes had or have problems. I have never had a TT bike that I truly loved and could say flat out is a forever bike. I have a forever mountain bike, forever gravel bike, forever fat bike, and based on my experience thus far with the 3T Strada, maybe my forever aero road bike. But I just can't seem to find the proper balance among TT bikes between fit, performance, ease of ownership, etc., and yet is the bike I ride the most. I have owned something like 8 TT bikes and tested a couple more and they all suck. So this fall I resolved that 2017 will be the year that I find my forever TT bike. Then I'm just going to sell the others.

But why the P5? Well, the aero testing taught me that the P4 is probably the fastest bike ever made. The differences in aero drag between the P4 (from other testing) and between the P5 and P5-X (from our testing) are so minute that the weight differences in those respective bikes almost entirely bridge the aero gap. The P5-X is no faster than the P5 and the P5 is no faster than the P4.

Besides that, I have long been forced to use an undermount bar setup in order to hit my fit coordinates, and I hate that undermount setup. Besides the fact that it's probably slow, it's ugly and prevents normal BTA configurations, etc. Moreover, many of the latest and greatest bars are overmount only, like the PD Aeria Ultimate. Aside from the Neil Pryde frame, the 51 cm Cervelo P4 is the only frame that allows me to use most modern bars and to use overmount configuration while still hitting my numbers. The way it is built now is the lowest stack I have ever ridden at 542, and my extensions are above the bar. It's amazing. The pad-center reach is 500 and I will need to go longer by 5-10 mm.

Basically, this is not only probably the fastest bike I could build for myself but also the best fitting one. There are drawbacks, like the world's worst ever rear (rim) brake. No bike is perfect.

There's one other contender for me, which I also bought this off season at a banging price, is the Trek Speed Concept. I will build this up soon.

Aside from that, the new TriRig Alpha X extension clamp accommodation will allow me to use an "in line" setup where the extensions are neither over or below the bar. I plan to buy that front end and hardware and sell the Enve front end that is on my Felt B Series.

So in 2017 I will own three TT bikes: the Felt B Series with TriRig Alpha X; the P4; and Trek SC7. What I am preparing to do is find out which one I actually want to keep. I toyed with the idea of taking them to the tunnel to tease out aero differences, but why? They are almost surely so damn close that the totality of other factors between them would become the arbiter. And then I've spent days of my life driving this shit down to Mooresville and thousands of dollars to find out what I already know, which is that it doesn't make much difference at all when you have these amazing machines set up really well.

Longer term, I want a TT bike with rim brakes -- my forever rim-braking TT bike -- and a second TT bike with hydraulic discs. Actually I want that second one now, but the options out are far too expensive and/or hastily/poorly wrought. If Cervelo had a P2-X frameset that I could get for what I paid Trek for the SC7 ($2,000 even) I'd have one right now. But the Cervelo disc option is about $5k too expensive and the only other contender, the Quintana Roo, is both $2k too expensive and I just don't trust the performance of the bike. I do believe it could be bottom rung aerodynamically. I mean, we all sat around and criticized Cervelo's development of the P5-X but that was actually the most tested bike ever made. That they didn't release that testing is beside the point. QR basically just slapped discs on their rim version. We're splitting hairs here, because it's like half a dozen watts, but that's everything in these discussions.

I still can't wrap my mind around having a TT bike with hydraulic discs as my only TT bike, however. There is just too much that is a pain in the ass about them, especially for race day use. What happens when you get a rear flat on your P5-X? You are basically out of the race. Go home.

And yet I can't wrap my head around having a TT bike with rim brakes as my only TT bike. Because there is the prospect that you could actually die riding a Cervelo P4 with carbon clinchers in the rain. That shit is dangerous. You really want discs in the rain, especially when you're training.

Can you tell I think about this a little bit?

Yes, I can. Sounds a little like me in some aspects. Over-analyzing every aspect. I have had several bikes (Kubota kalibur, p2, spec. transition, and now a speed concept gen2 7.5) The SC was my dream bike when I had the specialized transition, and my awesome wife let me buy it. I wish I hadn't. I love it, but it is heavy and doesn't like turns. It is pretty much a "fast forward" bike. I miss my transition and kinda wish I could stop lusting over the trek and just sell it and go back to the transition, and pocket a few bucks. But, I wont.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find contentment in your p4 or SC. I'm curious to see what you think of the SC and it's agility once you build it up.

By the way, what is your profession? You remind me mile2424 with the large priced bikes...how do you afford it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going from a Lynskey R320, for sale soon, to a Blue AC1. Trying to go more aero on the road bike. My feeble attempt of cheating aging.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed Belgium Plus build from Colorado Cyclist. Dura-Ace hubs, DT Comp spokes. Good price with their winter sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got an Allied Cycle Works Alfa road frame. I'm building up with Dura Ace 9150 Di2 and HED Jet Black 4 wheels. Pro Vibe post and cockpit. This is the first bike I've ever had that I was able to afford the exact build that I want. Really pumped. Just waiting on the last few parts to arrive I'll be able to finish it up. Pretty awesome that this frame was made a mile from my house here in Little Rock. Guys at Allied are awesome too. Made me a matte black color scheme that wasn't available at the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purchased Kickr as early Christmas present. Then realized I needed a better indoor set up so bought 40" 4k TV and Apple TV. Zwift is looking really good now that I can actually read the stats without my glasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [steve25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got myself a pair of Bont Vaypor+ and a Sram Force crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
jrielley wrote:
Did you come to the dark side with 1x?! And did you drill out the fd mount of is that one screw in/out?

I wouldn't say I came to the dark side at all. Because of inconvenient things like hills, I absolutely cannot have a TT bike with 1x as my only TT bike with the components on the market right now. I am running 50T and 11-32T on the P4 right now because I'm taking the thing to Florida for the next month to train and I know there is no way in hell I'll need anything else. I will probably toss on an 11-25 when I get there.

But when I get home I'll have a Felt B series with 2x and that is what I need at least until 3T gives us the 9-32T. That changes things. That may bring me over to the dark side on every road bike I own, now or in the future.

This is a really transformative time for these performance bikes. We are on the edge of some really cool shit happening with the simultaneous movement from 2x to 1x and from rim to disc braking.

Check out the 3T Strada. That bike is Gerard Vroomen making a statement about the future of road bikes. It has 1x and disc brakes and it's absolutely beautiful and rides as well as anything I've ridden. And 3T is sponsoring a pro team and they are using the Strada and demo-ing the 9-32T cassette. Do you really think a TT bike isn't next?!? Of course it is. We are about to see the P6 that Vroomen would have given us were he still at Cervelo.

I am hoping that this bike could be my forever TT bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Kiley did you every think about trying the P3C? Identical geometry to the P4, and with a sensible amount of modification (ie get the drill out for top tube cabling) and an aero front end I'd be willing to bet that the difference in drag between the two would be less than the published charts show. The advantage of course being that you can put a proper brake on the back. It is a very easy bike to work on.

The only less than perfect elements I can find with the bike are;

- slightly crap saddle mount system with that weird Cervelo single bolt, but a bit of carbon paste takes all of the pain away.
- I have no issue at all with horizontal dropouts, and I know you don't need the little screws to hold the wheel in place - that's what your skewer is for - but they do help with alignment and are frankly shit.
- no top tube bosses for a bento - however, refer to earlier comments about getting the drill out.

A lot of the benefit of the P4 - most notably the geometry - without the shit brake.

That said, I'd definitely have a P4.. sexy bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought for myself: Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life by William Finnegan. It won a Pulitzer and got great reviews, so I have high expectations.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jan 9, 18 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think about it. I'm less familiar with that frame and the P4 was ready to go out of the box without modification.

I am working on a solution to the rear brake problem with chicanery. If it works, he may have a little side business doing custom mods on 2011 P4s...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
Kiley what bars and stem?

kileyay wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate with a 100mm Syntace Flat Force stem. sesel cut the steerer tube really short so I don't have a lot of stem options for this bike, which is fine as the Syntace gets me in the perfect spot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
sesel....

ahh, so you're the one! Fast bike :)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanksgiving through Christmas time period:

1. Factor O2 frame/fork
2. a set of Black Inc. wheels
3. a set of Enve wheels
4. Hed Jet Plus Disc
5. SRAM eTap for the TT bike
6. Four ContiGP4k tires
7. 100% glasses
8. Lusso Aero socks.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woodys737 wrote:
Thanksgiving through Christmas time period:

1. Factor O2 frame/fork
2. a set of Black Inc. wheels
3. a set of Enve wheels
4. Hed Jet Plus Disc
5. SRAM eTap for the TT bike
6. Four ContiGP4k tires
7. 100% glasses
8. Lusso Aero socks.

Holy crap! You win. Haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas, what did you get...or buy for yourself [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll start with what I didn't get ... Silca Maratona gear bag . So want one.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jan 14, 18 17:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next