Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chlorine sensitive....
Quote | Reply
I've been having a chlorine sensitivity issue, or at least I think thats what it is. After every single pool swim without fail my sinuses get clogged (like a head cold).

It has happened in the past, but this year seems to be particularly bad and my head has been clogging up and staying that way for a day or more. Which means that swimming 3x per week its now like that most of the time.

I've tried a saline mist after swimming, which seems to help a little.

Anyone else heard of this problem? Any ideas on how to avoid it?

I'm thinking about trying a nose clip next to see if that will help.

Any thoughts or experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Russ
Quote Reply
Re: Chlorine sensitive.... [RJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Anyone else heard of this problem? Any ideas on how to avoid it? "

I have the exact same problem. I've noticed that after some swims it's worse than others. Perhaps this is related to higher chlorine levels at the time. I haven't found a solution yet. Hope somebody replies with one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the exact same problem when I started swimming last year after a 15-year layoff, with the added bonus of killer headaches. After reading a suggestion online (either here or on gordo's site), I bought a Speedo Competition nose clip (the kind without the head strap) and have had absolutely no problems since. It took a little getting used to, especially breathing only through the mouth, but it was worth it.

Dave in WI
-----------------------------------------------------
"What you once were isn't what you want to be anymore" - Wilco
Quote Reply
indoor or outdoor pool? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're swimming indoors, you might want to try an outdoor pool if you have one available to you. Outdoor pools have much lower concentrations of chemicals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem last year. I tried some regular nasal sprays with no good results. One day while discussing the problem with one of my swim buddies he said he had the same problem. He is a doctor and was using a spray called Nasacort and it was working great. He got me a sample and it worked great for me too. Just had to use it after swimming and the problem was gone. Unfortunately it's a prescription nasal spray containing a steroid. After the sample ran out he couldn't get any more for me and couldn't prescribe it either because he's an OB/GYN. I found a spray called NasalCrom sold over the counter at my local pharmacy and it works almost just as good. Pretty expensive but I don't need to use much and it beats having my head all congested.

I think some of the pools tend to use way more chlorine than needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem as well, a very stuffed up nose and itchy skin. I tried sprays and decongestants but to no avail. I got a nose clip (a simple wire type) and have had no problems since. They are a little challenging to get used to but well worth the benefits. I use body lotion after swimming and that knocks down the itching. Thank God our outdoor pool is opening Friday as the chlorine out there seems much less a problem.
Quote Reply