Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cheapest new style aerobar
Quote | Reply
As far as i have seen the cheapest full aerobar, and they look quite nice although i’m not sure if i will like the high side armpad cups..
But i see the around 500 to 700 euro online. Look like they would fit on mount plates of a SC or P5

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the advantage to these new style aerobars? Is it comfort? Or is it watts saved? What kind of watts savings could someone expect from the new arm cradling aerobars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They would tear the bolts out on an SC (one piece bars put a lot more strain on the bracket than a separate extension and armrest)
Maybe could fit on an EX10 but still risky
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
What is the advantage to these new style aerobars? Is it comfort? Or is it watts saved? What kind of watts savings could someone expect from the new arm cradling aerobars?

There is some aero savings because the forearms and extensions aren't two, separated units from a drag perspective. However, the main advantage is comfort (and thus ability to stay in aero) because the weight is distributed along more of the forearm. There is also more surface contact/friction, reducing the forward saddle slide for many riders.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a month and I will be releasing my design for pre sell.

I am supposed to get pre production by the end of this month and applying patents this month as well.

I agree about the strength of standard aerobar attachment. Something like a trek with a simple narrow bar pad attachment wont be strong enough. Something like a profile design has the strength, but then you have the 22.2 extension attachment stuck in the wind.

I am making a universal adapter for 2 riser aerobars and will later make adapters for more brands. I have a good cnc supplier who makes stuff quickly and great quality to help with quick delivery of the custom designs I plan, trek, cervelo and shiv disc tri.

My pre sell will be 20-30% off. So cheaper than what you listed.

I will post on ST first when I have pre production riding samples that I can share.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re planning EX10 Cervelo compatibility then I’m interested.

Any idea on max/min length? My arms are apparently on the freakishly long end of thing and my back of pad to grip measurement is about 415mm

Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's the length of your elbow to wrist? that's a,better measurement for me than to hand grip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AliExpress has one piece carbon bars if you're willing to take the leap. My experience there has been positive, but as you're buying unbranded parts it's always best to be careful and do some research.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
culpritbicycles wrote:
what's the length of your elbow to wrist? that's a,better measurement for me than to hand grip

305mm

Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
However, the main advantage is comfort (and thus ability to stay in aero) because the weight is distributed along more of the forearm. There is also more surface contact/friction, reducing the forward saddle slide for many riders.

I'd be interested in testing this claim... I couldn't possibly imagine it being any easier to stay aero.

Also, if weight is distributed wouldn't friction net out the same?

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [fkt_ftw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fkt_ftw wrote:
AliExpress has one piece carbon bars if you're willing to take the leap. My experience there has been positive, but as you're buying unbranded parts it's always best to be careful and do some research.

I have been on there a few times. You must have seen something different than I've seen, but I've not seen something like the posted equivalent products. I did a quick search and only got some stuff that looked like they bent and attached round tube extensions somehow to a elbow cup half heartedly.

Metrons are like $350? Aren't they "new style"? Also have the normal "Speed Extensions" from Vision are poles that have the look of the one piece ergo stuff.

A lot of the "new" stuff seems to assume that "club hands" are faster as that's the hand grip they put you in. In doing that, to keep the arms on the extensions in the way it is designed you can't really pinky finger it at all. You also seem to lose a few mm of the 10cm rule with the hand grip being such a steep vertical angle. Whereas the AC Ascalons retain the hand grip style you seem could get more of the 10cm useful with the arms.

I'm testing on cheaper parts on the 10cm/hands/angle stuff to see what works. If it is better, I'll likely go adjustable angle shim with Ascalons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
culpritbicycles wrote:

Preach!

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
However, the main advantage is comfort (and thus ability to stay in aero) because the weight is distributed along more of the forearm. There is also more surface contact/friction, reducing the forward saddle slide for many riders.

I'd be interested in testing this claim... I couldn't possibly imagine it being any easier to stay aero.

E

I don't really see a comfort advantage from putting extension further up the arms, it feels nice to have contact over a larger area but steering doesn't really happen with the wrists.

The advantage is in aero - speedbar claim 11-23w (presumably at 50kph)
I haven't tunnel tested but getting the extension in front of the arms does some nice things in CFD simulations
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

E

I don't really see a comfort advantage from putting extension further up the arms, it feels nice to have contact over a larger area but steering doesn't really happen with the wrists.

I haven't tunnel tested but getting the extension in front of the arms does some nice things in CFD simulations

I agree with you that this is the claim and that this is also the thing that makes them good. I think the other stuff is just "received wisdom" being regurgitated.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It feels a lot less cluttered to look down and see only arms and front wheel, no extensions in view
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

I wouldn't say easier to stay aero, but definitely more comfortable on the arms. Back in the late 80s, I replaced my stock armrests with some Flite Controls, which were nearly twice as long as the stock ones (about half the length of my forearms), and the difference in comfort was night and day.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:

Comfort mainly but it can be aero too. If you are more comfy you stay in aero longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

E

Having greater surface area to stay on from large pads has helped me stay in aero for a longer duration of time than the previous stock pads/pad holders I had.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

E

Having greater surface area to stay on from large pads has helped me stay in aero for a longer duration of time than the previous stock pads/pad holders I had.

So what, your elbows and hands would fail?

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

E

E

Fail? No. But make no mistake the speedbar with additional support for the forearm expands the load bearing surface area beyond just your elbows and this creates additional comfort in the position.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

No

Source: race cars?
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

E

E

Fail? No. But make no mistake the speedbar with additional support for the forearm expands the load bearing surface area beyond just your elbows and this creates additional comfort in the position.

Right I get that but I don't understand how it "helps you stay aero" *longer*, like, what was so bad before that you couldn't stay aero? The only thing I can't stay on my TT bike is sitting up on the hoods.

E

Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

E

In a GCN interview the owner and fabricator of Speedbar said 4w-12w and every rider was different. I believe that….
Last edited by: scca_ita: Oct 13, 21 19:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

E

E

Right I get that but I don't understand how it "helps you stay aero" *longer*, like, what was so bad before that you couldn't stay aero? The only thing I can't stay on my TT bike is sitting up on the hoods.

E

I learned the hard way that small pads is NOT the same as bigger pads for aerobars.

I bought a new Premier Tactical, which is a great bike, but not a perfect one. It comes with the smallest aerobar arm pads/holders that I have ever seen. Small rectangles, probably 2/3rds the size of a 'normal' ergo cup. Still plenty solid for support.

Turns out that in my left forearm, that small area of contact leads to a cutoff in my arm circulation if I hold aero for more than 15 minutes. I've spent 5 months trying to adapt to it, thinking it would get better, but it hasn't.

I recently removed them and installed 'regular' Profile design round cups/pads, and voila - arm circulation problems gone.

So there is something to be said about cups/pads that are too small, and it probably varies per person (or arm, in my case). But I could definitely believe that such long arm holders would more gently redistribute pressure on the forearms, leading to more comfort.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest new style aerobar [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my model will come in different length options and have your length covered. even longer is,possible
Quote Reply

Prev Next