Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
laughingfarmer wrote:
At least 90% of the people who beat me :-)

No response will be better than this one, close thread!

These two responses are just childish nonsense...

10% doping is actually low IMO, if you look at how many AGs "supplement" with "health" products most Pros won't touch.
Hormone precursors and all the gym-rat variety of supplements of unknown quality that do providing noticeable "gain".
So maybe 10% KNOW they take something that may pop them if they are not careful.
And probably another 10% that had been "crossing" over from strength/body-building/fitness scene, where supplements are considered part of the culture.

40% drafting sounds about ballpark...Not happening for all or at the same time, but half of the field drafting during an IM race at one time point or another is a reasonable number.

The 5% cheating otherwise not sure...I think that may be on the high side.
Given the great logistics of Ironman(R) races with plenty of timing mats.....still need whistle blowers, though.

Looks like your sarcasm meter is broken.....
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It includes course cutting (including swimming inside corner buoys), motors, blocking others, illegal assistance as in feeding by friends and pacing, and other items we can't think of.

But as I said, I was asked to estimate :-)

SBRcanuck wrote:
- At least 5% of all age groupers in IRONMAN cheat otherwise
As mentioned, if this -doesn't- include peeing, then I too think it is high. But maybe I am missing other ways that people cheat? I don't think many people try to, or are able to, cut course. Littering maybe? Accepting handouts (food or otherwise) from family members?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Someone earlier today asked me how much cheating there is in IRONMAN racing and I suggested the following numbers.

- At least 10% of all age groupers in IRONMAN dope
- At least 40% of all age groupers in IRONMAN draft willingly regularly

These numbers however are not mutually exclusive.

What say you?

Herbert, I have not done an IM race in 3 years, but watched a few.

Let's start with willingly drafting.

I think the answer to this is <10%. It may visually look like a lot, but it's not almost half of the field. There would be 30% more who would situationally be drafting out of T1, but after a while they try to ride clean.

In terms of doping, it's a "don't care". Sure 10% may dope with stuff like T to look better and have more sex, but since only 3 get on the podium, it only matters if those dopers end up in the top 10. Largely we can't control what hobby athletes do to cheat themselves.

5% who cheat otherwise may be a bit high, but may not. Marc Roy at one point said they DQ around 20 people in most IM's that we never hear about. That's 1%, but those are the people getting caught. You may be bang on that 4% more get away with it.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think far more would cheat if they knew they wouldn't get caught.

If you took away drug tests, eliminated Marshalls and had no one with cell phones or cameras, there would be far more trying to break the rules to improve their time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I really spent the time to train right I could probably break 9:00.

(get it, I'm cheating in my....estimation?)
Last edited by: trail: Aug 26, 18 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
. Nobody is doing EPO.

Someone was popped for EPO at the 2017 IM Florida

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Someone earlier today asked me how much cheating there is in IRONMAN racing and I suggested the following numbers.

What say you?

Does "doping" include people who take banned substances for improving performance AND people who take legally/morally prescribed medications for medical conditions that also happen to be banned? I would think separating these two groups would lower the numbers of the doping for speed category substantially.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert, these numbers are #fakenews. They're way, way inflated.

For the total number of all athletes who have ever completed an Ironman, a fraction of less than 1% have doped. For the total number of athletes who are Top Ager's it's likelt higher, but I believe it's still a very low single percentage number.

For drafting the numbers are obviously going to be higher. But from my on-course experience of doing 5 Ironmans, all in North America, again it's a very low single percentage of athletes that are purposefully drafting all race as a strategy. This is based off seeing Top Ag'ers on out & back course, and seeing regular MOP'ers all around me.

Man by Nature is Good. The triathlete who purposefully dopes/drafts/cheats is the outlier.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purposely drafting does not only mean arriving at the venue with the plan to draft, it also includes all who see a peloton or group coming by and then deciding to also jump on.

As for doping that includes inhalers not properly prescribed and various pills from GNC to seek an edge. Be it actually helpful or not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are these wonder pills from GNC that people speak of? I've been around awhile, and other than caffeine/niacin/B12, I'm not aware of any over-the-counter GNC type pills that would give anyone, anything more than a stomach ache. I've been racing since the 70's, and if there was such a thing, folks would have their pockets stuffed with them, at the races. I just haven't seen it. Links to products and brand names would be helpful. What about the pre-workout muscle pump stuff, the bodybuilders use?

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

For the total number of all athletes who have ever completed an Ironman, a fraction of less than 1% have doped. For the total number of athletes who are Top Ager's it's likelt higher, but I believe it's still a very low single percentage number.

you're entitled to your own opinion, but you sound awfully certain - what's this based on?

again, the research that's been done supports the 10-15% range for age groupers at ironman.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long is a piece of rope?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

If this were accurate, I too think it includes products that people don't even know are illegal and/or make very little difference. I also agree with those that say EPO is -not- common among AG'ers. It is not -that- easy to get, it is very expensive, it is dangerous if stored incorrectly, it is dangerous if too much used. I find it very hard to believe that even 1% of AG'ers use it. Yes I know there have been 'studies', but correct me if I'm wrong, those 'studies' are based on volunteer responses from a sample of people, hardly scientific.

what makes the studies "hardly scientific?" they used well-validated methods and were peer-reviewed.

if EPO is too expensive and dangerous, what about testosterone, HGH, anabolics, cortisone, puffers, andro, etc. . .

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

What say you?

Let's break this down...10% on doping seems low to me. Everytime there's a trophy someone is going to cheat.

The drafting bit is a throw-away comment. Drafting is a penalty, therefore no cheating. Think a technical foul in Basketball or a yellow card in rugby. In fact anything you get a time penalty for is not cheating, it's what we call a penalty.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
I get that we triathletes are a delusional bunch, but seriously who would be dumb enough to spend money on something that certainly wont help your body in the long run
for nothing more than say, dropping from 5:10 to 3:55 in a 70.3. Of course there are some people that will but no way it amounts to more than .1% of triathletes. Ill say that the other .9% are the pointy tippers getting the edge.

Also to clarify, by doping, I mean real advantageous drugs, not some supplement that is technically banned but not doing anything.

Do you really think this large drop would occur with the best drugs??? That seems huge to me, i have always thought EPO or the like might take a person from say 4:30 to 4:05 but that is as big of a drop as i can imagine.

you should read this article:

https://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test

the upshot is that good drugs don't just give you a little edge. they put you in a different ballpark altogether.

Actually, i have read that article before but hads forgotten about it. It seems to me that the problem with that article is that the author did not really quantify his gains. If he had done say a 100 mi TT before the drugs and then after, we'd have a much better feel for his gains. Not sure why he did not do a more quantitative test.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The penalties are not properly applied, nor are they tough enough. It is well known that drafting a long time in a race is easily faster even with a penalty tent session. Plus the legs are fresher. It is cheating.

TheStroBro wrote:
Herbert wrote:

What say you?

Let's break this down...10% on doping seems low to me. Everytime there's a trophy someone is going to cheat.

The drafting bit is a throw-away comment. Drafting is a penalty, therefore no cheating. Think a technical foul in Basketball or a yellow card in rugby. In fact anything you get a time penalty for is not cheating, it's what we call a penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he stopped wearing eyeglasses. old scars healed. without lifting, in his late 40s, he gained 12 pounds of muscle while cutting fat. he comes alive during the second 100 of a double century, and then rolls out of bed the next morning ready to do it again.

the drugs work!

Last edited by: iron_mike: Aug 26, 18 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
The penalties are not properly applied, nor are they tough enough. It is well known that drafting a long time in a race is easily faster even with a penalty tent session. Plus the legs are fresher. It is cheating.

No, that's an opinion. That's not a fact. Anything you get a time penalty for is a penalty. If you have an issue with the application of the laws you need to start calling out race directors and officials more often for allowing it.

PEDs/Doping, course cutting, sabotaging competitor equipment is cheating.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Aug 26, 18 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be the first one admitting to drafting and whitewashing it. Wow :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done an Ironman, so I've never drafted.

You started a thread about cheating in Ironman and then said the biggest portion was drafting, which is not cheating per the rule book but a time penalty. Unless courses are one loop, we've seen that it is almost impossible to not draft...and that Kona is a draft fest.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>50% of people who do an Ironman are participants and not competitive. I would guess a significant number of them break the rules, but does anyone really care?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheating in IRONMAN estimations [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought peeing on the bike was the answer to drafting?! ( pink- ish)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For the total number of all athletes who have ever completed an Ironman, a fraction of less than 1% have doped.

A fraction of less than 1%? You seem certain so where did you get that figure from?
Last edited by: Sanuk: Aug 26, 18 12:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is a pretty good guesstimate. I think the other cheating is higher though. It amazes me what you see people do when they think no one is watching. You know there are a few wealthy, wealthy individuals that have a motor or magnetic wheel.

So if it’s this high for AGers, how high is it for pros!?

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply

Prev Next