Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chiropractic and leg length
Quote | Reply
I have battled with a leg length discrepancy as long I have been involved in endurance sports. It is not actually a difference in bone length but rather a misalignment of my pelvis (sacrum and ilium) that causes my pelvis to tilt. I seem to be able to keep it in check with regular chiropractic adjustments. If I do not stay on top of it I develop problems on my right side. Does anyone else suffer from this? Do you have any other solutions to ether keep the joint in place or adjust it yourself?

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Re: Chiropractic and leg length [IAGLIYDW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IAGLIYDW wrote:
I have battled with a leg length discrepancy as long I have been involved in endurance sports. It is not actually a difference in bone length but rather a misalignment of my pelvis (sacrum and ilium) that causes my pelvis to tilt. I seem to be able to keep it in check with regular chiropractic adjustments. If I do not stay on top of it I develop problems on my right side. Does anyone else suffer from this? Do you have any other solutions to ether keep the joint in place or adjust it yourself?

Yes, same for me, but I've never found chiro to be of any benefit. I believe that these issues are muscle imbalances, and nothing a chiro does can change that IMHO. I think stretching, and various pelvic release exercies, strengthening, works better, but it is still something I struggle with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop going to the Chiro as they are treating your symptoms and not the cause of your dysfunction. Try this on a regular basis....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yn3wIDLq1M

Also, as the previous poster said, focus on stretching and core exercises. A strong core goes a long way to keeping your pelvis in check.
Quote Reply
Re: Chiropractic and leg length [tridude93] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your pelvis gets out of control that is big trouble.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffer from this too, my Chiro hates it as they don't like things out of alignment. As previously posted, regular stretches and my sports massage does more than the Chiro which would suggest it is muscular (also previously mentioned).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well best bet is if your Chiro understands that yes you can align it, but then you have to change the dynamic that is pulling it out in the first place. The good ones I have had understand this, and also prescribe some severe deep tissue massage and active release in the muscles that are pulling it out of whack..

Stretching and other balancing things could also be part of the package..

One thing to consider if you have not already, sometimes these imbalances can be from gaps either in your ankle, knee, or hips, or any combination of the 3. Only way to know is to X-ray them all and do a comparison. I have a small gap in each on one leg, thus have a 7mm leg length difference, one that Chrio's tried to even out for many, many years before I knew the truth about my length difference.. Just something to consider if you haven't already.
Quote Reply
Re: Chiropractic and leg length [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I've been dealing with this as well. Gave up on chiro and do strength and massage/stretching. This has reaped the best benefit for me.

Edit- Every time I have gone to chiro/ART guy they say my hips are out by 1"-1.75"
They adjust and I feel horrible for a week or so. Then I get back in and i'm better than when I saw them. Really discourages. Maybe my body is just built that way and I function best when i'm in "my" balance??
What do I know though???
I run on mostly pretty crowned roads where my right leg is prob a little higher(1"?) than my left so not surprising my hips might be a little misaligned? Been running against traffic for 15+ years. gotta adapt??
Last edited by: s.gentz: Mar 1, 18 15:43
Quote Reply
Re: Chiropractic and leg length [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
If your pelvis gets out of control that is big trouble.

Indeed. Just ask Elvis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have lengthy (prior) experience with chiropractors. Chiropractors have a vested interest in you never getting well. If you don't mind the money nor the visits, more power to you. However, I suggest you educate yourself and work around any problem areas. Most of us older athletes have learned to heal ourselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IAGLIYDW wrote:
I have battled with a leg length discrepancy as long I have been involved in endurance sports. It is not actually a difference in bone length but rather a misalignment of my pelvis (sacrum and ilium) that causes my pelvis to tilt.

If you are standing up straight, and your legs are the same length, then how can your pelvis tilt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you live in 2018 and someone tells you that your pelvis is out and that you need regular adjustments, they are snake oil salesmen. It's bullshit. They are taking your money to pop your joints for you. Pop your knuckles instead and send me the money, i'm pretty poor and triathlon is expensive.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply