Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chicago Ohio St Beach Swimming into the Fall
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to open water swimming. This was my first year swimming at Ohio St beach and I only had time for a few swims before Labor Day. I'm not ready to be done with it for the year so I have questions:

1. How late into Fall do you guys swim? If based on water temp, how low can you go with a wetsuit? Right now I think it's reading 65 degrees.
2. Do they have lockers year round?
3. During the summer, it's my understanding that you want to get your swim in before the beach opens and the lifeguards are out (or maybe that's just a crowd avoidance?). Is there any hassle going midday in the fall?
4. Are there usually other swimmers during the week or mainly just on weekends?

Entering races to force myself to get off the couch.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Ohio St Beach Swimming into the Fall [TriNotToDie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. How late into Fall do you guys swim? If based on water temp, how low can you go with a wetsuit? Right now I think it's reading 65 degrees.
- Ive been in there when it was 55 and that was pretty bad. I wouldnt go any lower than that.
- Dont think so but could be wrong. I moved last year and the fall before that they were redoing that area.
3. During the summer, it's my understanding that you want to get your swim in before the beach opens and the lifeguards are out (or maybe that's just a crowd avoidance?).
Is there any hassle going midday in the fall?
- Midday usually people arent there. I used to go during lunch and it was fine. Even after work it was fine. Usually less people tend to go since the season is wrapping up. Also keep in mind that the water might be choppy.
- Yeah, usually a few people out there but not as many as the summer.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Ohio St Beach Swimming into the Fall [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tsdogma wrote:
- Dont think so but could be wrong. I moved last year and the fall before that they were redoing that area.

I don't think they take away the lockers. That area was recently expanded to include more lockers, so I think you're fine. I know some people surf (not sure where), so it is likely available year round.

tsdogma wrote:
3. During the summer, it's my understanding that you want to get your swim in before the beach opens and the lifeguards are out (or maybe that's just a crowd avoidance?).
- Midday usually people arent there. I used to go during lunch and it was fine. Even after work it was fine. Usually less people tend to go since the season is wrapping up. Also keep in mind that the water might be choppy.

Partly crowd avoidance / partly time / partly avoiding lifeguards & rules (i.e., allowing someone with a SUP board to paddle next to you for company/safety, which the lifeguards don't allow).
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Ohio St Beach Swimming into the Fall [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo526 wrote:
tsdogma wrote:

I don't think they take away the lockers. That area was recently expanded to include more lockers, so I think you're fine. I know some people surf (not sure where), so it is likely available year round.

tsdogma wrote:

Partly crowd avoidance / partly time / partly avoiding lifeguards & rules (i.e., allowing someone with a SUP board to paddle next to you for company/safety, which the lifeguards don't allow).

Incorrect - in recent years they take the lockers out around this time in the fall.
- correct More lockers have been added

In recent years 2017/18 I've been having trouble getting a locker w/out having to wait in a line for 10-20 min. I can remember 5 years ago I never had to wait for a locker.
Swim in the mornings because you have a higher chance of the the water being glass and the lifeguards are not there to tell you to turn around at the 1/2 mile mark.

Lifeguards are only present Memorial day to Labor day 11-7pm

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriNotToDie wrote:
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to open water swimming. This was my first year swimming at Ohio St beach and I only had time for a few swims before Labor Day. I'm not ready to be done with it for the year so I have questions:

3. During the summer, it's my understanding that you want to get your swim in before the beach opens and the lifeguards are out (or maybe that's just a crowd avoidance?). Is there any hassle going midday in the fall?

Just to add to what was already mentioned, there could be tri clubs who do OWS during the week. CES does there's on Thursday evenings, I believe.

I also did do a couple of swims after Labor Day since I was prepping for IMAZ last year. I think my last swim was early October, and I remember being able to use a locker. My plan B though (in case no lockers available) is just to leave everything in my mesh bag on my bike and take the bike key with me during the swim. I would only have a towel, shorts, shirt, and sandals, so I wasn't worried if it was stolen. I never had an issue, but I only had to do that once when I had a 30min swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam on Saturday around noon and lockers were still up. There were only a handful of swimmers. Water felt great at around 66F.
Regarding lifeguards, they are there from Memorial to Labor Day. I think starting around 9AM. They will tell you to turn around around 0.5 miles, around the last ladder or when the running/bike path starts to curve. There used to be buoys at 0.25 and 0.5 miles, but I'm not sure why they don't put them up anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Ohio St Beach Swimming into the Fall [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info. Looks like this weekend is looking ugly.

Entering races to force myself to get off the couch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe you got most of your answers in the above posts but I wanted to share this group with you in case you haven't found them yet: Open Water Chicago (http://openwaterchicago.com/). The swim year round so if you are looking for company in the "off season" these folks may be just what you are looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lockers aren't going anywhere. The only reason they were out for a while last year was because they were installing the new ones and it takes forever for things to get done in this city. The bike path "flyover" at Ohio St. has been under construction for four years.

Wednesday was the first time I've ever swum without a wetsuit in October. This whole year has been unusually warm in the lake. It never got into the 80s like it does some years, but we didn't have any of those "flips" where it dips into the 50s in the middle of summer. Most stable water temps in the 15+ years I've been swimming in the lake.

The reason to get out before the guards in the summer is so that you can swim past the curve where the seawall bends toward Oak Street. From there you can swim all the way up to Castaways near North Ave Beach. It's a nearly perfect 5K from Ohio St to Castaways and back.

I'll be out there every afternoon until it hits 52, which is my breaking point where even a thermal wetsuit and cap won't cut it. Hopefully this is the first year I'm swimming open water on November 1st.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Ohio St Beach Swimming into the Fall [BradC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen the city remove the lockers in for winter before the flyover construction started.

Grow with data: Dynamic Sports Data | eBay store
Quote Reply