Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chiro and neck
Quote | Reply
I've been seeing a chiro quite regularly for the past 7 years. About 2 months ago, running in France, I forgot that mud slips (not like we have much mud in El Paso), and took a spill while running on a patch of mud, didn't seem painful at the time but my neck has been bothering me since then. Got adjusted a couple of times after I came back to El Paso, but it's not getting any better. It doesn't hurt all the time, there is limited range of motion (without pain) when turning my left right or leaning right.

Should I go on seeing the chiro until it gets better? Try something else?

Nothing is broken considering how the pain starts.
Quote Reply
Re: Chiro and neck [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd start by consulting your doctor (GP). If you don't have a GP, now would be a dandy time to get one.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Chiro and neck [off242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if you have been seeing a chiro for several years what was the original problem? and why could they not fix it? what could you have done to fix the original problem? did all those adjustments cause a hypermobility issue with your neck, and thats why your introuble now?.

Step 1: find a good sports med doctor, get an assessment done to find out the problem, tell him about your past med history including going to the chiro, if you can take your med file with you to the sport med dr. The sport med dr should be able to get an xray and possable mri if needed done to fcome up with a diagnosis.

Step 2: The md will refer you to the oppropriate medical specialty to treat the cause of your problems if you need physio go see a proper qualified physiotherapist that does manual treatments (some will just stick a machine on you and walk away :( ), if it's soft tissue see a good massage therapist that is well trained and experianced with sports injuries ( some states have no regulation for massage therapists, some have 500 hrs, if your lucky your state will have more, in ontario therapists have a minamum of 2200hrs plus specialty courses we take on top of that). In texas the standard i believe is 200hrs of training!

If this doesnt get rid of, or make the problem better in 4 weeks go back to the md and ask more questions, ether the diagnosis was off, you are getting in effective tx, or the problem was worse than believed.

Step 3: what can you do on your own to prevent reoccurance? stretching, heat, posture at work or on the bike? all these things must be taken into account.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by: Balanced Living: Jan 19, 09 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: Chiro and neck [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you ask your chiro for:

1) A diagnosis
2) A treatment plan
3) Expected number of visits until resolution
4) Outcome measures to be used
5) Techniques used to treat the complaint

Once you can provide us with the pertinent information, we can better assess weather you are wasting your time and money going there.

In the meantime, you should also consult a sports MD for their opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Chiro and neck [Supermartin73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, I would seek medical treatment. I'm skeptical about chiros since their treatment is mostly reactionary to a problem. Adjustments won't help if the underlying cause isn't treated.
Quote Reply
Re: Chiro and neck [Joonstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL-you can say the same about Medical Doctors, Lawyers, Policemen........reactionary to a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Chiro and neck [Joonstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen a chiro for years, not on a regular basis, just for a few issues...I occasionally get problems with my crural nerve.

Sport Dr. treatment: take ibuprofen until the pain goes away
Chiro: small adjustment in the hips. 2hrs later, pain gone

I'm not asking this to start yet another thread on the efficacy of chiropractors. Just like doctors, some are good, some are bad.

I know some folks here are chiropractors, and you don't want to use adjustments too often. Neck issue started about 2 weeks ago consecutive to my fall I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Chiro and neck [Supermartin73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think any of the three you've mentioned are as "unprophylactic" as chiros, especially police officers.
How are adjustments going to help if the underlying problem isn't addressed? Anyways, this isn't the purpose of the original thread, pm if you want to discuss further
Quote Reply