Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics
Quote | Reply
He's missed three tests w/i 12 months, but is challenging one of those occurrences.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...REE-drugs-tests.html

Seems very careless to miss three tests...
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's unbelievable to me that you can miss 2 tests every 12 months with no repercussions. You have to miss 3 in 12 months before you face a suspension, it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many did Tim Don miss?
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, imagine no show/no call three times at any number of jobs.
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are mixing apples and oranges. for a job, you know what time you have to show up to work every day. for a drug test, you DON'T know what time the test will show up and you might not even be where the tester shows up. you could be at dinner, doing a workout or shagging some girl at her place after you picked her up at a bar in whatever city you said you were in. with that being said, if you have 2 missed tests and you get the call and the hour clock has started, you get your aSS up from wherever you are and to the tester. i have little sympathy for a professional sprinter (nevermind the fastest one in the world) who has completely missed 3 tests in a year. that's entirely on him. also, the claim that he was "just tested" by another body is irrelevant because dopers often load up right after a test thinking that they won't get tested again any time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
How many did Tim Don miss?
He also missed 3, and was subsequently banned from all future Olympic games.

https://www.theguardian.com/.../oct/13/uk.triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
you are mixing apples and oranges. for a job, you know what time you have to show up to work every day. for a drug test, you DON'T know what time the test will show up and you might not even be where the tester shows up. you could be at dinner, doing a workout or shagging some girl at her place after you picked her up at a bar in whatever city you said you were in. with that being said, if you have 2 missed tests and you get the call and the hour clock has started, you get your aSS up from wherever you are and to the tester. i have little sympathy for a professional sprinter (nevermind the fastest one in the world) who has completely missed 3 tests in a year. that's entirely on him. also, the claim that he was "just tested" by another body is irrelevant because dopers often load up right after a test thinking that they won't get tested again any time soon.

But it's not 24/7.
You have to declare via the ADAMS database where you are going to be for a 1hr slot per day, plus there's a function for when travelling too, and to record which comps youre entered in.

So its not that difficult. Just don't put your slot as 2.27am-3.27am on a Saturday night if you think you're going out to pull and may be shagging at an unknown location.

That's one reason I find the attitude of sports like diveball so unnacceptable - its fecking easy to know WTF you're doing for 1 hr a day. They just don't want to address doping.
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I homestayed an top level pro once here in Raleigh for a 70.3 race. Turns out he was slightly allergic to my dog and so I sent him to my sisters house.

This was all done at like 10pm at night.

6am wada shows up at my door looking to test said athlete “mr X reported his address here for this race so we are here to test him”.

“Umm he’s not here, he’s at X address...”.

He had 1 hour to get back and take the test or it was classified as a missed test (not a failed test).

I felt like a complete ass as it was basically my fault he was going to get tagged with 1 missed test. Athlete was actually like “its ok this is why your allowed to miss a few because this happens more than ppl realize.....miss a flight and you get these issues”. Turns out we got the testers and athlete to meet within the hour and all was good.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 23, 19 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But he DID get tested 11 times during the same 12 months. So there is that...
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
But he DID get tested 11 times during the same 12 months. So there is that...
Not necessarily. Were all those other times in competition? 3 times to miss is a lot. Muck ups can occasionally happen, so once I think ok.. twice, bit suss, better be way more careful, 3rd time nah! dodgy.
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never been tested, but in a situation like this is the tester at least somewhat accommodating? Like will they meet in the middle at like a McDonalds or something?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that case the testers even went to the new location. It was in same area of Raleigh. I got athlete on phone they spoke to testers and they met up. He would have still made it back in time (within 1 hour) to my house where his “whereabouts” stated he was suppose to be. Everyone worked with each other, at end of day they just want to get the test done.

As I said in the thread where girl got her punishment reduced just be honest with them. The testers/program aren’t trying to “get you” as athletes. They are as much on the hook with doing it professional and by the book so they aren’t trying to put you in a corner. Just don’t try and pull fast ones on them like lance taking a “quick shower” out of sight etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 23, 19 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When he decided to go somewhere else, why did he not text an update to his whereabouts? It's super easy.

The only time I ever had to fill out whereabouts was when I was in the 2000 Olympic trials for rowing (I had no chance of winning, for me it was just a great experience). Then I had to fill out a detailed paper calendar and sign it and hand it to a USRowing official. I think to update it I had to mail in a form. Missing a test I think was a lot more understandable back then. Today they make it so easy.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cus it was 10:30pm he was annoyed at having to move to new place and just wanted to go to bed and find the new location. Not so “easy” imo. But as I said everything was done as needed, test was achieved within 1 hour. In the end no dramas.

The same reason why cancelled fight can led to these issues.

Changing your “whereabouts” isn’t always the 1st thing on your mind when “life” gets in way.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 23, 19 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s the reason why when I told them the backstory (while figuring out how to coordinate the 2 parties) they were like “that makes sense let’s just get the test done”. They didn’t beat him over the head with “it’s easy to update why didn’t you update at midnight”.

Sometimes you just have to roll with life’s punches and make the best of situations which is what the athlete + testers did.

ETA: and it’s precisely why the whereabouts isssue allows for mulligans. Cus athletes live in the real world where it’s not always “easy”.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 23, 19 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's not necessary? I don't know what you mean. It's FACT that he got tested 11 times during the same period in which he also missed 3.

https://www.si.com/...ests-track-and-field

"... According to USADA's Athlete Test History, Coleman has been tested 11 times in 2019, nine times in 2018, three times in 2017, twice in 2016 and once in 2015..."
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the "there is that" part of your statement that I believe means nothing, he would have been tested in competition, when any cheat would be making sure their system would test clean. Then would have been tested when he knew was ok, if they turned up when he was a bit worried he made sure he wasn't home/available .. 3 times not available is suss, so certainly doesn't necessarily mean being tested other times shows he is clean.
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well he got off, with some major rule twisting by USADA. If I had any faith in the system, it is now gone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don must have appealed because I think he subsequently raced in the Olympics in Beijing (DNF).
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, he did. I'm not sure if the 2006 article I posted got the details of the ban wrong, or if he later appealed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not like we're having Worlds or Olympics any time soon, so ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Christian Coleman may be out of World Champs and Olympics [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
It's not like we're having Worlds or Olympics any time soon, so ...

This was back in December before things went to shit.
They had better give him more than a 12 month backdated ban or it will be sending a really bad message to clean athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's his work to be in 1 place for 1 hr a day. Its not that hard.
Imagine if you were a security guard assigned a location to guard for 1hr a day. And 3 times the boss turned up and you were not there.
TWICE.

Equally for the testers - just take date stamped photographic proof of being there at the right place ajd time. DHL can do that for delivering me a parcel valued at ÂŁ20 every time. They do now They're not getting signatures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it's settled. I for one am glad, it seems it has been too easy for athletes to get away with whereabouts failures. Now to see how the system continues to hold for that Naser

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply