Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
"Endurobro" could be the best new noun / adjective stereotype ever for the typical Mtn bike persona, gone are the days where mountain biking was mainly an endurance sport.

I was riding at a new trail area near me the other day and there was a pack of "endurobros" car shuttling to the top of a 800' climb that I rode up in about 25 minutes. Full body armor, full face helmets, one step removed from motocross.

Endurobro culture really ticks me off. We have serious issues with trail access, and the image of mountain biking being pushed by the industry is Red Bull swilling yahoos kicking up rooster tails as they drift through turns and morons hopped up on Mountain Dew doing huge jumps or drops without regard to the inevitable injuries that will leave them taking ibuprofen with their morning coffee as part of their regular routine as they get older. All those who fight to restrict mountain bike access need to do is point to the industry's own ads.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iank wrote:
There’s an argument that FS are a bit more maintenance, but that’s negligible IMO if you consider it’s not too different from the fork you have regardless.

For what the OP describes (fire roads and dinking around) I'd nix the suspension fork also and go with 29+.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you all about the image and that the marketing messaging is irritating and not great, but i think you will find that those people are overrepresented in the advertising but not so prevalent in reality on-trail, EXCEPT in bike parks (like Whistler, Mammoth etc., where the parks themselves are specifically designed for that kind of thing so it's really NBD). Every other place i've gone, including areas well known for MTB with gnarly, chunky DH sections and flow (like Moab, for example), without fail, every person i've met on-trail has been friendly, kind, respectful, happy to chat and compare notes and just overall super stoked to be out there. Very, very few endurobros. And nb, this includes people on every single type of bike you can imagine, people who ride every feature and people who go cautiously. I personally stay away from the "slopestyle" type parks simply because it's not my scene.

And, i think we'd all agree that the best bike depends on what kind of terrain you gonna ride. the big travel (i.e. 150+ mm) are really really fun when you're doing fast riding on big chunky with 2+ foot drops but you really don't need it for anything else.

I've given up on trying to have just one bike, but that's because i like MTB so much. Other than my gravel grinder / CX bike, i don't own a road bike anymore. But, if you WERE to try to have only one and you're planning on riding real trails (not just fire roads) but not planning on going huge, I still believe short-travel trail or XC bikes, or alternatively a hardtail trail / xc that fits big tires, will be the most versatile and allow you to have fun in the most places.

Lots of modern XC bikes have become more trail like as race courses have become burlier, and the "trail" category now pedals pretty well and is not so squishy. As a result, you can find bikes that are pretty much right smack dab in the middle between XC rocket and long-travel trail bike that really can do it all decently well.

I'm partial to the longer travel version of the Cannondale Scalpel 29er; it rides kind of the same way a hardtail does but you get better traction and compliance over the rough stuff of course. But then again, I am from Bethel CT and a loyalist from way back, so take that with a grain of salt :)
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
"Endurobro" could be the best new noun / adjective stereotype ever for the typical Mtn bike persona, gone are the days where mountain biking was mainly an endurance sport.

I was riding at a new trail area near me the other day and there was a pack of "endurobros" car shuttling to the top of a 800' climb that I rode up in about 25 minutes. Full body armor, full face helmets, one step removed from motocross.

Endurobro culture really ticks me off. We have serious issues with trail access, and the image of mountain biking being pushed by the industry is Red Bull swilling yahoos kicking up rooster tails as they drift through turns and morons hopped up on Mountain Dew doing huge jumps or drops without regard to the inevitable injuries that will leave them taking ibuprofen with their morning coffee as part of their regular routine as they get older. All those who fight to restrict mountain bike access need to do is point to the industry's own ads.

I don't know where you guys live but we have been shuttling DH on the North Shore and surrounding area since the mid 90s at least. If anything, I think I have seen an increase in XC type riding out here lately.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also honestly not really sure what's to be so upset about, unless these guys are actively being a$$holes. It's just a different but still impressive type of athleticism. Like, do you go to the track and be like, "what are all these idiot sprinters doing here, they should be running at least 10k at a time"??
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devolikewhoa83 wrote:
i think you will find that those people are overrepresented in the advertising but not so prevalent in reality on-trail, EXCEPT in bike parks (like Whistler, Mammoth etc., where the parks themselves are specifically designed for that kind of thing so it's really NBD).

^^This has been my experience. I've literally never seen someone out on the local trails in body armor or a full-face helmet. The terrain just doesn't warrant it. Bike parks and lift-access ski resorts sure, but not out on the trails.

I also don't see why it's such a bad thing for mountain biking. Like it or not, enduro, all mountain, downhill and dirt jumping are getting new people interested in riding, focusing media attention on the sport, and generally pushing the boundaries of what is possible on mountain bikes. XC not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:

I

Please keep the endurobros off the motocross track.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Cycling is my weakness. My coach suggested I get on a mountain bike this winter to have some fun while building fitness and improving my bike handling. I'm a road bike nerd, but am completely perplexed by the variety of MTB offerings... XC, all trail, freestyle, fat tire, etc. The internet is awash in debates about geometry, let alone tire size, tire thickness, ideal amount of suspension travel, trigger vs grip shifter, etc. It's really not clear to me what the heck I need. I was looking at Canyon Lux (XC) and Canyon Spectral (All Trail) and was thinking of spending in the $2-3K range for something decent.

In terms of what I'd likely do on the MTB -- I live in San Francisco. I don't intend to take bike up chairlifts in Tahoe anytime soon -- more just bombing up/down fireroads, having fun in the woods, etc. Nothing too technical. I'm leaning toward full suspension, simply because it would seem to open more options. I don't expect to MTB race, but you never know.... perhaps I'll enjoy and do Leadville 100 in a few years time...

So I've been looking to upgrade my MTB for years, and it seems that every year something new and fantastic comes out (what ever happened to that 'mono fork concept'). There are so many suggestions that it reminds me of the story about a surgeon trying to figure out what procedure to use on a patient. He consults an older doctor and asks about three procedures that are used about equally. The older doctor tells him,"Pick any one". If one was better than another, then that one would be the most used, since they're all used about the same, there must not be much difference.

Your coach wants you to improve your fitness on the bike, so you have to get out on the bike, so any bike is going to work. Actually get a heavy FS bike from WalMart, and work your butt off riding that thing up and down hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
wintershade wrote:
Cycling is my weakness. My coach suggested I get on a mountain bike this winter to have some fun while building fitness and improving my bike handling. I'm a road bike nerd, but am completely perplexed by the variety of MTB offerings... XC, all trail, freestyle, fat tire, etc. The internet is awash in debates about geometry, let alone tire size, tire thickness, ideal amount of suspension travel, trigger vs grip shifter, etc. It's really not clear to me what the heck I need. I was looking at Canyon Lux (XC) and Canyon Spectral (All Trail) and was thinking of spending in the $2-3K range for something decent.

In terms of what I'd likely do on the MTB -- I live in San Francisco. I don't intend to take bike up chairlifts in Tahoe anytime soon -- more just bombing up/down fireroads, having fun in the woods, etc. Nothing too technical. I'm leaning toward full suspension, simply because it would seem to open more options. I don't expect to MTB race, but you never know.... perhaps I'll enjoy and do Leadville 100 in a few years time...
not to throw cold water on this, but think it through a bit.

I bought a new MTB ($3700 all said and done), because I no longer felt safe riding on the roads, but could ride on the local trails. To say that it's eye-opening is a bit of an understatement. There was a thread here asking about relative safety. For that, be prepared to fall or crash. Already happened 3 times since I bought the bike in May.

Be ready to spend tons of time (and perhaps some money) learning how to ride properly. I'm still scared stiff (arms literally stiff from grabbing onto the bars for dear life) doing switchback descents, but it's getting better. Also don't expect your MTB workout to have much value in calorie-burning, at least not in the beginning.

You’ve fallen off 3 times since May? I fell off 3 times just yesterday trying to clear some technical sections. I hate babyheads.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, and if you don't come off the bike at least once and hour you're not trying hard enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Think about it this way:

Hardtail: Lighter, harsher, less complex. Old school people will say these bikes will teach you to ride the right way. This is akin to saying your first road bike needs to be steal to appreciate modern carbon frames.

XC Race ~ 100mm of Travel. This is your Specialized Epic, Your Scott Spark RC, etc. Certainly more forgiving than the Hardtail, but think of this suspension as something that helps you go faster... like why F1 cars have suspension. It's not for comfort, it's for traction

XC Race / Trail - ~ 120mm of travel. This is a newer category where manufacturers are taking what is essentially the efficient mountain bike and adding a bit of "Fun" to it. This is the Scott Spark (Non-RC), The Epic Evo. I think this what you are after. These make great learning bikes from riders who are used to going fast on the road, but are looking for some forgiveness on the trail. These can still be raced, but they're about 1.5 lbs heavier than their true race counterparts.

Trail ~ 120-150mm of travel. These bikes are more about fun. Slacker angles make them more confidence inspiring on steeper descents and jumps. The tires tend to be meaty and slower, but with greatly improved traction. Suspension is less about pedaling efficiency and more about isolating you from the trail. Components are heavier and more durable.

In my opinion: Scott Spark 930 is what you're looking for.
- XC race like frame with increased travel
- Middle of the road geometry
-Front and rear lock-out

The Canyon Lux is very close.
The head tube angle is under 70 degrees, which will be confidence inspiring, the travel is 110 front and 100mm rear.
The two bottles cages are nice for longer rides.
The suspension design will need some help from compression damping on the rear shock, but that's not a huge deal.

Ultimately you need to ride them. Most shops will let you demo bikes for a fee. Even if it's $100 it's money well spent to better understand what you want.

One poster above said that fit matters less. While I can see the argument that sitting in one position for 5 hours on a TT bike is very fit intensive, when you're talking about mountain bikes the geometry is much more defining to the ride than on any road bike.

What a great post!

I've been umming an erring about getting a mtb for a while. I started out racing XC Mountain Bikes in the early 90s.(My first Triathlon as a kid was on my mountain bike at school) And my last bike before I took up Tri more seriously in '10 was a 03 GT Zaskar Expert. (26") But was a bit confused by all the newer terms for different bikes. So your post has brought my knowledge back up to date.

WRT Technique.

A former work colleague of mine, is constantly out on his YT and uploading various GoPro7 videos. He does crash/fall off a lot more than even I used to back in the day. I do look back at some of my photos from those days and wonder what the hell I was thinking riding down some of the things I did!

Fearlessness of Youth I guess!
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So a buddy talk me into going on a group ride last Tuesday. I have a 14 year old specialized hard rock comp. Lets just say that this thing doesn't shift good on climbs. This ride was 3-4 miles or sidewalks, then mile or two of greenways, then got to park with gravel/dirt trails. Went down a few trails that had a lot of climbing on it. This ride was from 6pm to 8pm with lights on bike and helmets. This was the most fun I probably ever had on a bike. Great workout, tough workout but it was a blast did 23 miles total. I can't wait to go back but now trying to find info on replacing my old 14 year old bike with 26 inch tires. Thanks for this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing a mountain bike [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just swapped over my 14 y/o giant to a 1x9 setup, kind of a Frankenstein setup with integrated shift /brake levers but no FD, e thirteen 40t extender cog for a 10s drivetrain, and I had to cannibalize a sram 12-23 cassette for its 12 and 14 t cogs, which are mounted wuth the cassette carrierfrom an XT 11-34 cassette ( so 6 cogs from 17-34) and then the 40t on the end. On the workstand, Shifting from the 14 to the 17 is pretty balky, gotta shift up 2 gears then down one to get into the 17. Lastly, I Threw on an inexpensive 32t narrow-wide ring on the front, (tbd whether I reinstall the bash ring,) and a new chain.

Looks way cleaner and won’t pick up nearly as much crud. Mostly running this setup to confirm whether a 32/40 low gear is enough. In a few months I’m planning on converting to 1X11, and probably converting my wife’s bike to either 1X9 with a 30t ring or 2x9, but that’s more than I wanted to spend right now.

Before

After

Parts (with a sweet blue anodized big cog!)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Oct 26, 18 5:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next