Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheap homemade electrolytes?
Quote | Reply
I'm using Carbo-Pro and sea salt with a lot of success, but I'd like to add in the rest of the calcium/magnesium/potassium minerals. Does anybody have a cheap way to get this stuff in a form that's usable on race day?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap homemade electrolytes? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbo-Pro is pure maltodextrin, so if you're looking to save money, I'd advise you to buy maltodextrin in bulk. It can be bought very cheap at brewing supplies stores.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap homemade electrolytes? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I did and it's pure genius. Found out about that here and on another thread. I'm paying 1/10th the price of before, so now I can afford to use it all I want. Sea salt seems to work fine for up to 4 hours, but I'm a little wary of 10+ on IM day. I'm wondering if there's an easy to handle electrolyte pill or powder combo that isn't marked up 10x what it should be for the triathlon crowd.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
I'm using Carbo-Pro and sea salt with a lot of success, but I'd like to add in the rest of the calcium/magnesium/potassium minerals. Does anybody have a cheap way to get this stuff in a form that's usable on race day?

If you're eating a healthy diet, you should have excellent reserves of all the other electrolytes except sodium. That said, lite salt can be used as a cheap potassium source.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: May 9, 11 17:31
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap homemade electrolytes? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks! That's solid advice. I drink a tall boy of coconut juice (Amy and Brian's) every day and it's loaded with magnesium and potassium. I'll keep going the sea salt route until problems come up. It seems to be working really well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try your local pharmacy. They usually keep salt tabs behind the counter, so you might have to ask. I don't know if they are cheaper that way. Joe gets them in bulk for his construction workers from an industrial first aid supplier.

Support Crew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much sea salt do you use per bottle (~24oz)? I use nuun right now and it works fairly well for me. It has all the electrolytes and is still light enough to be fine on my stomach.

Quote | Reply
Just a few shakes.

Quote Reply
Re: Cheap homemade electrolytes? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It can be bought very cheap at brewing supplies stores."

5# of maltodextrin ended up costing me about the same as Carbo-Pro when you figure in the home brewers kit I ended up getting while I was there, although I guess if you subtract out the cost of the resulting 2 cases of beer I'm coming out way ahead.

Quote Reply