Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Choose my car (sort of)
Quote | Reply
Talking with my wife tonight...considering gas is getting increasingly expensive, that (despite what some say here) the air is getting worse by the day, we have decided to sell our SUV, and do like the rest of the world that rides...get a normal car with a bike rack...

looking for something with good fuel economy (say around 30mpg, ruling out hybrid...as the acceleration on most of them suck and considering how some people drive sometime being able to accelerate is important...), and a price around $20K, preferably under...
we looked briefly at toyota matrix, honda civic, pontiac vibe, and a bunch of other small cars or compact cars...considering also accord, jetta, golf...

Opinions? (yeah I know audi A3, BMW serie 5 etc...look really neat...)
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my car (sort of) [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The car queen says look at the 3 Series BMW, she thinks it gets decent gas mileage. I think you should get a station wagon! Her again - Honda Accord, great mileage plus good acceleration, volkswagen are still considered somewhat problematic, Subaru Forrester or Outback and she her insider tip is that you can talk the bike rack into the deal, toyota but she said look at the honda first. Then she said call her or email her for up to date info from work. (you guys email quite a bit eh?)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 25, 05 20:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking seriously at the Highlander Hybrid. The 0-60 numbers for the hybrid are better than they are for the Highlander with a conventional engine. You get all the room and comfort of an SUV with economy car mileage. I'll probably wait for next years' model, though. My little Subaru Impreza will do us just fine for another year.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
want to buy my 330?
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my car (sort of) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why doesn't she post this herself eh? ;-)
(still trying to find out...)
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my car (sort of) [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huh...well...how to say that...hmmm...embarassing...ok...I don't drive standard... :-( red, ashamed and all ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
her again...I wish she would start using her screen name.....BMW has an all maintenance included for three or four years special going on right now. She also has a contact in EP to boot.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toyota Matrix is an awesome car Francois.
Lots of friends have different versions,from the entry level to the type X which is very sporty.They are all pleased.
Plus- Toyota's live forever.
We had a Camry that had 275K on the odometer when we sold it,and the owner swears by that car.

A Subaru WRX wagon is a tiny bit more than the Matrix,but has AWD, hauls ass(225hp) and still manages good mpg.
It makes for a very cool triathletes car.

I saw a black one(WRX wagon) at IMLP this weekend that was pimped out w/ twin bike racks on the roof,very nice!

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
see the conflict...

$20,000...BMW....
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my car (sort of) [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, but I want spinners on my wheels too ;-)

matrix looks good indeed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know nothing of cars other than where the key goes and that nails, screws etc in the tires are not so good. She is the car queen. I'm just the pilot. Oh and she said silly boys you'll never know who I am.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW-

I saw Kim Loeffler's Lucero up close while it was getting worked on at IMLP....sweet rig.

Kim and Hillary Biscaye looked the most impressive on the bike.
Very slippery and smooth.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL - well man enough to admit it.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a shocker! Do you have Mektronic on your bike? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my car (sort of) [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the mavic stuff that doesn't work? nope...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matrix is the best in your list

tried the A3, too small interior - smaller than Matrix

-g
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok now you have to post a pic or she does not exist - just the invisible woman
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my car (sort of) [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J....just DO NOT upset her.... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or I get punched, hard :-(

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mercedes C230 Kompressor...now hear me out here....

So, you are over your $20k number BUT...add it up over 5 years.

The Benz #1 can fit 2, yes 2 bikes in it (back seat and trunk)

You will get over 30mpg on the highway

100% of your service is paid for for 5 years, 50k - that is all oil, fliuds, brake pads / rotors, rotation, wiper blades - everything.

The Benz no question will retain a much higher resale value than that of your other options. So, you are actually spending less in the end (unless you are leasing and planning to just turn the car in).

Insurance is LOWER on my Benz than it is on any of my US cars, even of lesser value - State Farm said that it is a safty thing, and that the key in the Benz makes the car about impossible to steal.

So...for TOTAL COST of ownership, in 5 years a $30k car can cost much less than a $20k car.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Choose my car (sort of) [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTF would I pay $100K for a car??? it's just a car...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to go compact, may as well get a compact wagon so you still get some room.

I fail to understand the purpose of a trunk. Wagons seem so much more appropriate for real life.

We were searching and after ruling out an Element due to the gas mileage we ended up with a Jetta Wagon. There are two choices. The 2.0 4-cyl and the TDI (diesel). Both have about the same hp (less than most) and cost near $20k. If I could have found one at the time I would have bought the TDI (45mpg). They make a turbo 1.8L also for more $ and less mpg - didn't even consider one. We went with the Jetta Wagon because it seemed like the largest car that got 30mpg and was priced reasonable.

That said, I think the perfect triathlon car would be a hybrid Element. Surely that is just around the corner...

The Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe (same car) are good choices. Mazda (Protege?) 5 is another. I love Subarus, but they are getting expensive and the gas mileage is always a little short due to the AWD. Ford Focus wagon would be practical as heck, but surely not the most attractive/exciting car to own.

Not sure why you have ruled out hybrids, other than cost. They certainly aren't less powerful than their sister cars with standard engines. I just wish they (anyone) would come out with a wagon hybrid. Don't need to be jacked up in the air like the Escape or Highlander. Put the things back down on the ground with normal size tires and I'd be interested. An SUV is just a wagon with bad handling if you ask me.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$100k? Who said $100k?

(I would though...$126 actually ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Choose my car (sort of) [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I for one think that those damn Hybrids should be banned from the interstates, and any other road where you need to merge into 65+ mph traffic...they cant even get out of their own way. Then there is all the retraining for the Emergency folks to have to now deal with a new threat of acid leaking and more caustic materials in case of an accident.

They dont let Mopeds on I80, they shouldnt let cars with a top speed of 70 and 30 seconds to get there on the highway...(insight...LOL, insight into what?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mazda 3 wagon or Matrix. We're in the same situation (sorta) and that's what we've narrowed it down to.

*Your Mama*
Quote Reply

Prev Next