Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheapest way to ship bike
Quote | Reply
I will be shipping my bike from Canada (Vancouver) to Australia (Melborune) and am looking for the cheapest way to do this. It doesn´t matter how long it takes as I won´t be riding for a while.

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to ship bike [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a few great experiences with BikeFlights recently. Very reasonable pricing and simple to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just googled 'international shipping consolidator canada to australia.' Lots of potentially good companies came up. The idea is to have your small shipment be grouped into a larger shipment, thus lowering your costs.

I've been thinking about this. I worked for Fedex for 20 years. I fortunately was able to ship at a greatly reduced discount all over the place.

I plugged in some sample weights/box sizes into an online consolidator and came up with $692 to ship it one way. Whether that's Canadian, Australian or USD, that's still a chunk of change. It might be a better option to rent a bike for a time over there. I'm not sure of your requirements of your own bike and if you'll be racing. Bike rentals in Melbourne look to be about AUS 20 a day for a road bike (looks a step about into level). Carbon bike was 80 a day at Frteddys. Bikenow shows a carbon for $790 a month rental, Allez at $390.

I'm not sure there is a best/least expensive option, however there are options and hopefully one can meet your needs.

Good luck!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Last edited by: themuse1: Dec 21, 18 2:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breaking into small pieces will be cheapest
Last edited by: iamuwere: Dec 21, 18 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to ship bike [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I currently live in Canada, but am going back to Australia, but am travelling first so there is no possibility to take the bike with me. The best I have found is $300-$400 CAD, but just wanted to see if anyone else know of anything cheaper. All the options seem to go via plane, was hoping there was maybe a shipping option that was slower but cheaper! But think I may have already found the best price!

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good! I'm glad you have looked at all possible ways to get that bike there. It sounds like a one way shipment, and definitely if you are moving/returning to Australia, you won't need to rent a bike!

The price you found looks as good as you can get.

Good luck!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
I will be shipping my bike from Canada (Vancouver) to Australia (Melborune) and am looking for the cheapest way to do this. It doesn´t matter how long it takes as I won´t be riding for a while.
Sell and buy a new one? That creates a whole other set of dynamics though...

Flying it there would be the cheapest... know anyone flying from Vancover to Australia that wouldn't mind taking it?

Your freight quote might be the best deal otherwise, international shipping for something like that is $$$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently moved back to the US from Melbourne. If you won't be able to bring your bike on the plane, I'd recommend selling here and buying a new bike over in Australia. With the current exchange rates, and the sheer number of cyclists around Melbourne, you can get incredible value over there.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest way to ship bike [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a friend use Bike Flights for Miami--he said it was excellent and way cheaper than any other place. He stayed a mile from the Fed Ex place so super easy to pick up/drop off.

Any idea about international--say Spain? Just take it on the plane? Tri Bike Transport just seems so bloody expensive. Some airlines international may have a free bike flight. Seems mine was free going to New Zealand once. Don't recall for sure, it was a lifetime ago.
Quote Reply