Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Choosing bike #3 - XC, gravel, Road Plus, adventure?
Quote | Reply
I don't have enough bikes so I'm starting to think about bike #3 (#4 actually if you consider my trusty beach cruiser). I want something between road bike and mt bike. I currently have a Cervelo S3 so this next bike wouldn't be used for standard road riding but it would likely see a good bit of paved road for casual riding like an easy recovery ride or when I want to hit the brewery that is a bit beyond reasonable beach cruiser range. I want it to be offroad capable but not a mt bike - gravel, packed dirt trails, varied urban terrain. I might jump into a local CX race for fun but don't want a dedicated CX race bike. That brings me to options and how to sort them out - gravel, CX, Road Plus, etc. These all seem to be variations on the same thing so I'm not sure it matters what the label is as long as I get the features and capabilities I'm looking for. I'd prefer to stick with 700 wheels although I know there are frames that can take Road Plus and 700. I think disc brakes and tubeless is the right call here as well as probably going 1X, although I can go either way on that. I don't think I need 50mm tires but room for at least 35mm and maybe up to 42mm would be good. So throw me some options. I'd like to stay in the $2-3k range and I'm not opposed to starting with a frameset and building it up.I have a couple of ideas but I'm curious to see what is suggested.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Aug 1, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing bike #3 [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to me you've gone to a lot of effort to write something to justify your desire to get a gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like an exploro is a good option for you. Can take 700 and 650 wheels

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Trek Domane 5 SL Disc. I think they list for $2,500. I have 2 wheels sets, 1 for gravel & 1 for road. Seems to be working OK for me. But I will tell you this is my first foray into gravel riding so there may be a better option out there.

Edit to clarify brake type.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Aug 1, 18 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest the Trek Crockett or Checkpoint frames. Crockett is a CX frame that can run 40mm tires while Checkpoint is dedicated gravel frame with mounts for bags and can run slightly larger tires. Both frames are less than $1K.

Otherwise, my only suggestion is to stay away from anything that is PF30 in a carbon bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing bike #3 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. But I guess I'm justy not fully appreciating what makes a gravel bike different from a CX or "adventure" bike. Or, what specifically makes a gravel bike unique? I'm not looking for a pure race bike so that's a reason I don't NEED a CX bike, but that doesn't necessarily rule it out as an option unless it can't do something that a gravel bike can.

logella wrote:
Seems to me you've gone to a lot of effort to write something to justify your desire to get a gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Primary differences between dedicated CX bike versus gravel are geometry and tire clearance.
CX bike is meant to be raced on a tight course for an hour. A lot of the time they have only one or no bottle cage spots, and usually are spaced for up to ~35-38mm tires (which is silly, as only UCI pro riders are limited to 33 mm width rules; amateurs can ride whatever the hell they want in races in most countries and usually a 40ish is gonna be great for CX racing and dirt road riding)
CX bike geometry is going to just be a bit more “twitchy” especially at higher speeds, just with shorter chainstays and higher BB than a gravel bike because it’s more meant for those tight turns where you’re never going straight, up, or down for more than a minute, rather than wide open dirt and gravel roads.
That said, I ride my CX bike as a “gravel bike” all the time here in CO, and it took a little getting used to how it handled on longer dirt road descents, but it’s fine now.
A shop is 100% going to try sell you a gravel bike based on what you describe, but a CX bike could absolutely do the trick especially where you are.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Maybe. But I guess I'm justy not fully appreciating what makes a gravel bike different from a CX or "adventure" bike. Or, what specifically makes a gravel bike unique? I'm not looking for a pure race bike so that's a reason I don't NEED a CX bike, but that doesn't necessarily rule it out as an option unless it can't do something that a gravel bike can.

A CX bike's generally (not always) gonna have a longer reach/lower stack geometry, and probably a higher bottom bracket, than "gravel bike" from the same manufacturer. Think "endurance road" vs "race road." "Adventure" starts at "gravel," and typically means additional mounting bosses for things like racks, fenders, bags, etc, as well as a more heavy-duty overall build to hold up to the additional stress of carrying bikepacking gear.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing bike #3 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Exactly. No shame in coming out and admitting you want a gravel bike. Bottom line is wider tire clearance, comfort, fun, versatility. I have a Trek Checkpoint that I use for commuting, gravel races, and random get around and absolutely love riding it. I'm guessing your price range might include Niner RLT, a Salsa model or two, Specialized Diverge, but I will give props to the Checkpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:

Your confusion is warranted - there is no such thing as gravel geo or cx geo. I've seen "gravel bikes" that have mtn bike geo all the way to almost road geo, and I've seen "cx bikes" with the same wide geo range. Massive overlap.

I think what you need to do is determine what kind of geo you want based on your riding style, bike fit, tire clearance, all while factoring in the terrain in your area. Some people want a long and slack bike for gravel while others prefer a bike closer to road geo.

I personally prefer my "gravel bike" to be more of a road bike with lots of tire clearance, so there is a huge spectrum here! Getting a bunch of random opinions from slowtwitch might not help you very much.

Re: Choosing bike #3 [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is helping to rule out a CX bike. Not because it can't work, but because it doesn't sound like the best choice for what I want. I haven't done a lot of looking yet but two bikes that have caught my ey are the Canyon Grail and Norco Search XR. I like the unique handlebars on the Grail because it provides a nice optional hand position on the "floating" top section for casual riding if I want to sit more upright. Looks like both the Grail and Search have similar accomodations for fenders, bags, and bottles. Tough to beat $2300 for the Grail CF SL 7.0 though. I think 105 is sufficient for this bike so no need to to pop an extra $600 for Ultegra.

Bonesbrigade wrote:

I think what you need to do is determine what kind of geo you want based on your riding style, bike fit, tire clearance, all while factoring in the terrain in your area. Some people want a long and slack bike for gravel while others prefer a bike closer to road geo.

iank wrote:

CX bike geometry is going to just be a bit more “twitchy” especially at higher speeds, just with shorter chainstays and higher BB than a gravel bike because it’s more meant for those tight turns where you’re never going straight, up, or down for more than a minute, rather than wide open dirt and gravel roads.

gary p wrote:

Think "endurance road" vs "race road." "Adventure" starts at "gravel," and typically means additional mounting bosses for things like racks, fenders, bags, etc, as well as a more heavy-duty overall build to hold up to the additional stress of carrying bikepacking gear.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Aug 1, 18 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Fuji Jari. I was eyeing it before I got a deal on the Rodeo Labs Flaanimal frameset that I built up. I know Tom A likes his.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing bike #3 [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fixed gear track bike. Too many triathletes soft pedal and coast. This shall fix that issue
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing bike #3 - XC, gravel, Road Plus, adventure? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adventure bike it ! it's what I'm doing. Officially it's bike #6 but I'm not counting the 80's MTB YFrame Trek, 86 Look KG86 and they Kestrel 200SC which are more like museum pieces. Well I did ride the Look at Eroica.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Aug 1, 18 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing bike #3 - XC, gravel, Road Plus, adventure? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at an Otso Warakin. Not sure what material you are looking at, but I'd consider this bike if I had the extra cash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ibix Hakka MX with the Force 1 build and 700c wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given what you describe, any of CX, Gravel, Adventure will do the trick and for the odd race all will be fine. I bought a Cannondale SuperX 2 years ago and was in the same boat as you. Mostly i chose it because it was a great deal and fit the bill. I have raced 100mile gravel grinder on it, I ride it in the spring on the road when the roads are still lousy up north (sand and slush), I have slapped slick on it and used it as an extra road bike when my buddy was in town without his bike, I ride forest service roads, etc.

Find a good spec. and price point and anyone of these types of bikes will be all-purpose for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I mentioned above, you can't just "rule out" cx bikes, because there is a huge amount of overlap with gravel bikes, adventure bikes and cx bikes. Taking a look at the Canyon and Norco you mentioned, they look more "cx" than your typical "gravel bike".

Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Specialized Diverge. They now have a lockout feature on the shock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you already have a road bike, I would lean more toward the adventure bike end of things. I would not buy anything that had less than 40mm of clearance. I really like a lot of tire volume for dirt and broken pavement downhills. With the right tires, I never thought I was losing a lot of speed when I hit the road. And you definitely want tubeless. Most of the new ones are probably going to come with disc brakes, which gives you the option of going to 650b if you want.
Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing bike #3 - XC, gravel, Road Plus, adventure? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized is dead to me.

GreenPlease wrote:
Take a look at the Specialized Diverge. They now have a lockout feature on the shock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a carbon frame Salsa Warbird. Great bike! I have a set of ZIPP 303 disc wheels that is currently on it. Its a pretty darn good road bike and an awesome gravel bike! And you will be the only kid on the block with a Warbird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diamondback Haanjo. <---click here

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Focus Mares Rival 1.

Takes up to 40mm tires. Great handling. Good for CX, gravel or road (with slicks). I wouldn't use it for a crit, but everything else would be fine.

I have the Force 1 version.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing bike #3 - XC, gravel, Road Plus, adventure? [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The carbon Apex version is mildly interesting but doesn't look to have mounts for fenders and bags, has cable brakes, and is about 2lbs heavier than the Canyon Grail CF 7.0 - for more $. I'm not sure if I prefer that it's 1X or not. I think I might want to stick with a trtaditional 2X for better compatibility on the road, though that definitely isnb't the primary intended use.
Quote Reply

Prev Next