Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
There was that article a few years back where athletes were anonymously polled after an Ironman event. I know it was in Europe, Germany maybe, and the number that admitted doping was 1/6 or 1/7. Sorry I don't remember the exact details and don't feel like searching for it.

That's over in Europe where T clinics and usage are nowhere near as prevalent as in the USA.

Maybe I'm with Herbert that it's 10% across the entire AG field, maybe it's less, but it's probably higher in the M35+ AGs and the pointy end of those AGs is very suspect, IMO.

40% drafting. I don't think it's anywhere close to that. I'm talking willful and blatant drafting. Not the I was in someone's draft zone for a bit too long at some point in the race. Then it would be 100%. :-)

5% cheating otherwise. I don't think it's that close either.

The study had a wide definition of "doping" and distinguished between physical doping (which is pretty much what we are talking about in this thread) and mental doping (what???!!). The 13% figure is pretty close to Herbert's guess. The study was based on 2997 triathletes at IM Regensburg, IM Frankfurt, and IM70.3 Weisbaden. However, if only the IM Frankfurt European Championship results are considered, then physical doping was 20% meaning that the other 2 events were probably about 10% or less. We could also infer that a greater number of cheaters are at Kona than at non-championship venues.

13% admitted to physical doping; Steroids, EPO, Human growth hormone, etc
15% admitted to cognitive doping; antidepressants, beta-blockers, modafinil, methylphenidate, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to do an experiment, put a turnaround point on the run course of a triathlon course that says, "Legal Course-Cutting Turnaround Point" then 10 yards up put the "Legit Turnaround Point". I bet more than 50% would not take the latter, then tack on 2 minute penalty to all the cheaters.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's actually a cool idea. But I think you've got to do 50 yards or even 100 yards to make it more interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Jhanley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the point of your post?

Jhanley wrote:
Jhanley wrote:
What is the point of this post?
I could say the same to you

Sorry?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
That's actually a cool idea. But I think you've got to do 50 yards or even 100 yards to make it more interesting.

I think at 50-100 yards you may get closer to 60% cheaters. LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point of my post is that I'm curious what you are trying to get out of asking the question you did. Is there something to be gained by asking a question with no possible answer? Is it to make people feel good who didn't get there Kona slot this year but at least they didn't cheat? Or maybe you have some type of data you'll release that can give us an estimate on how many dopers there are out there and you're just getting a feel for what people think before you release the data.

Herbert wrote:
What is the point of your post?

Jhanley wrote:
Jhanley wrote:
What is the point of this post?
I could say the same to you

Sorry?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Jhanley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said nothing about Kona - not did I point fingers. That question has often come to me and so I finally shared it
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Herbert wrote:
Based on TheStroBro's argument I guess doping is not cheating either - because there is a penalty. WTF

I think the point Strobro is trying to make, and I'm not convinced I agree though I can see his argument, is better expressed through an analogy to basketball:

If you make contact with a player whilst he is shooting, you have committed a penalty, and a penalty shot is awarded. Although that contact is not allowed it is viewed as a strategic part of the game, and certainly isn't considered to be cheating. However, grab hold of the player whilst he is shooting and push him over whilst he is shooting and you are ejected from the court (for cheating?). I think Strobro is saying that since we punish drafting with a penalty of 5 mins, not ejection/DQ/etc then drafting is analogous to making contact with a player whilst shooting. Is that cheating - I think that's a moral call that everyone is entitled to make their own decision on.

I think the NHL and Ice Hockey break infractions down the best:

• Minor penalties - Ironman equivalent of the yellow card, 30 seconds in the sin bin. Examples: Blocking, charging, obstruction, helmet not worn properly, and mounting the bike before the mount line.
  • Major penalties - Ironman equivalent of the blue card, 5 mins in the sin bin. Examples: The drafting violations on the bike.
  • Game misconduct penalties/ Misconduct penalties - Ironman equivalent of a red card or a minor penalty or disqualification. These are at the discretion of the officials sometimes and sometimes are a hard penalty. Examples: Course cutting, abuse of an official.
  • Match penalties/Gross misconduct penalty - Ironman equivalent of a DQ plus additional suspension. Examples: Tampering with someones bike equipment could lead to something like this as you are causing serious potential harm. Racing drunk.
  • Substance abuse violations/Suspension: Ironman equivalent is exactly reflective of what the NHL does, suspension: Examples: Doping, substance abuse.

We should look at each infraction on the level of what it is. I don't think worse of Sidney Crosby becasue he got a slashing minor or fighting major. I would think less of him if he got a game misconduct for boarding...depending on how it went down. If he received a match penalty for biting or received a gross misconduct penalty for showing up to a game drunk...I would be very disappointed in him. Substance abuse is a personal issue that I would hope he could find help for...doping, this is asterisk territory.

EDIT: USA Hockey Level 4 certified coach (Lifetime level)

Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 27, 18 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Accolades + sustained competitiveness + increased virility meets expendable income?

Who’da thunk it?

40+, I think your first figure is low (for the top %-age of the AG. I just don’t see how some of the physiques and performances I see are natural. I think your number might be right for the overall, but low for the top 25% of some (at least male) AGs.

Gotta agree with your assessment. At 44, I'm shocked when I see guys in my age group somehow getting younger. I think that somewhere around my age is where a lot of dudes start taking testosterone, HGH, Etc. Not necessarily for Triathlon, just because they miss being 30.

Or maybe I'm just jealous because no matter how hard I flog myself, I don't look like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
TriRugby wrote:
RobInOz wrote:

Ignoring offences like urinating on the bike

I thought you were supposed to pee on the bike? Pink (or is it?)

yellow with a pinkish tint

Beet juice'll do that
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Asker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asker wrote:
I wouldn't be able to guess, and your guess is as good as mine :)

With that said, I don't race against any of you, even when I race. I race against myself. I'm not looking for a podium finish or Kona slot. I'm looking forward to challenging my mind and body to do what seems impossible. I'm a mid pack racer (goals of sub 12hr), and there's no need for me to take any type of item that would risk my health to gain a few minutes on the course. This is for bragging rights 30 years from now when I'm 75, not for Thanksgiving / Christmas bragging rights with extended family / friends in 2018.

As it relates to drafting.... 40% seems high, but as a swimmer who exits mid pack, the first 20 miles is busy, and causes course congestion. Do "I" draft? No, not intentionally. Are there people within 30 feet of each other? Yes, it's impossible (I think) to string out separation of 30 feet between people during the 1st portion of the race for those exiting mid-pack swimming. I was recently in a race where somebody latched onto my rear tire for 10 miles, and that was not the norm, and after a couple of warnings for him to back off, I held out my hand to the next moped / course marshal to capture his race #. Again, not normal, and hope to think that it's far less than 40%. But, even it if is, I can only control MY race and MY actions. At the end of the day (end of the race), I don't care if they beat me by 10 minutes or more. And, unless you're at the point where you're looking for Kona slot or some podium, I'm not sure why others care when others beat them by a few minutes.

Ironman is bigger than a race against people. For me, it's a race against myself and my own demons, limitations, abilities, and skills.

(Note: I fully understand that others might have serious disagreements with my post. That's fine. We're all doing this for different reasons, and I'm willing to share my motivations for doing this as a mid-pack middle-aged guy trying to live a little longer and a little healthier than if I were to be watching football, drinking beer, and talking about my high school glory days)

That's cool you race against yourself. If I did that, I would always lose.

I'm over the hill. Old, getting older, which is better than dying I guess. However, I'm not ever going to be as fast as I was, so I have to race against others otherwise I'll always lose. Nobody likes losing all the time, right?

So I don't really feel like racing against other guys that aren't on the same clock as I am because they're doping
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a retail operations work environment we acknowledged* that about 10% of the workforce never stole from the stores. And a similar 10% figure of the work force always stole from the stores. The remaining 80% of the workforce stole when given an opportunity combined with a personal need. The same percentages also played out for vendor personnel and customers. In racing the opportunities would include lack of enforcement of thorough drug testing, drafting violations, inspecting race equipment (e-motors, 5+mm thick wetsuits, positive float non-wetsuit swim gear, etc.) for rule compliance, and what-not. The need could be money, prizes, self-esteem, acknowledgement from others, etc. RD's, race officials, sponsors, volunteers, and racers handle the levers of limiting opportunities of cheating by increasing enforcement at any race or increasing opportunities for cheating by ignoring with non-enforcement of rules or not doing anything. Racers control their own levels of needs. Though participants and others in the sport can greatly influence the culture of what we accept as opportunities and wants.

Racing is probably not too different in percentages than retail. Different opportunities and different need combinations will drive the 80% to race clean to the rules or cheat to their wants. The 10% of ideal of role models will not change much nor the 10% of non-role models. Probably doesn't change whether for full distance races or local sprints. The needs for the middle and how well the opportunities are managed or ignored will provide the majority 80% to choose which direction they want to go.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/feed
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tri-50-states

*never saw the study and its actual results. But we managed to it as urban legend...……….
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
I would like to do an experiment, put a turnaround point on the run course of a triathlon course that says, "Legal Course-Cutting Turnaround Point" then 10 yards up put the "Legit Turnaround Point". I bet more than 50% would not take the latter, then tack on 2 minute penalty to all the cheaters.

If it's "Legal" it's not cheating though.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

I'm over the hill. Old, getting older, which is better than dying I guess. However, I'm not ever going to be as fast as I was, so I have to race against others otherwise I'll always lose. Nobody likes losing all the time, right?

So I don't really feel like racing against other guys that aren't on the same clock as I am because they're doping

OK.... Interesting perspective. Not sure whether you podium or finish mid-pack. I understand people are driven different than I am, and I hope I never walk into the water any time in the future with a burning desire to beat X, Y, or Z. I'm surprised people care about others if you're mid-pack or finish off podium.... And I presume that many of 'us' are off podium athletes who still strive to be as fast as we can be.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stevej wrote:
DBF wrote:
No way 10% dope and probably "only" testosterone for the one who do. I have won a few IM events clean and I am not a genetic freak by any measure. My competitors doping is not something I worry about. Nobody is doing EPO.
Drafting is higher than 40% at most races. Kona is the worst if you count borderline legal drafting. Lange drafted the whole race AGers in Kona draft a lot like the pros in Kona.

Nobody? AG triathlete that qualified for kona 2018. Was tested the day before his qualifying race. https://www.usada.org/...ves-doping-sanction/

IIRC, he's in your AG; did you do that race??? Did you beat the dirty rotten doper???

I did do that race but he got me by 90 seconds or so. He started several minutes behind me and due to the rolling start, I never saw him or knew he was coming. He ran the fastest marathon of the day and ran me down in the last 2 miles or so.

Wow, in the last two miles...so i'll bet you were pretty happy when he got caught for the doping. How far ahead of him were you on the swim and bike??? Looking at the final results, i see that his name has disappeared but they did not elevate you from 8th to 7th OA and from 3rd to 2nd in your AG; i guess the computer programmers don't have an easy way to do this w/o having to manually update all of the roughly 3000 people below you in the results. In any case, very impressive race on your part!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Wow, in the last two miles...so i'll bet you were pretty happy when he got caught for the doping. How far ahead of him were you on the swim and bike??? Looking at the final results, i see that his name has disappeared but they did not elevate you from 8th to 7th OA and from 3rd to 2nd in your AG; i guess the computer programmers don't have an easy way to do this w/o having to manually update all of the roughly 3000 people below you in the results. In any case, very impressive race on your part!!!

I wouldn't say I was happy. More shocked, upset, angry, and confused than anything. Took me a few days to gather my thoughts on it. I do believe there is more to the story and to IMFL race specifically. I'll just leave it at that though.

He still shows up in the results on sportstats:

https://www.sportstats.ca/...s.xhtml?raceid=47309

Tri-excuse forthcoming: It didn't help that I stopped 4 times on the bike due to an issue with my FD. Cost me ~15 minutes or so on the bike.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I wouldn't say I was happy. More shocked, upset, angry, and confused than anything. Took me a few days to gather my thoughts on it. I do believe there is more to the story and to IMFL race specifically. I'll just leave it at that though.
He still shows up in the results on sportstats:
https://www.sportstats.ca/...s.xhtml?raceid=47309
Tri-excuse forthcoming: It didn't help that I stopped 4 times on the bike due to an issue with my FD. Cost me ~15 minutes or so on the bike.

I hate mechanicals and flat tires on the bike, just hate them. You could've been 3rd OA if not for that 15 min. That's a real bummer.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Asker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asker wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

OK.... Interesting perspective. Not sure whether you podium or finish mid-pack. I understand people are driven different than I am, and I hope I never walk into the water any time in the future with a burning desire to beat X, Y, or Z. I'm surprised people care about others if you're mid-pack or finish off podium.... And I presume that many of 'us' are off podium athletes who still strive to be as fast as we can be.

Me? Im one of those guys that can be the edge of the podium if I'm having a good day.. meaning that meaning that if my age group is small, I have a solid shot, if it's a sold out m-dot race, my chances go down. Typical race in my area is about a hundred in my AG which often lands me in 3rd-7th.

I see the same group of "fast" (for my age group) people at most every local race I go to, which is pretty cool, because it gives me a real metric of how I'm doing, and allows us to really race each other, even if we can't compete with the young studs who win the race overall.

On a level field, it's awesome to race. Guys doping ruin that. If there really are 10 plus percent of people doping, which I'm starting to believe is an underestimation for men in their 40s and up, it makes me not to want even bother to pay to race anymore. Might as well just go out with my friends on Sundays on group ride and we can flog each other up hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might as well just go out with my friends on Sundays on group ride and we can flog each other up hills. //

I believe that at least 10% of your friends you train with are doping too, best to just ride your bike indoors on the trainer, and hope you dont get a pizza delivery guy who is into crossfit... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Might as well just go out with my friends on Sundays on group ride and we can flog each other up hills. //

I believe that at least 10% of your friends you train with are doping too, best to just ride your bike indoors on the trainer, and hope you dont get a pizza delivery guy who is into crossfit... (-;

you joke but there's always some shady stuff at Saturday worlds

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

it's even easier to 'dope' on zwift...re: training indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't read the study, because tbh I'm too lazy to look it up, but if it was just a voluntary exit poll as it's referenced as then the results aren't statistically significant and you can't draw conclusions based off it
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
I didn't read the study, because tbh I'm too lazy to look it up, but if it was just a voluntary exit poll as it's referenced as then the results aren't statistically significant and you can't draw conclusions based off it

People tend to overstate positive things in such polls, and understate negative things about themselves. So while that poll is not great,

1. It is the best we have and,
2. Actual doping rates are likely higher.

After all, to be lower than in actual fact you would have to have more people saying they doped (who actually did not) than people who actually doped (but were not willing to admit it). That seems unlikely.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless it was a proper random sample, which an exit poll isn't, you can't draw conclusions about it. The population sampled isn't representative of the population as a whole, therefore they could have had a higher percentage of people who dope. There's no way to know.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
The mental acrobatics people on this thread go through to make up low numbers for the % of dopers (who knew there is “technical, moral, medical, inefficient etc. doping”) is silly but unfortunately just exactly a reflection of reality. Pathetic.

There is only one form of doping:
The illegal one. No IF and BUT.
This thread shows again that less and less Tri-sters care about a true athletic competition.

SAD.

I wish I lived in your black/white world. Possibly the rest of us understand that these issues are somewhat more complex. For instance, it's hard to justify that some random person competing in a triathlon has to meet Olympic level qualifications/testing when it comes to the medicines they take. Most athletes simply don't put that much time and studying into doing a race. They train a little and have fun. If the doctor prescribed meds that also happen to be banned it's easy for them to say that they aren't taking it for doping purposes, but just for health. Hence, in their mind, there is no issue. That isn't a totally invalid argument either. How many sports require such stringent testing to go out a do a weekend race? Triathlon and cycling is pretty much it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next