Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Check out my roller table-step-rail jawn
Quote | Reply

I'm putting the finishing touches on my roller side table step rail jawn. It has three features:

1. a large hand rail for stability getting on and off (higher and easier to grab than the back of a chair)
2. a large step to make getting on and off the bike easy
3. a holder for towel, remote, etc in an easy to access location.

Tomorrow I plan to make a laptop stand (been using a bar stool but would be nice to have it higher) and then paint them both. Having just done a quick 5 minute ride it's really nice having things out of the way but in an easy to reach spot. It's no Wahoo desk, but...

ETA: (trying to get pics rotated right).
Last edited by: brando: Dec 29, 18 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Check out my roller table-step-rail jawn [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice, you are quite the carpenter!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't tell - is it also connected to the frame, so that if you take a fall to the right the whole contraption doesn't go over with you?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very ingenious setup!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Check out my roller table-step-rail jawn [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea - no, it's freestanding, so if I fall to that side, I'm taking it down with me.

BTW I haven't used it recently as I've been 100% on the smarttrainer for a while, but this is a good reminder to get back on the rollers - thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great setup! As someone who only has a trainer and came from a swimming background I'm struggling with riding 1-handed and no-handed on my bike, as well as drinking from aero position. Would rollers be a good place to practice this (since you theoretically have something nearby to grab on to)?

I can do the necessities: reach in pockets, grab bottles, refill aero bottle, adjust helmet and take glasses on and off. I just can't ride around with no hands taking phone calls and eating sandwhiches at the same time like some cyclists do...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice.

I made just a step 20 years ago for my rollers. Might I suggest some type of carpet or other non-slip surface for the "step". Plain-ole-wood can be pretty slick with road cleats. Having your standing foot slip while you leg-over the bike isn't much fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Check out my roller table-step-rail jawn [Squidly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding rollers can definitely improve your comfort and familiarity with your bike and position, and/or show you where you might have a problem (rough pedaling, too much drop, etc). It's a better place to practice the things that are challenging than the static trainer, and it's even better to practice those things in real world conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find your use of "jawn" distasteful, unless you're from around here

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice!
Maybe a small piece of quarter round or something along the edges of the remote/towel/water bottle/thing-a-ma-jig holder to keep items from inadvertently being pushed off
Quote Reply
Re: Check out my roller table-step-rail jawn [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea. I also ended up turning the high table straight in line with the rail - having it out front was kind of annoying.

Here is the laptop stand which i have been using more than the roller thing since I have mostly been doing the trainer.

It gets the computer up to a nice height, I can pull it close in over the front wheel to reach the keyboard, I have a cubby for my fan remote and snacks, and I put a coat hook on the side to hold towels and stuff.
Quote Reply