Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Check out this saddle adjustability
Quote | Reply
I was poking around their site, and it looks like Selle San Marco has been working on another interesting saddle concept. This might excite some of you fans of the seat shifter. This saddle is part of their successful Era line and can "shift" on the fly (7cm of travel). The mechanism is built into the saddle rails. I wonder how well this product will do. The obvious drawback I see to this vs something like the seat shifter is that you cannot choose whatever saddle you want in this configuration.

http://www.sellesanmarco.com/erar1.html
Quote Reply
Re: Check out this saddle adjustability [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden it. theoretically you can adjust on the fly, but I tried for about 2 seconds before I worried about crashing because I was not concentrating on the road. You can hop off and adjust in seconds. I like a saddle with a hole in the middle, so I didn't use it for more than a couple days, but if the saddle is right for you it could be a great way to experiment with saddle position.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Check out this saddle adjustability [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting but of dubious value in the real world IMHO. I kind of think, gee, if you need this much adjustment does your bike really fit right? Would be good for experimentation on a Compu-Trainer. Not a bad fit tool either for setting someone up.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Check out this saddle adjustability [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill give a report on the M2 Racer Power Module seat shifter once the snow melts. I would like to test it on my Giant TCR-1. Should be able to get between
74-76 degrees with this. I can see it on a hilly course. Ride shallow up/down the hills and steep on the flats while shifting on the fly. In theory this sounds good. Will have to test it to see how it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
Many times i've found myself after 45 miles into a road race as comfortable as you can be considering the circumstace.All of a sudden the hammer goes down and I find myself on the nose of the saddle.My question, is it possible for ones best position to change over 112 miles?You can come with all sorts of possible reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely agree, Tom. I simply mentioned it as there are many here who have expressed significant interest in the seat shifter idea. I think that many components like this saddle, the Ergostem, and adjustable aerobars are great for working on setting up a fit. Beyond that I see little value. I'd rather be racing on properly sized and sturdy components that have no chance of coming out of the desired adjustment setting by virtue of the fact that such adjustments simply aren't possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Check out this saddle adjustability [Cullen Watkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Cullen and Cerveloguy, for Cullen's question: IMHO and this is basically a SWAG, Yes, a person's optimal geometry relative to the hips over bottom bracket does change and is dynamic during a 112 mile ride. As muscles fatigue the body may shift in position to place a greater reliance on other muscle groups, thus relocating your best spot on the saddle over the bottom bracket. Is this an arguement for a "variable geometry seatpost"? No, I don't think so. For Cerveloguy- are you concerned that as yoou change the position of your seat over the bottom bracket that this will also adversly effect your reach measurement? Is this a case of replacing one problem with another? I wonder- I don't know. The conservative in me argues toward a fixed position for the saddle of optimal orientation with some degree of re-posturing available while riding.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never try an adjustable saddle.I like the way the nose of my saddle feels way to much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
disturbing. :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe spending to much time with D. Klein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"For Cerveloguy- are you concerned that as yoou change the position of your seat over the bottom bracket that this will also adversly effect your reach measurement?"

The TCR is fitted medium size Syntace C2 bars. I 've used the Syntace's when I've ran in fixed 75/76 degree position and in the 73/74 degree roadie position. I also have Profile Jammer GT's used at 74 degrees or also a "big slam" position that I've experimented with. Using the Syntace's at 74 degrees I find by grabbing them short just before the handle rise they are about the same length as the Profile GT's. With the seat shifter in the shallow 74 degree position I'll grab the Syntace bars short and shift further onto the grips at 76 degrees. This seems to compensate for reach measurement with the seat shifter positions. I've rode the TCR at 76 degrees before and it feels resonably stable, much more so than at 78 degrees on a Profile forward post. I've set this up now on the trainer with the seat shifter and it feels quite good.

Now realize that I am not at all suggesting this is the way to setup a tri bike. It is a huge compromise because the TCR is a road bike to begin with. I'm just trying this out as an experiment to see how the M2 Racer seat racer actually works and if it has any real value. If not, then it'll be on ebay for sale fairly quickly.

There is one 30 kms sprint course in particular that I am thinking about with this experiment. Lots of hills with steep climbs and fast curvey descents as well as some flats. For this course I don't think a fixed 78 degrees would be optimum.

Anyways, the M2 Racer seat racer is just a forty dollar experiment that I want to have some fun with. It seems to me that a variable position on the bike to compensate for changing terrain is an interesting idea. I'll have some fun experimenting and will post my impression once the snow melts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible. Tell Dan K. I said, "Wassup!?!"

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply